Author Topic: Fresh Meat or Frozen....which is better?  (Read 14832 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Fresh Meat or Frozen....which is better?
« Reply #-1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:36 AM »
Like I've been saying for years, freeze it quick and thaw it slow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/24/3957887/which-is-better-fresh-meat-or.html
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Fresh Meat or Frozen....which is better?
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:35:59 AM »
Thanks for posting this Rummm.  I am way guilty of not thawing properly.  I tend to make last minute decisions to cook and will even start a cook with frozen meat (have done it with large butts and even packers).  The results aren't ideal, but it beats not eating Q when you are surprised by the weather or find yourself with some time to cook.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
Thanks for posting this Rummm!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:07:01 AM »
The article is accurate if
1 you froze the meat .
2 you controlled the freezing
3 you thawing properly
if it is a shop frozen meat you don't know how many times it was Thawed .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Good article, I will have to share this with someone I know that insists on thawing meat by setting it outside in direct sunlight.  Needless to say I avoid eating anything they cook. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
Good Article.  Short, plain and easy to understand.

if it is a shop frozen meat you don't know how many times it was Thawed.

Good point Ahron, and chicken is a prime example.  In the U.S. chicken can be taken down to 26° F (-3° C) and still be legally labeled as "fresh." 

USDA Meat and Poultry Labeling Terms

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:28:32 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:39:57 AM »
Obviously there are very few people out there that have a blast freezer in their home. And using liquid nitrogen to freeze you meats is less than ideal.

But if you let you meat sit in a bath of ice water vac sealed before freezing can help reduce the damage the ice crystals cause to the meat. Putting the meat in the freezer when it is near freezing temp should help.

And I always try and let the meat thaw in the fridge but sometimes that is not always practical. A ice chest filled with ice water can allow you to slowly thaw large meats while leaving valuable space in your fridge.

I have been known to start my pellet smoker with a completely frozen butt at 180F then when it is thawed bump up the temp. They still come out good. ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
Obviously there are very few people out there that have a blast freezer in their home. And using liquid nitrogen to freeze you meats is less than ideal.

But if you let you meat sit in a bath of ice water vac sealed before freezing can help reduce the damage the ice crystals cause to the meat. Putting the meat in the freezer when it is near freezing temp should help.

And I always try and let the meat thaw in the fridge but sometimes that is not always practical. A ice chest filled with ice water can allow you to slowly thaw large meats while leaving valuable space in your fridge.

I have been known to start my pellet smoker with a completely frozen butt at 180F then when it is thawed bump up the temp. They still come out good. ;)

One of the common reasons for freezer burn is the "auto defrosting" freezer. If you can acquire a commercial type of freezer - you will find that vacuum bagged meats will not get freezer burn like meats stored in a auto defrosting freezer. In order to auto defrost, a timer tells the freezer to come up to 40-42F for a period of time, in order for any accumulated frost/ice int he freezer to melt and run out of the drain to a pan below the freezer. (It evaporates from there.) But, in so doing, the the temperature being above freezing for typically an hour or more  - allows the meat to begin thawing at the edges. Then it re-freezes. Because this cycle can occur 2 or more times in a 24 hour period ( the exact length of the auto-defrost cycle and frequency varies among manufacturers)- you can see why you have a limited amount of time for meat in the freezer - before it begins to degrade from freezer burn, or frosting/ice crystal formation, mores on the edges than the middle or thicker parts of the meat.
Some freezers have a switch that allows you to turn off the auto defrost. I recommend this wholeheartedly. You will have to manually defrost your freezer, but if you are careful, you can go a year - maybe more - between defrosting.
Bottom line: all vacuum packed frozen goods will last longer this way.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:46:24 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Good reading and advice ;D

I usually empty my freezer about every 3 years and give it a good cleaning.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
Good read, thanks for posting. How does this apply to meat that was packaged and frozen at the packer and then thawed to sell at the grocery store? I usually break the packages down and vacuum seal in 2 serving portions and into the deep freeze.

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
Good read, thanks for posting. How does this apply to meat that was packaged and frozen at the packer and then thawed to sell at the grocery store? I usually break the packages down and vacuum seal in 2 serving portions and into the deep freeze.

I have no problem with freezing meat twice, as long as the thawing process never got above 40°. But, how do we know that?? Unless you do it yourself, it's a 50/50 guess. If there is too much liquid in the package at the store, I don't buy it. It also helps to get to know some of the store personnel, as you can ask if they have some of the product that is still frozen. 

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »

I have no problem with freezing meat twice, as long as the thawing process never got above 40°. But, how do we know that?? Unless you do it yourself, it's a 50/50 guess. If there is too much liquid in the package at the store, I don't buy it. It also helps to get to know some of the store personnel, as you can ask if they have some of the product that is still frozen.

Thanks, that's a good idea to ask for frozen product.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
It's my understanding that with seafood it is best to buy frozen unless you can get it right off the boat or catch it yourself.  The reason being that most of the bigger boats have freezer onboard and quickly freeze the catch as soon as they can; whereas, otherwise it's hauled around and delivered.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
It's my understanding that with seafood it is best to buy frozen unless you can get it right off the boat or catch it yourself.  The reason being that most of the bigger boats have freezer onboard and quickly freeze the catch as soon as they can; whereas, otherwise it's hauled around and delivered.  Dee

Yuppers!