Author Topic: Old Wire Brushes  (Read 13328 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Old Wire Brushes
« Reply #-1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:50 AM »
I was looking at my grill brush and I remembered  an article I read awhile back about the dangers of the the small pieces of wire on grill brushes breaking off and getting on the meat or vegetables as they are grilled.  The result being that they got lodged in peoples throats and they would have to go to the ER and get taken care of or have an operation.

The problem seems to be with old brushes as they begin to wear out the wire tends to dislodge and get on the grates and then the food.  So, check your grill brushes and see if they need replacing.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Old Wire Brushes
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:10:13 AM »
Always had good  luck with the Weber T brushes in terms of nothing coming off.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
I use a pumice stone then wipe the grates down with a micro fiber cloth. Cleans well and no residue or wires.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »
I haven't used a pumice stone since my Old Fry Cook days...that brought back some memories. I am guilty of using my brushes a little too long than I should....I better swing by the Depot later......Thanks Dee for bringing this to our attention  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
Wife was saying the other day that we need a new wire brush, thanks For the reminder Dee
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I haven't used a pumice stone since my Old Fry Cook days...that brought back some memories. I am guilty of using my brushes a little too long than I should....I better swing by the Depot later......Thanks Dee for bringing this to our attention  :)
I started using them again when I got my Blackstone... nothing better. They are great on the Baking Steel as well.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
Very good advice.  ;)

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:10 AM »
Thanks, Mom.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
this just happen to me the other day cleaning the weber q.  took everything about and washed down w/ water then seasoning again.  all better.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
Happened to me a year or two ago - inch long stainless steel wires ion the grill.  Inspected the brush, and it was old and should have been replaced much sooner.  The synthetic black material which housed the bristles had been compromised over the months by too much heat, causing bristles to come loose.

Take home lesson for me: don't expose the brush to excessive heat, and replace them more frequently.  I've not had a problem since, and I carefully inspect the grill after each brushing.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:56 AM »
I use the Weber T brush too and find that it works a lot better than my other
cheapie brushes.  I have started to clean my grates all the time now with balled of foil. This
works really well especially with the roller grates on the Grid Iron.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
I use a Char-Broil Brush Hog that you can replace the wire brushes on. Works good for me.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »
Hey all you Grill Grate users,
What do you use to clean the deep troughs on a day to day basis, vs. putting in the dishwasher, etc. I'm using the "tool" to get any big chunks out, but there is a lot of "gunk" that can build up.
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
I've just cleaned mine David. The Grill Grate people say to clean semi-annually by soaking in hot/warm soapy water, scrubbing with a SOS pad or steel wool. Before doing this I got the majority of chunks out with the tool. Came out nice. I'm good for 50 more cooks now!  :o

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
Thanks, Gene. I guess it's time for that anyway. I was just hoping to a bit better between cooks.
Member #