Author Topic: Was this a good deal on a used GMG Jim Bowie WiFi?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline mreservices

Was this a good deal on a used GMG Jim Bowie WiFi?
« Reply #-1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
I have been wanting to try a pellet grill and really wanted a RecTec RT-680 but it's not in the finances right now with all of the accessories I would want.  I have been watching Craigslist to see if anything interesting came up and one did the other day that had been listed for 5 days.  It was a GMG Jim Bowie Wifi for $700.  I contacted the guy to discuss and it turned out it was purchased on 1/21/17 and had been used for about 10-15 total cooks.  He was moving to Florida and didn't have room to move the grill.   I contacted him on 9/5 and he needed it to be gone by 9/6 before they left. It included the GMG Jim Bowie WiFi grill (as well as manuals, cd and original receipt), GMG cover and a new bag of GMG Fruit pellets.  I made the offer of $600 to him and he took it.  I ended up driving in a downpour to see the grill and bought it on the spot.  I know it was a bit of an impulse buy but figured I can try it for a few months and if I don't like it, I can still sell it and get some of my money back out of it for something else.  It is in great shape.  Looks almost new except he didn't foil the heat shield so I have some cleaning to do.  Did I get a good deal on this grill?
Pit Barrel Cooker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" Gas Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi
Charbroil RED Infrared Gas Grill

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Was this a good deal on a used GMG Jim Bowie WiFi?
« on: September 07, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »
looks like a new one can be had for about $900 so yeah, I think it is a good deal.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
Sounds like a deal to me congrats!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline mreservices

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
I figured a new one plus the pellets and cover would be $977.95 plus 6.5% tax ($1,041.52).  So at least I saved $441.52 from a new one.  Guess I will try it and see how I like it.  Hopefully ok for a first pellet grill.  Maybe a RecTec next year....
Pit Barrel Cooker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
I figured a new one plus the pellets and cover would be $977.95 plus 6.5% tax ($1,041.52).  So at least I saved $441.52 from a new one.  Guess I will try it and see how I like it.  Hopefully ok for a first pellet grill.  Maybe a RecTec next year....
As Dee would say, "You done real good"  ;)   Keep us informed on cooks
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »
I did a product review on the Bowie. It is here on the site. Darn good performer. Get a down draft hood and that Bowie will shine. 

You got a great deal.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mreservices

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
I just went and read your review, unfortunately I could not see any of the pictures of your cooks.  I did go ahead and order a downdraft hood per your recommendation.  Thank you for the heads up on that.  Going to update the firmware this weekend and give it a good cleaning.  Hope to do my first cook this Sunday and will report back with an update.  Thank you again!!
Pit Barrel Cooker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
Photobucket is evil and has probably wiped out all my pics here. The downdraft hood helps keep smoke at grate level and also stabilizes temps and evens them out. Highly recommended for any pellet grill if they are offered.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
Sounds like a deal to me and if you're happy than it's a deal.
Love to cook and eat

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
Pellet grill are cool and fun to use.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
You did, indeed, get a good deal if the cooker is in the low use category described.  My worry is always impulse buyers of pellet cookers and I've spent years trying to help people understand how to use them properly.  If you haven't already read these, they'll give you a base to understand what you've bought:

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2647.0

I hope you get lots of use and enjoyment from your new cooker!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline mreservices

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
HUB, thanks for the links.  I just read them and they are full of good information.  I really appreciate that.  This will be my first pellet cooker, but not my first smoker.  I have been reading a lot for the past 4+ months and am expecting a learning curve, but that's half the fun.  I'm fine with eating the mistakes...lol.  Thank you again!!
Pit Barrel Cooker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
This is one of my favorite pellet grill recipes. Both GMG and Traeger have very good recipes on their sites with temps and cooking times to get you going.

This recipe never disappoints and really surprises people when you tell em this tasty chicken came off of a pellet grill

https://greenmountaingrills.com/recipes/pellet-fried-chicken/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline mreservices

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:32 AM »
Well, I have good news and bad news.

Bad News:
Apparently I should have done some more research on the grill as it was NOT a brand new grill.  It is a 2015 model WiFi (WOW, go figure, someone lied on Craigslist!!).  I did a complete cleaning on the grill this past Saturday (while smoking a  Pork Shoulder in my Pit Barrel Cooker!).  During the cleaning, I found the label on the back that says it is a 2015. After cleaning, I did a 1hr burn in at 350 degrees as new.  I set the heat shield based on the pictures on the website but the temps were all over the place.  I called GMG and Dan called me back within 30 min.  He confirmed that it was a 2015 model and helped me with the heat shield placement.  He also told me that they are basically the same as the 2017 models.  The fire pot was moved to center on the new models mainly because of manufacturing.  I finished my burn in and cooked 2lbs of thick cut bacon on it for seasoning.  180 for 1 hr and then bumped to 225 for a while and finally finishing on a pan on my gas grill.

Good News:
I still feel good about my purchase, albeit a bit annoyed about being lied to and not knowing the difference.  The grill is in great condition and works perfectly.  Customer services is amazing.  Who calls back on a  Saturday within 30 min other than maybe RecTec?  That's service!!  I feel better after taking to Dan about the grill and that it is not outdated in anyway.  I feel good that I feel good that I will get it dialed in and running the way I want it in a few cooks. 

I do have some Nomex coming for the lid as I like to seal up my grills.  Also ordered a downdraft hood but that has a 2 week leadtime.  I hope to have the heat shield placement figured out by then.  I will post some pics once I get it where I want it.

Pit Barrel Cooker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
GMG is the only Mfg that has heat shields that sit on side of the firepot/heat diffuser.  Kinda makes ya wonder.............................

GMG has great customer service and that down draft hood is going to be a great help. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven