Author Topic: 61st ANNUAL MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES BARBEQUE  (Read 7462 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
61st ANNUAL MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES BARBEQUE
« Reply #-1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
As you might know by now, Wendy and I are planning on pitching our tents up in Crestline, California. Crestline is a wonderful little mountain community where people get involved and do good things. Our new best buddy Aaron (Crestlodge Historic Mountain Cabins) told us about this wonderful event that has been going on for a long long time. It is coming up September 6th and would like to invite my local (and not so local) forum friends to come on up the mountain for a darn good time. Wendy and I have volunteered to help with the pre-BBQ prep (y'all know Old Smoke likes to do pre-BBQ prep  ;) ) and we are quite honored to be a part of this time honored wonderful event that happens every summer in Crestline.

Here is some info to get ya all started. As I get more info, I will get it posted here and of course you can bet you will get a bunch of pictures of the event from us.

Hope to see ya in Crestline on the 6th of September, until then I got some good reading for ya ( and a cool poster as well  8) ):

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: 61st ANNUAL MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES BARBEQUE
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Here is your reading material to get you going:

61st ANNUAL MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES BARBEQUE
IN TWIN PEAKS

For the sixty-first year in a row, the Mountain Communities BBQ will again be held in Twin Peaks, at the Rim of the World Masonic Lodge on Saturday September 6th. This annual event has long been the summer high point for thousands of mountain residents and summer visitors for over half a century, and this year promises to be as good as ever.

Six hundred pounds of seasoned prime beef and six hundred pounds of pork will be loaded into the old fashioned, deep pit BBQ and slow cooked for over twenty hours, arising just before noon on Saturday to meet the hungry masses attending. Complimenting the beef and pork as usual, will be the infamous “Hillbilly BBQ Sauce” and an abundance of side dishes including baked beans, cole-slaw, fresh rolls and cookies for dessert! 

A wide variety of curiosities and attractions are always part of this annual get-together. The car and motorcycle show will be back as will be the music, door-prizes, and an assortment of local vendors with goodies for the young and old alike. Also on permanent display, and of particular interest, is “The Ol’ Logging Wagon”. Originally constructed in 1898, this enormous solid-wheel wagon was used to haul freshly fallen timber to saw mills that were active in the San Bernardino Mountains at that time. This monument is a significant part of the area’s rich history, and if you ask any one of the old-timers that will likely be present, you’re sure to get more information about that wagon than you probably want.

Tickets for the BBQ will be available the day of the event at the Masonic Center, 26012 Hwy-189, in Twin Peaks, and by phone in advance at 909-589-6281 with serving to start at high noon, and ending 5:00 pm-ish. Ticket donations are $12 for adults and $8 for children. You can also buy meat by the pound at $8.00 per lb.

Not only an established social event for the local families, friends and neighbors that live on the mountain, this yearly gathering also provides folks from all over the Inland Empire and the High Desert an opportunity to beat-the-heat, make some new friends, and enjoy some real good food in the cool shade of the tall pines.

Best regards,

Aaron Creighton
 909-589-6281
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »
Wendy and I are really looking forward to making this an annual event as well as finding other helpful things to do to help out our future community.

If ya need a place to stay, you can always give Aaron a call at Crest lodge. I don't know if he is booked up but I can tell ya this event sounds like it gets one heck of a turn-out  :)

http://www.crest-lodge.com/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »
Sounds like fun, Smoke! I'll have to see if one of my California clients might just need a visit around that date.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »
wish it wasn't so far away.  i would love to come and meet wendy.  you too smoke but i like girls better.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
wish it wasn't so far away.  i would love to come and meet wendy.  you too smoke but i like girls better.   ::)

can't argue with you on that one Sparky  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Sounds like fun Smoke!

I am about 2 hours away from there.... Hummmm ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:09:05 AM »
Looks like a great event.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
Sounds like fun Smoke!

Just look for the ugly guy in a cowboy hat next to the hot brunette  ;)

Let me know if ya can come up and we will hook up for the day  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Sounds like fun Smoke!

There's so many of us around that fit that description how will we know which ugly guy to look for.  :P :P :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Sounds like fun Smoke!

There's so many of us around that fit that description how will we know which ugly guy to look for.  :P :P :P

:D :D :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Aaron over at Crest Lodge is running a special for the BBQ for Lets Talk BBQ members only.

Mention  "Smokeasaurus" when you order your cabin and you will get 15% off of a historic rustic cabin rental.

You can thank Old Smoke later  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »
Mr and Mrs Spuds will be there!!!We even have that weekend off from work!!

WOOHOO,in our backyard practically!!!!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »
Smoke,are you moving up the mtn?I know some places to eat if you arent familiar with Crestline/Lake Arrowhead area..

You will be at 5 points,where five roads meet at toptown.The cafe there,Crestline Cafe gets the #1 rating for food up here,especially the breakfasts and chili.Large portions and reasonable prices too.

Chef Cindy's Cafe in VOE has very good breakfasts' too.Maybe a mile from you?Rate #2.

The stockade in town has BBQ,but Ive never had it,some say its good.

A real kick is the A across from McDonalds,run by an old German lady.Ever seen the soup Nazi on Seinfeld,she is his mother.Told a guy one day....NO double cheeseburger for you,Youre too fat!!You get single. Another time told a guy....A large shake,I dont think so.You dont need that,you get a regular!! Just a junk food type place with an honest burger menu,beats McD by a mile.She is open.....oh.....when she feels like it.

Some people like Toni's Mexican,Right across street from the Market,Goodwins,which BTW makes a killer large combo meat sub with all the goodies.

For pizza,its up the main road,HWY 18 about 6 miles from lake Gregory is LouEddies Pizza,hands down the most authentic pizza on the hill,last time there they were working on the microbrewery,dont  know if that flew or not,but hey,they even make their own sausage for the artisan pizza.Plus it was an old mining camp,old buildings,awesome outdoor patio/courtyard to eat on,this is a killer winner of a food stop.

Fine dining,Look up the Mission Inn in Riverside,awesome old buildings and very beautiful,Sunday brunch is killer good,and meals are sooooo good.Moderate priced.It is indeed just like being in one of the Missions,historic landmark and all.You can also spend a few hours walking the street there,lots of cool museums.Old Town Riverside.

Muebe,you could make this. ;) ;)

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
Well I checked my schedule and I work that Saturday so I won't be able to make it.... :'(

Sorry Smoke!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven