Author Topic: Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Another MAK owner whose has cooked in the rain. When it pours hard which is rare in California I do use something to shield the water off. tied a umbrella to a chair once and had it protect the electronics which you should be able to do on most grills

so jim the song is true?

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Hub

Re: Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
Will pellets draw moisture if stored outdoors (in bags, in a storage tub, on a covered deck)??

Not much.  The only precaution I ever take is when I have a bag that is torn, open, or has a hole it it I make sure it is in the pool storage box or an old garden can with a lid that I have.  As long as the bag is well sealed the pellets will stay fine.  I have one or two bags of a pellet "flavor" I don't use much that are probably six or seven years old and have been kept stacked on a concrete floor in an area where direct rain or snow won't hit them.  They're fine.  Just being exposed to ambient air of normal humidity won't hurt pellets.

Pellets remaining in the hoppers of my cookers stay there until the next use.  I don't scoop them out and bag them back up.  Sometimes it may be a month or more between uses depending on what I'm cooking.  No problems there, either.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN