Author Topic: Which is a Better Deal?  (Read 15293 times)

Offline pz

Re: Which is a Better Deal?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »
When I get spares, I love to take the tips (that strip across the top) and cut it into strips, pound 'em out pretty flat, weave 'em onto a skewers, add the rub, then smoke 'em along with the ribs for about an hour.  They make terrific snacks while you're waiting for the ribs to finish and being on a stick...well, its like eatin' candy.

That's a great idea!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
When I get spares, I love to take the tips (that strip across the top) and cut it into strips, pound 'em out pretty flat, weave 'em onto a skewers, add the rub, then smoke 'em along with the ribs for about an hour.  They make terrific snacks while you're waiting for the ribs to finish and being on a stick...well, its like eatin' candy.

Jaxon that is an excellent use for that strip. I never thought to do that. Two thumbs up buddy!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
Great topic! I like seeing how others use trimmings.

Here's my 2ยข - I prefer whole cuts and have learned how to have very little, if any, waste.

Rib roasts:
I get bone-in rib roasts (usually around $5.99/lb.) and get at least a couple meals out of it.  I usually slice the bones off and save them for the beef back ribs and save the fat trimmings for adding to deer sausage, etc. when needed. Then I have a boneless prime rib roast, or slice into steaks. No waste.

Spareribs:
I choose the whole untrimmed spares every time. Other than the membrane & silver skin there's no waste here; only trimmings that have many uses.

The rib tips are excellent smoked just like the ribs. Every time I smoke the tips and serve them alongside the ribs they disappear just as quickly with no complaints. I love 'em; they're actually very succulent.

If the end pieces are big enough they make excellent pork cutlets. If not, they get cut into stir-fry meat along with the skirt flap.

Whole bone-in Pork Loin:
The pork version of a rib roast. This is the cheapest way to buy baby back ribs!

Most butchers will cut the whole loin any way you like. Why not take advantage of that? Instead of having it sliced into chops, I ask the butcher to cut off the chine bone (use it for making stock).  Then the rib bones can be easily sliced away giving you a rack of baby back ribs at less than half the cost you would normally pay for them!

You then have the whole boneless pork loin to do with as you please; Boneless loin chops, loin roast, Canadian bacon, etc.

Well, that was my two cents, anyone want change back?     :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:49:31 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
Very good
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
Super tips! Thank you.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:06 PM »
Indeed, great tips, especially about the bone-in pork loin - I've actually never seen it at the local small town markets, but will be sure to ask the next time I'm at the butcher shop in the big city.