Author Topic: Is This A Fair Price?  (Read 14983 times)

Offline hikerman

Is This A Fair Price?
« Reply #-1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
I ordered tri-tip from my local butcher shop. Could not order one as he said they'd go bad before he could sell them. No problem, came 5 in a package, 17 lbs. at 3.99/lb. It is graded as choice. Good price?

Offline flbentrider

Re: Is This A Fair Price?
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
I pay $6.99/lb when I can find them.

Offline Pappymn

Is This A Fair Price?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
$6.79 at Costco.  Choice as well. You got a good price
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
My butcher told me he appreciates my business and would sell it to me at the same price he pays from his packing house. We ordered them on Sat. and they were delivered today.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
Hey Pappy,

Up in Fridley - headed over tomorrow - http://www.bobsproduce.com/Shop/WeeklyAd.aspx  - Page 2

Keep your fingers crossed.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
That is a great price.  My two butchers both stock them regularly, and I pay between $4.50 and $5 a pound (choice) when they are on "sale."  They both charge $5.99 regular for choice.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
Oh one thing I failed to mention, they need to be trimmed. They have a fat cap, the fella said he could cut it off if I wanted, but I decided to do it myself. I actually felt a little guilty if he wasn't making any money on the deal. I can't wait to cook my first one....

Offline Pappymn

Is This A Fair Price?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »

Oh one thing I failed to mention, they need to be trimmed. They have a fat cap, the fella said he could cut it off if I wanted, but I decided to do it myself. I actually felt a little guilty if he wasn't making any money on the deal. I can't wait to cook my first one....

Mine come trimmed. Would be curious how much you end up trimming off. I have never seen an untrimmed one
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »
Pappy, I'm going to open the bag tomorrow. I just got a new vac. sealer so I'm going to trim and seal, in the a.m. I'll post a pic or two for you.

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:51:18 AM »
... I just got a new vac. sealer ...

You'll never regret purchasing the vacuum sealer - I have food in the freezer in FoodSaver bags that are months old, yet look as good as the day I sealed them.  In contrast, the ZipLoc bags that I formerly used for freezer storage would always result in the formation if ice crystals in the bag as well as freezer burned meat.

The FoodSaver might not be the best quality sealer on the market, and I'm almost ready to invest in something better, but it sure saved me lots of $ in what would have been ruined food.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 01:48:50 AM »

Mine come trimmed. Would be curious how much you end up trimming off. I have never seen an untrimmed one

We have them trimmed and untrimmed here. There is not an enormous amount of fat but it could be a 1/2 lb or up to 1 lb.

Even the trimmed ones I find here are only trimmed on the part you see from the package. You lift it up and look at the bottom to see a big layer of fat ??? Costco does not do this however.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 05:21:40 AM »
I ordered tri-tip from my local butcher shop. Could not order one as he said they'd go bad before he could sell them. No problem, came 5 in a package, 17 lbs. at 3.99/lb. It is graded as choice. Good price?

Not only is that a good price, it's a GREAT price! Next time you are in the shop, take your butcher a couple hunks of the cooked Tri-Tip  :)

Just a suggestion for freezing........I like to lay the meat on a cookie tray with wax paper or foil and set in the freezer (if you have room) for about 45-60 minutes and then vacuum pak them. Not as messy  ;)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »

Not only is that a good price, it's a GREAT price! Next time you are in the shop, take your butcher a couple hunks of the cooked Tri-Tip  :)

Just a suggestion for freezing........I like to lay the meat on a cookie tray with wax paper or foil and set in the freezer (if you have room) for about 45-60 minutes and then vacuum pak them. Not as messy  ;)
Thanks Rumm for the advice, and I will bring my butcher some finished product. You are right, hopefully he'll enjoy it.
After trimming the fat layer off, I ended up with 12 1/4 lbs. of lean meat. That comes out to about 4.90/lb. still a good price judging from what everyone else pays. 
A few pics since Pappy was interested.   Now to put a good rub on one and vac. seal the rest.
Thank you everyone for your advice!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappymn

Is This A Fair Price?
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Thank you sir!
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »
You are welcome Pappy. It didn't take too long to remove the fat cap on the 5 roasts, 'bout 10 min. each. I kept the fat and vac. sealed it as well, to try Old Daves recipe for white burger meat.