Author Topic: New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Dakotad11

New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!
« Reply #-1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »
Hi all from the good ole Mid Ohio Valley! I'm new to this forum and new to pellet grills, well, smoking all together. I absolutely love grilling but want to take it up a notch.

I have been researching for about 2 months now, and after reading what feels like every review on every grill and every pellet grill related posts on multiple forums, I believe I have narrowed down my choices, no specific order, to what would suit me best but what like some more insight from the more experienced.

Option #1: Yoder Smokers YS640 - $2300 with options of my preference. Love the way it's built, its operation, wonderful fan base and most of all it's looks! My concerns..... pellet consumption???  I have read from multiple reviewers that it eats ~5lbs an hour at temps above 350F.... scary... as I will be using it quite often to grill steaks, chicken, chops, brats, veggies, etc. Offset firebox pros and cons? But I love the fact of the open flame option as well as the baffle.. I think?? Also, the controller doesn't have the reputation of my next two options. How's the warrany? Made in USA

Option #2: Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron - $2040 with options of my preference. Similar look to Yoder which I love. Fast response when contacted Tim via email. Reputable controller. Bigger hopper. Ash clean out. Central firebox pros and cons? Concerns, internals made from 409 stainless which still rusts. Very very little reviews that I have been able to find. How does it grill?? Pellet consumption?? I would really like some input from someone who has used one. Warranty is the worst of all options it appears. How's customer service? Performance? Longevity? Made in USA

Option #3: Rec Tec RT680 - $1450 with options of my preference. Reputable controller. All 304 stainless internals which I feel is a huge plus. Central fire box pros and cons? Huge hopper that doubles as a giant shelf/warmer. HUGE fan base, Rec Tec community seems extremely loyal to the company and to Ray. Wonderful customer service. Really seems like the best bang for my buck but to be honest I absolutely hate the look, ie. bullhorns, I can live with the red and even fab up a different handle no problem, but that adds to the cost. Chine made. Hmm? But great warranty.

All seem like great options but I'm the type of person that does not like buying things multiple times or wish I had went a different route. I'm ok with spending more upfront for something that will last longer, but don't want something hat will eat up my meat money because its a pellet hog. As I said I will be doing alo of high temp grilling as well as low temp smokes and really want to have one versatile machine that does all.

Any and all input is appreciated and I thank you in advance!!!!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Hello and welcome from Lima Ohio..lottsa bbq'ers in Ohio..I would go with the rec-tec..I have cooked on them and they are fabulous..I want one of the mini ones, don't need all that landscape any more..again..welcome ..go Bucks.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »
1. Used to own a Yoder.....Notice I said used to...

2. Blazin is good stuff.

3. Rec Tec is good. Probably the best Chinese made grill.

But to really round out qulaity chioces you should consider MAK. Sure....they might cost a little more. But you will have so many options for the future. The support is great the product is made in Dallas OR. And MAK will not even buy screws made in China.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin! Tough choice to make! Tee has a great point about MAK you stated you only wanted to do this once if that's the case then MAK is hard to over look  ;)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
I own the Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron. It is a tank and the only problem I really had with it was I fried the controller. (Hurricane Irma, spiders and bees took care of it, plus me not covering it.) Mine was one of the first ones that came out and I purchased the retrofit kit with the upgraded controller. This now standard (actually better than the original ones). I did add a downdraft hood to mine for more consistent smoke across the grate area and had an extension on my chimney. Instead of buying another controller I opted for the Savannah Stoker controller. Best decision I ever made. IF something major happens to this grill I will replace it with a MAK. Nothing against Blaz'n except for me I believe the MAK is a better choice. Blaz'n customer service is excellent and Tim Mickey will work with you any way he can. Here is the review I did on the Grid Iron in December 2013: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7160.0 Hope that helps.

I have also cooked on the RecTec 680 and it is an excellent cooker too. Good luck on your decision.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Dakotad11

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for the informative responses!!!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
Yoder makes one heck of offset but they missed the mark on their pellet grills. The controller has over 50 revisions and counting. The worst pellet consumption you have ever seen. If you cook on it a bunch you will have to get a part time job to purchase pellets.

In fact I was doing pellet consumption testing on a Rec Tec and a Yoder at the same time. I loved the Rec Tec so much more.

No experience with the Blazin line-up. They sure look nice though.

However, the big dog in the pellet world is MAK. With your budget you might as well own the best and cry once. In my opinion they will always be at the top of the heap because they are constantly listening to their customers and improving when found necessary. They are also constantly improving a product that is so much better than anything out there on the market.

Welcome from Central Texas
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:32:32 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
Welcome from Alabama
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
Welcome from northern Cali.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
Welcome from North Carolina.  I have a MAK.  I decided that I only wanted to buy a pellet grill once, and bought the 2-Star.  Today, I might go for the 1-Star.  They are a great cooking machine.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Hello from Northern Illinois.  I was in the same situation as you.  I bit the bullet and bought a MAK 2-Star.  Although it was expensive, I have not regretted my decision.  Excellent American made product backed by an excellent American company.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
I purchased a Blaz'n Grand Slam (did not have room on the deck for the Grid Iron).  I purchased in May of 2014 and have not looked back.  I have not had a single issue with the grill at all.  While I can't compare its pellet consumption to other grills (I have only seen Traeger's in action - the old original Made in USA models) it seems to be reasonable.  It chews through more pellets at higher temps which would be expected. 

Things I love:
1) Slide-out burn pot for easy cleaning - no need to disassemble to clean out the burn pot. 
2) Heavy Duty construction the thing is a tank 
3) Made in the USA 
4) Standard upper shelf - use it more than I thought I would 
5) Controller is easy and spot on with temp control 
6)  I like the built in probe that will shut down the grill to 160 degrees when the meat hits programmed temp - have appreciated this a couple time on long cooks when I got distracted.
7)  HUGE hopper - 30 pounds of pellets for those loooooonnnnngggg cooks like brisket and pulled pork

The only reason I chose the Blaz'n over the Mak was price.  I was already spending more than I planned as I started out looking at Traegers and GMG so the Blaz'n was already a stretch.

Good luck - I am sure you will love whichever you decide to go with.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Dakotad11

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys!!

Offline Dakotad11

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
Well all my decision was made for me over the weekend. I was lucky enough to win a RT680 on custom built cart with custom grill grates and a cold smoker box on a FB page!!! Couldn't be more excited. Cart and grates are being built this week and should be able to pick it up sometime next week! Thanks all for your input!!!