Author Topic: Hard chicken pieces  (Read 12243 times)

Offline jtrainor56

Hard chicken pieces
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:49:18 PM »
We almost always buy Perdue boneless and skinless chicken from BJ"S, which is a bulk store like Sam's Club. I buy the cutlets packaged with 4-5 cutlets individually packed with 6 packs to the package.
Anyway for some reason we get a few pieces to of this package that are tough and hard after being cooked and was wondering what causes this. I always use my Thermapen when I cook so I know these are where they should be temp wise.
I haven't had this problem with Perdue thighs or breasts, although we picked up 20lbs of boneless/skinless breasts from a farm market where they raise and process their own chicken and had a breast that was the same way, tough to eat and hard. In these cases we just throw those pieces out.
Thank you,
~Joe
Yoder YS640, Weber Genesis E310, Thermapen, 2-Maverick ET732, Q-Mats, AMNTS 12" & 6"

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Hard chicken pieces
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
Practically most, but not ALL, chicken sold at retail level is Grade A. Chicken in this category will be firm, full breasted, meaty, no blemishes, no broken skin or broken bones. Grades B and C can have any or all of the defects listed above. As a rule, when supermarkets feature a loss leader item, such as .69¢  Leg Quarters, etc, they are Grade B or C and the grade label or may not even be labeled at all. If the word "blem" is mentioned, consider it B or C.

Big box stores will buy what they can get at a good price and some of that chicken will not be perfect and will have trimmings mixed in with them. Look what I got at Costco......

Pulled a pak of Goldkist Bnls Thighs (purchased at Costco) out of the freezer y'day so I could try the Millers Dry Brine on them for dinner.

Here is what I ended up with this morning  ??? Three dinky thighs and a sh*tload of trimmings   >:(

Yeah, some of those little nuggets are hard to eat
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Tough chicken does exist - that's what traditional stewed chicken recipes were designed for. But those old stewing hens are not common in US markets, and if available are clearly marked as such. From the producer's perspective, it is best to sell the chicken as young and tender as possible, giving the most money for their investment.
Overcooking will also contribute to a hard and stringy piece of breast meat but you thermo-penned at 160° F, so that's out. Sometimes marinating will help with the bulk chicken meat toughness...

Offline jtrainor56

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
Thank you both. Up until last year I never came across this. Maybe I need to start raising my own chickens!  ::)
~Joe
Yoder YS640, Weber Genesis E310, Thermapen, 2-Maverick ET732, Q-Mats, AMNTS 12" & 6"

Offline Pappymn

Hard chicken pieces
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
Jeez Rummm. I just opened the exact same chicken today and it was all in one piece. I expect a higher quality level from a Costco vendor. Bet they would welcome your comment on that.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »
Jeez Rummm. I just opened the exact same chicken today and it was all in one piece. I expect a higher quality level from a Costco vendor. Bet they would welcome your comment on that.

A coupon for $30 worth of free chicken. :)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Pappymn

Hard chicken pieces
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »
That's my Costco
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109