Author Topic: While we're talking photogs...lemme ask this  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Jaxon

While we're talking photogs...lemme ask this
« Reply #-1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
I size my pics to jpeg format and 640x480 (or close to that).  The pics are small when displayed on the forum.

I see a number of pics that are much larger.  When I shoot large pics, I get a message that the file is too large.

What is the max size of a pic to post?

just askin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: While we're talking photogs...lemme ask this
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
It isn't the size of the image but the size of the file (512KB).  Changing the image size will impact the file size, but so will changing the image quality if the editing program you are using has that option.  The easier way around the issue for this forum (and others that support it) is to upload the files to Photobucket (free) and paste the link listed next to IMG.  The only downside is that if you delete teh file or move the file in Photobucket the link becomes dead in the post.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
For me, the actual image size (in pixels) is dependent upon the purpose of the pic and how it fits into the post.

• For general purposes pics where I want a little detail, but don't need a lot,  640 x 480 is an good size, they will fit nicely without having to scroll a lot.

640 pixels wide

• For pics that aren't as important where I'm just trying to show a step for visual reference, but don't need a lot of detail, I like to go around 400 - 500 pixels wide.

400 pixels wide

Money shots is where is use higher resolution pics (relative to web design).  On SMF forums (like LTBBQ) you can go as high as 1,000 pixels, but rarely do I go above 800 pixels wide, or the pic starts to not fit (depending on screen resolution and other factors). Most folks like being able to see the entire picture comfortably without having to scroll.

I usually stick to around 800 pixels wide for money shots.

800 pixels wide

That's my take on it at least.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:15:57 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
Jaxon..when I post pics I have to reduce them because I use a 5 mp on my camera..my pics come out with the 400 x 600 when they are uploaded., but if I click on the pic..it increases in size.; go figure.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
If you want to resize or reduce the size of your image files in order to upload to this site, irfanview is the best freeware image tool I have found - images load instantly, and all I do is save the image to 75% quality which makes the file size significantly smaller. 

However, for my own pics, that is way too much trouble.  I take my pics at 10 mp resolution and upload them directly to Picasa web albums - they are full size, but I limit to a maximum of 2048x2048 pixels because that way Google will allow me to store unlimited numbers of photos. Picasa will resize on the fly. You can use Photobucket or any hosting site.

When I want a pic to display in a certain size in a post, I just capture the share url in Picasa, and change the forum's image tag (second row of buttons, first button on the left) to read whatever I want the image width to be.  For example this is how the first part of the image tag looks like when the button is clicked:

[img] - this will display the image at full size

Now, if you want to change the size on the fly simply type in the width parameter like this:

[img width=400]
will display a thumbnail 400 pixels wide - if a member is interested in seeing the picture larger, just click on it and it jumps to full size - click it again, and it returns to the thumbnail

[img width=200] will display at 200 pixels wide, and so on
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:33:48 PM by pz »

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »
When I want a pic to display in a certain size in a post, I just capture the share url in Picasa, and change the forum's image tag (second row of buttons, first button on the left) to read whatever I want the image width to be.  For example this is how the first part of the image tag looks like when the button is clicked:

Now, if you want to change the size on the fly simply type in the width parameter like this:

[img width=400]
will display a thumbnail 400 pixels wide - if a member is interested in seeing the picture larger, just click on it and it jumps to full size - click it again, and it returns to the thumbnail

[img width=200] will display at 200 pixels wide, and so on

If you're using Picasa for hosting, there's an easy undocumented way to change the size after you paste the [lMG] code.

If you look at the [lMG] code url, you will see a tag with an "s" followed by a number, like this:

[lMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i0vop3XuVBY/UtNz7lGP3RI/AAAAAAAAGXU/gYc3EtZxvqI/s800/BAV07.JPG[/lMG]

This is what tells Picasa's server how to scale the photo. The number represents the pixel width or height (whichever is greater). Change the number and it will be scaled accordingly.  You can use this trick in combo with the "width=X" trick as well to set both the preview and full view sizes.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68