Author Topic: Lets Talk BBQ Forum Experiment  (Read 5374 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Lets Talk BBQ Forum Experiment
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 07:02:27 AM »
What if when we reach a certain participation level we have the ability to send out invites to people.  People that we know would benefit from this forum and add to it at the same time.  When the invite is received by the moderator then they don't need to verify the person because it is a personal invite from a trusted member.  That might cut down on the time needed to join and the work load of the moderators.

I really like this idea. We are what make this forum different and exceptional. There have been potential members I have PM'd Tee about to get them through. These are people that I knew from other forums that had great attitudes and were all around good folks.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:35 AM »
There are a couple of tools I like to run to help me with keeping my computers secure, running, and starting. The tools are what I use. There are others that do more or less, just be careful with anything you use that will make modifications to your registry. If you make any changes to the registry always, always make a backup of the registry. Before making any major changes to your PC have a good system backup.

1.   Symantec Endpoint Protection – because I’ve been using this one for years and get it free from work to use on all of my home PC’s.
2.   CCleaner - is a tool for cleaning your Windows PC and makes your computer faster and more secure.
3.   Spybot Search & Destroy - is a free antispyware utility that targets adware, malicious code, and other threats. It also cleans security tracks, shreds files, and tweaks the Registry.

Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »
I've enjoyed reading the different ideas presented.  It shows a lot of thought and that the members here care about the quality of our forum!

a mass of people on a forum doesn't makes it better.

I agree 100% and think that sums up tee's philosophy very nicely. The quality of the folks here, not the quantity, is what makes the forum work so well.

When it comes to "automated" versus the "Human touch" as someone put it, overall, I like the human touch.  I think that has done more to keep out not only spammers, but riff-raff as well. But I also know from experience it's a lot for a single person to handle, especially as the forum grows.

I will back whichever plan Tee decides and do whatever I can to help!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »
And - I agree with you guys, that it is not - nor has it ever ben out objective to be the biggest forum. Jus the BEST forum. And - Any changes in procedures should have that as the first priority. To preserve the "personality" of LTBBQ.

Just as we all know that better quality ingredients yield a better recipe - we need to continue to seek out the kind of folks that are friendly, and community minded. It is not important that the person be experienced or well accomplished in outdoor cooking. Is IS important that they are willing to share, learn, and have a sense of humor.  After - we do this for fun….not aggravation.

Just last nite - I banned a person that was applying. They had a commercial interest, and when I went over our policies with them - he copped an attitude!  I laughed and thought - "How dumb is that, you want entry - and you are already showing your butt?" NOPE. NOT HERE…. :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
I feel sorry for whoever gets thru and tries to spam in here.     ☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི   
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
How about letting the new member apply directly and be an instant member but they cannot post until the same questions/vetting that Tee does through email is done through PM's instead?

The PM's could also be limited to just moderators until they are approved.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
How about letting the new member apply directly and be an instant member but they cannot post until the same questions/vetting that Tee does through email is done through PM's instead?

The PM's could also be limited to just moderators until they are approved.

That is essentially what we do, just in a slightly different order.  When you apply - you get a welcoming message explaining that you have joined - but in order activate your privileges, you MUST respond to the e-mail. Then, we simply ask how you heard about the forum, and what kind of equipment you cook on. This has evolved over the last 2 years into a significant process, that is secure and typically we can gather enough info that we know the applicant is either a good guy - or we get no response.
The REAL beast that we have to all tackle - is to explain to applicants that our process is different. We are not trying to make anyone feel intimidated - but we are trying to  protect the current members - just like we will protect them once they are a member. AND….some folks just do not read thru the message. They see that they have joined, and assume that there is nothing else to do. I have modified the message to alert them that they MUST respond in order to activate.
When we don't get a response, we wait a few days - then send a "2nd attempt to reach you" titled e-mail. And then we wait another week or so - then, if they do not respond, we send another e-mail which is a nicely worded rejection letter. They can re-apply  if they wish. So - as you can see, we make a sincere effort to encourage people to join - as long as they understand that we have the best interest of our current members as our first responsibility. I would challenge anyone to examine the processes that we have in place, and compare those to any other internet forum. Then ask yourself which site does more to try and be friendly and cautious in a a difficult to maintain balance... ;D And - it is, trust me! But, I do not believe that our system is perfect, and - I am very appreciative of this discussion.  Again - it is YOUR forum. It is just my job to keep it safe, sweep up and take out the trash ;) ;D
But - the fastest and most sure way to get folks approved is to contact me or one of the Admins and give us a heads up if you know someone that is applying. If you can tell us their e-mail or user name - that will be an instant approval. But - be sure that you know them well enough to be comfortable doing that. Either thru being on another forum with them, and watching how the respond to others or just someone that you have a friendship with.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:46:00 AM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
Do you direct email them Tee? Or message through PM's that also forward a email message?

