Author Topic: Need Roast Advice  (Read 22189 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Need Roast Advice
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:18 PM »
 :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
Here is Phil's easy roast instructions...

Have the butcher remove the meat from the ribs and season well.  I use Awake-a-Steak.  Tie back on the ribs.  Have the exact weight. Dust the fat cap with flour and put in fridge. Keep in fridge until moved to the oven. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 500 degrees. Now do the math. 5 minutes per pound. 10 pounds equals 50 minutes. Take from fridge and put in oven and start timer for the amount of minutes needed. Be sure that you rest the roast on its ribs in the pan. When the time expires, turn off the oven.  Do not open the door for another 90 minutes. When finished you have a browned roast that is perfect med rare and very juicy.  Never fails. Try it just once.  Best  Phil

I have yet to try it but he told me it works every time! Man I sure miss that guy :'(

I saw this and decided I had to try it.  Although I realize pre-seasoning and low and slow cooking would be the way to go for a perfect rib roast, I thought that if this was any good, it would make having some prime rib for dinner after a day of work easy.  Anyway, I ran down to a local store and got a 6 1/2 pound standing rib roast for about $43, cut the bones out, put some sea salt and fresh pepper on, tied the bones back on, dusted the fat cap with flour and put into the fridge while the oven heated up.  My only adjustment was to do 6 minutes per pound since my wife won't eat if too rare, and having to heat up the grill to cook hers a little more would of ended the quick and easy concept.  Anyway, after turning the oven off I prepped some hasselbeck potatoes, and threw them on the SRG with about 55 minutes of resting left. 

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures, I had a lot going on and was hungry..  But the roast was cooked perfectly, had a nice crust and nice and juicy, but not to raw for my wife.  It wasn't as tender as a low and slow would be, but it was very good for a quick and easy dinner, and only cost a little more than getting takeout from one of the local restaurants.  This is not a cook I would do on a weekend when I want to spend time preparing some great meat, or when I had guests coming over for a nice dinner, but I WILL do it again for a quick and easy dinner.
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
Daze I am glad that Phil's recipe worked for you. If he was still around he would be very happy to hear that :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven