Author Topic: Steak and Fire  (Read 1850 times)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
Steak and Fire
« Reply #-1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
Cooked a couple of Ribeyes with some asparagus tonight.  Things were going well until I noticed more smoke then normal.  Everything was saved and tasted fine.  I think I might have had the steak to far to the left.  So the fat dripped down on the fire box and went up.  I vacuum it out before I cook, and also change the foil.  Anyone else have this happen, its a Traeger Jr. Elite model.  I am starting to get the feel for this one.  Made some good salmon on it the other night.  I thinking about trying a brisket or pork butt this weekend.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Steak and Fire
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
To me - it is worth placing a pan under the cuts of meat that will have a lot of fats dripping out. For 2 reasons.
1.To prevent a fire
2.To make keeping you pit in good condition a much easier thing to do.

You can place a wire cooling rack into the pan ( can be a cookie sheet if you think that it will contain he fluids. I like slightly taller walled pan.) so that you get smoke all around the meat - and the heat will be more evenly distributed  as well.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
I'm with tee on this one. His advice is spot on.

You saved that steak from the fire just the way I like it.

Offline rwalters

Steak and Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:01:50 AM »
To me - it is worth placing a pan under the cuts of meat that will have a lot of fats dripping out. For 2 reasons.
1.To prevent a fire
2.To make keeping you pit in good condition a much easier thing to do.

You can place a wire cooling rack into the pan ( can be a cookie sheet if you think that it will contain he fluids. I like slightly taller walled pan.) so that you get smoke all around the meat - and the heat will be more evenly distributed  as well.
Would you set up like this when grilling a steak? Just curious.   For bigger cuts that are roasting or cooking low n slow...heck yeah! But for grilling a rib eye? 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

Steak and Fire
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
2 things come to mind:

1) The foil that you have covering the drip plate looks all crinkled up. Looks to me like you could easily have enough crinkles in it to actually create little dams, holding the dripping fat back and causing it to puddle instead of flow toward the grease bucket. If that is happening, and you have your pellet grill turned to high... there's a good chance that the standing/puddled grease is going to hit its flash point and ignite. That is what it looks like happened to me.

2) Another option that'll greatly cut down on this kind of thing is to grill using GrillGrates. You can pretty much kiss flare ups goodbye with GG's.

https://www.grillgrate.com/

Just my 2 cents :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
Sorry for the half-baked response...not well focused when I wrote it.

When I grill...but I want "cooked with wood" flavor - I will pre-smoke or "cold smoke" whole muscle cuts using an Amazen Smoker tube in the cooker with it turned off(not ground...) for 1 or 2 hours - then set a pair of Grill Grates upside down... directly above the fire pot. (You may want to remove the heat deflector/drip pan.....depending on how fatty the meat and how log you anticipate the cook will be....). Turn the grill on to it's highest setting - and allow it to get screaming hot first. Then I put a quick spritz of oil on the inverted grates, and the meat.
Then sear to my heart's content...flip it...DONE!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

Steak and Fire
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »

When I grill...but I want "cooked with wood" flavor - I will pre-smoke or "cold smoke" whole muscle cuts using an Amazen Smoker tube in the cooker with it turned off(not ground...) for 1 or 2 hours - then set a pair of Grill Grates upside down... directly above the fire pot. (You may want to remove the heat deflector/drip pan.....depending on how fatty the meat and how log you anticipate the cook will be....). Turn the grill on to it's highest setting - and allow it to get screaming hot first. Then I put a quick spritz of oil on the inverted grates, and the meat.
Now we're talkin' :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »

Now we're talkin' :)

Yup.  Grill Grates over the uncovered fire pot work awesome.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32