Maybe they do not see the email but might see the PM message when they log in.

Or how about a message that pops up when they are not full members that states they are not and what they need to do each time when they log on. Something they click on to close. A large message. And the message can be displayed when they try to post or start a new topic.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »
Do you direct email them Tee? Or message through PM's that also forward a email message?

Or how about a message that pops up when they are not full members that states they are not and what they need to do each time when they log on. Something they click on to close. A large message. And the message can be displayed when they try to post or start a new topic.

That is a great idea (the pop up one ) if they miss this massage they mast be @$%^#  .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
On a side note concerning email address access ... 

A member can always edit their Profile -> Account Settings and un-check the "allow users to email me".  If someone wants to contact me they can PM me within the Forum and I can choose to let them know another email address to contact me with.

I personally never use my primary/private email address - This email address is either one provided by my ISP or one from a domain that I own.  Instead I create and use one of the many well known FREE email addresses like gmail, yahoo, outlook, or gmx just to name a few for Forum emails.  To minimize risk you can access your email using their webmail access  ...  Just my 2-cents worth.

As far as new member accounts goes I'll defer to the knowledgeable people who have commented to date.  Since I'm a member and work to keep my nose clean I don't see any problems from my end.  But having been a sysadmin over the years I sympathize with those whose responsibility it is to keep this Forum secure ... Keep up the great work!!  :)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »

I have tried both. I currently use forum software e-mailing them - but it comes from the LTBBQ2@yahoo.com address. So it is funneled thru LTBBQ software - but it can be returned to a common e-mail address.

I can have George look at the possibility of a pop up message, tho it's physical size will be a pre-determined size by the software. It would need to tell them to contact an Admin. in order to un-lock their membership ...
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
What ever T decides is fine by me.  I don't know anything about how a forum operates or the internal working of it. 

I do know that when the site first went on line I tried to join using Sailor and the system said my email was a noted spamming email.  I tried to use my gmail account and got the same message.  I gave up trying to join.  Then tried again about 6 or so months later and got the same messages. 

10.5 dropped T an email and we figured out that I had to use Sailor1 instead of Sailor and the system let me in.  I know several people that were on other forums that have tried to sign up and they had the same problem.  They just gave up trying to join.  Many of us would know them if they ever made it to the site. 

This is a great site and we have top notch people here.  I just about have stopped going to other sites and now call this one home.  I will try to keep my room clean  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
Sailor  - we really want to make it as easy for folks to join as possible. So, if you know anyone that has tried to join and they get a "spammer" msg" - please get in touch with me. We have ways to help them.
But - the real danger is for them. If their mail has been hacked, and they don't address that…they just make themselves an easy target for a lot of problems. The other aspect is that - if they don't fix their own security problems with their e-mail ( by changing their password and name ) and we let them in - the opportunity for the hacker to follow them in here  to LTBBQ by stealing their info from their e-mail inbox is real. And - we can't tell that this has happened until it is too late.

SO - we ALL really have a responsibility to each other, and everyone in our contacts list to maintain our computers in a spyware/and hi--jacker free manner. It is cheap, and it is the right thing to do. It will prevent so many problems.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »
If I remember correctly, I had to message Muebe so that he could contact T. I don't remember the particulars of it. Didn't take too long.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pappymn

Lets Talk BBQ Forum Experiment
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
I had to send Tee a check and a first round draft pick ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer