Author Topic: Lets Talk BBQ Forum Experiment  (Read 5369 times)

gfgraphics

Lets Talk BBQ Forum Experiment
« Reply #-1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
We would like to try an experiment with the Lets Talk BBQ Forum.

Up to this point, anytime that anyone would like to join the Forum, they would fill out the request and it would be sent to the Administrator for manual approval. He would then send a message to the applicant asking for personal information which would then be returned for approval. This is all done to prevent Spammers and Scammers from intruding on this forum.

The downside to this is that anytime that TeeSquare has been unavailable -sick, traveling, etc. - the application languishes in limbo until he is available, sometimes for several days. It can also have a delay if the approval email goes into the applicant's Junk Mail folder, etc. Bottom line, it gets delayed.

The experiment we would like to attempt is to have the Forum software itself handle new applicants. Most of you are familiar with the process, You apply for permission to get into a private area and the system sends you an email for you to click on a link verifying that it is a valid email account. When this is done, they have access to the site.

This is like any other system in that it is not 100% guaranteed, not even the manual system. That said, it is less labor intensive and much quicker to respond.

What we would like from you is your opinion on whether you think we should do this and make it easier for others to join. When/If we go ahead with this, we would also depend on you to let us know if you are getting spammed or scammed and reporting
those posts and message if it does occur.

What do you think?

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Lets Talk BBQ Forum Experiment
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »
I think this will still keep out the spam bots, but may not be enough of a deterrent to manual spammers (there are still plenty of those).  My suggestion would be to simply set up a hierarchy for the approval (if Tee is out, Smoke does it, etc) and use a moderator distribution list instead of it only going to Tee.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
I think we could try it and see how it works.  if not..go back to the other way, it won't take long to tell if it works.  Or try slidinbilly's way. It's all about options.  Pam    ☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
I think this will still keep out the spam bots, but may not be enough of a deterrent to manual spammers (there are still plenty of those).  My suggestion would be to simply set up a hierarchy for the approval (if Tee is out, Smoke does it, etc) and use a moderator distribution list instead of it only going to Tee.

My 2 cents worth, I couldn't agree any more with what Chris offered. This is the BEST forum of any type on the web for several reasons, one being the way people are screened coming in the "front door". Like the old timers say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Things here are sooo good I'm a bit leery of changing the protocol for entry.  :-\

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke (oops - hikerman beat me to that one). If you can make it less cumbersome for tee and his posse, fine, but if you take out the human link, some subhuman will find a way around it.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »

My 2 cents worth, I couldn't agree any more with what Chris offered. This is the BEST forum of any type on the web for several reasons, one being the way people are screened coming in the "front door". Like the old timers say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Things here are sooo good I'm a bit leery of changing the protocol for entry.  :-\
x2 .   I know it's rough and I have been dealing with these issues trying to get folks here.  It's worth not going thru the B.S. of other sites with spam   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
I think we have at least 3 "super-moderators" here, don't we?

Maybe you could set up the aforementioned hierarchy and spread it out amongst them - one of them is always on duty.  You could even offer to double their salary for all the trouble.

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
P.S. I will be happy to assist if needed.  I have owned a Yahoo Group for many years (I set it up in Jan of 2006) and have over 3300 members.  Between myself and a couple of mods, me make approvals and denials happen with no problem.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:38 PM »
P.S. I will be happy to assist if needed.  I have owned a Yahoo Group for many years (I set it up in Jan of 2006) and have over 3300 members.  Between myself and a couple of mods, me make approvals and denials happen with no problem.
Sounds like a good idea
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »

x2 .   I know it's rough and I have been dealing with these issues trying to get folks here.  It's worth not going thru the B.S. of other sites with spam
I have to agree
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Had two join this week and yes they had to try at it but it's worth it in the end.

As long as I have to be a go between Tim and others to get them here I say it's worth it 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
Ok I was just spammed, I wrote a very detailed 6 page report of comments and now it's gone >:(

Here is the short version, only a Nickels worth as we don't have pennies anymore ::)

We could take applications for folks that would be willing to be deputized to help out. The training would be hard, like the Canadian Joint Task Force 2 forces, like Seals but winterized ;D

I'm just not sure we want to open the spammer door and have to close it late.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »

I have to agree

I agree also! If someone isn't patient enough to wait until it is approved, then just maybe.. and as Jaxon says "Just Sayin"... ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:50 PM »
Yup, it might take a bit longer to join, but this forum is well worth the wait  8)

If Tee is gonna be away for a spell, Cliff and I can be back-ups, and of course we have many great members here that would step up as well....keep the human touch for this one.......
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:11:22 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
There have been some people who I have directed to join here that never received a follow up to join. I was able to get them through with a email to Tee but it took me sending an email. These are good people that I had already vetted that were flagged for one reason or another.

Now I do not know how much control there is over the forum software but IMHO I think a little tweaking might be needed.

One idea that I have is you can start new members with the ability to post but not start new topics until they get some time/posts under their belt. Maybe limit their amount of posts per day until they reach a certain time period and amount of posts per day.

This way if they are spammers they can be identified pretty quickly and removed. They also will not be able to start any topics if they are bots and this will pose more trouble than a spammer may want to deal with.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven