Author Topic: New Rec Tec grill now on sale  (Read 4233 times)

Offline tomcrete1

Re: New Rec Tec grill now on sale
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »
Alright, I have looked and watched, it looks cheap in that I mean cheaply made, the assembly video shows that. It has a deflector and a drip tray but how did I miss where it goes, theirs no bucket. I think this is being marketed as a kettle that burns pellets. It looks familiar to most novice type Grillers which will get their attention and maybe some sales, maybe more than we think... Heard rumors that Rec Tec is discontinued the Mini and replaced it with this. I guess time will tell.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
I got kinda excited when I saw this, but then I realized it is only 22 inch diameter. 
I have 2 Weber kettles that I can run for 6 hours...
Now, with the amaz-n-smoker working in the Masterbuilt, I have my low and slow covered.
I don't think I'll want to use pellets for things 350* and hotter.
If I get a pelletizer, it will have to cook 4 - 6 racks at a time - baby backs or spares - minimum.  Will the Mini RecTec do that?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 05:38:53 AM »
I got kinda excited when I saw this, but then I realized it is only 22 inch diameter. 
I have 2 Weber kettles that I can run for 6 hours...
Now, with the amaz-n-smoker working in the Masterbuilt, I have my low and slow covered.
I don't think I'll want to use pellets for things 350* and hotter.
If I get a pelletizer, it will have to cook 4 - 6 racks at a time - baby backs or spares - minimum.  Will the Mini RecTec do that?

Jaxon the mini with the upper shelf can do 5 racks of ribs easily I have squeezed 6 on and it does work. They're probably is a video of it...

Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
Not to ran on anyone's parade...but - I just don't see the point.  I think there are a number of choices in this price range that offer about the same mobility, and a larger - or more useable cooking area. I prefer a rectangle to a round shape - tho I love my old Weber Performer....I can't see the need. I predict this product will not do for Rec-Tec what the previous models have done, in terms of sales. Really crowded marketplace at this price point.....
I see your point Tee, but I'm looking at this as a fuel I already have and it's easy to move around and with my knees and back that's a BIG plus!  I love my RT680 just hate to pull it out if doing a small cook.   This would let me do small cooks without the hassle of the RT680 or even moving my SRG's out of the cooking shed.  I see a mods for this unit (like that's a surprise)  ;) That if I buy one they will be done  ;)

Besides, it's close to my pellet SRG that I built and that thing can grill and smoke.   But the exception here is the mobility and that alone makes it worth the $$$  to me anyway.

Time will tell weather or not it's a good idea for them but for the $$$ if I bought a Weber and added a pellet burner like Clff's unit (which I like by the way)  the money would still be up there in that range.  The other reason I would get one, Kimmie could use it with out fear of BLOWING herself up like she tried to do with a gas grill  ??? :D

Just my 2 cents

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
It just goes to show that when there is a need there is a grill for everyone...I am still trying to find the swimming pool grill that sits/floats in the pool with me ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »
Now I am wondering how this unit will work for lo and slo. I know it can cook at those temperatures but it seems more set up for grilling. I wonder how the grease management is for Butts and Briskets.

My first impression was that this was a Grill more than a smoker............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
Now I am wondering how this unit will work for lo and slo. I know it can cook at those temperatures but it seems more set up for grilling. I wonder how the grease management is for Butts and Briskets.

My first impression was that this was a Grill more than a smoker............

If it's anywhere close to my Stoven/Weber combo, it should handle Low & Slow just fine.  I actually use our Weber/Stoven more for Low & Slow than I do grilling. The heat is very even, BUT...  then again I'm talking about the Weber kettle design that's tried and true.   Will this kettle perform as well?  Time will tell.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
Not knocking it Tommy...was just thinking out loud that it will not have as wide a market appeal as their prior products. We all have different needs tho....so I understand what you are saying about it for convenience.

Keep Kimmie away from the propane! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401