Author Topic: Need Roast Advice  (Read 22190 times)

Offline Saber 4

Re: Need Roast Advice
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »
And now I'm hungry!!!! :)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
Ok, went down to my favourite butcher shop and reviewed what he had on display. He couldn't find anything so I got to see in the back, way to much fun. We looked at few more and didn't see anything I liked.

So I left it with him, I want ribs 4,5,6 with good marbling.

Now how to prepare. I'm going with Mr. Ka Honu's advice and the temp will 170F till finished with a high heat sear 500F. Will need that for the yourshire anyway.

This is the recipe I will follow, any comments appreciated ;D
   http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/slow-roasted-beef-standing-rib-roast.aspx

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »
I've become a "slice the bones off (or almost off), season and reassemble with twine" before cooking guy.  Easier to carve and distributes the seasoning to all surfaces of the roast as well as the bones.

CDN - Let us know how that rub works out - sounds interesting.

Also, in a low temp cook, most of the juices stay in the meat instead of dripping into the roasting pan so you may need to adjust any plans for gravy or au jus.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
What Turtle said... and you can probably find good info about that prep and cook style on America's Test Kitchen or Cooks Country. Same outfit - 2 different programs....I have seen the episode.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
I've become a "slice the bones off (or almost off), season and reassemble with twine" before cooking guy.

I used to do that, but anymore I leave the bones off in favor of more surface area for more crust.  I save the rib bones for beef ribs & use the chine bone (the flat boney plate) for making stock.  Just another option.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Need Roast Advice
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
We are really lucky to have Rummm as a resource. He always does a great job with great pics.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Thanks Rummm for clearing that up for me. I will get this one day.
Love to cook and eat

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
We are really lucky to have Rummm as a resource. He always does a great job with great pics.

Totally agree, this has and still is a great learning experience.

What Turtle said... and you can probably find good info about that prep and cook style on America's Test Kitchen or Cooks Country. Same outfit - 2 different programs....I have seen the episode.

I have watched the video at least twice. Will watch it again, thanks "T". This time I would like to try off the bone according to Cooks.

Tent, please thank Scooter for his advice. I won't touch the roast until the temp stabilizes and starts to drop.

From Cooks Line of fine magazines ;D. Well worth the investment for an on line subscription. Hope it's ok to say this.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Using sharp knife, cut slits in surface layer of fat, spaced 1 inch apart, in crosshatch pattern, being careful to cut down to, but not into, meat. Rub 2 tablespoons salt over entire roast and into slits. Place meat back on bones (to save space in refrigerator), transfer to large plate, and refrigerate, uncovered, at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours.
Not sure I will rub and leave the roast in the fridge for 96hrs, 24hrs for sure

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until just smoking. Sear sides and top of roast (reserving bone) until browned, 6 to 8 minutes total (do not sear side where roast was cut from bone). Place meat back on ribs, so bones fit where they were cut, and let cool for 10 minutes; tie meat to bones with 2 lengths of twine between ribs. Transfer roast, fat side up, to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet and season with pepper. Roast until meat registers 110 degrees, 3 to 4 hours.
as I said earlier I would like to try 170F, anyone have a time per pound/kg at this temp?

don't think I will use the rest of the recipe, back to the one I posted
3. Turn off oven; leave roast in oven, opening door as little as possible, until meat registers about 120 degrees for rare or about 125 degrees for medium-rare, 30 to 75 minutes longer.

4. Remove roast from oven (leave roast on baking sheet), tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for at least 30 minutes and up to 75 minutes.

5. Adjust oven rack about 8 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. Remove foil from roast, form into 3-inch ball, and place under ribs to elevate fat cap. Broil until top of roast is well browned and crisp, 2 to 8 minutes.

6. Transfer roast to carving board; cut twine and remove roast from ribs. Slice meat into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Season with coarse salt to taste, and serve.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
I wonder why they sear it first and still brown it in a hot oven later. Searing in this case seems like an old habit we no longer remember why we do.  It doesn't "lock in" flavors or moisture - we do it on a grill with steak (where cooking time is relatively short) simply because most people can go from a hot grill to a cooler one much faster than cooler to hot.

At 170o I usually figure for about 40 minutes a pound but I use a remote thermometer to tell me when it's done. The good news is that you can rest the roast before browning anywhere up to 90 minutes so you get some flexibility in serving time if it gets done earlier than you thought it would.

I don't salt or season that far ahead although I do try to let most meat "dry" in the fridge for a day. In my world you only salt ahead if you want to dry brine for some reason. On a Choice or Prime standing rib, I'm good with the way it comes off the cow until about ten minutes before it goes in the oven.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
I'll keep this here for now.

I was called down to my butcher shop to pick up my roast. He didn't want to open it up until I OKed it. I said ok crack her,

Cutting out my 4 to 7 bones

Side view

I was going to leave the bones on but changed my mine. I should have had him let me do it  :(

He tied the bones back on and into the vac

Here's what I call "Shock and Aww". He said this is a Black Angus, better marbling than Triple A ???

Ok here is where I'm asking for comments.

3.346kg = 7.377lbs X 40min per lb = 295.04 / 60 = 4.917 hrs @ 170F. I'm hoping this will give me a cut with a fork tender roast ;D

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline Pappymn

Need Roast Advice
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »
What time we eating buddy? That is a fine looking piece of beef!
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
If it is good grain fed Canadian beef...Will it taste like a Molson? 8) I like Molson and steak!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
Cocktails & h'orderves at 4:30. Dinner will be served at 6 ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »

Putting on jet-pack and cross country skis now. Hey Pappy - wanna race to Drew's house? ;D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Need Roast Advice
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »

Putting on jet-pack and cross country skis now. Hey Pappy - wanna race to Drew's house? ;D :D

You have no shot buddy. I'll enjoy your piece of that fine meat.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109