Author Topic: First brisket (ever). PBC, no wrap.  (Read 9949 times)

Offline Hub

Re: First brisket (ever). PBC, no wrap.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
The first brisket I ever cooked could have been used for resoling shoes  ::)

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful hobby of burning stuff in the back yard!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
Great looking brisket Jim - from the looks of your first ever - it most certainly won't be your last!!!  Nicely done
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful hobby of burning stuff in the back yard!

Hub

There's no words in the English language that describes how bad my first brisket was.   And the cooking method I used I would never admit in public, it was that bad.  Thank God I've come a long way since those early days of learning how to cook decades ago.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Jim_R

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »
So you let it hang the whole cook?
That's one fine brisket for a first timer!!!

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words! 

Yes, I set the hook and didn't lift it off the bar again for 6.5 hours, when the probe registered 197. 

I have decided it's a little drier than I'd prefer (but it's a far cry from shoe leather, thankfully!).  I think in large part that has to do with how much I trimmed it--the bites I take that have some fat on them are plenty moist enough.  I think the next cook I do, I'm going to let it hang the whole time again, but I'm going to leave more fat on it and see how that does.  I'll eventually try the wrap method, too.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »

Hub

There's no words in the English language that describes how bad my first brisket was.   And the cooking method I used I would never admit in public, it was that bad.  Thank God I've come a long way since those early days of learning how to cook decades ago.

When you sliced into my son-in-law's first one, you would've thought that he'd invented a new way to make jerky.  His second one wasn't much better, so he turned the brisket cooking over to me.  That was a little over six months ago.

Fortunately, I had a good coach (you know who you are!) and mine have been moist, well flavored, and consistently in the mid to low 20's.  And now I'm even cooking them just for family get-togethers.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Jim_R, there are many different ways to do a brisket and experimentation will allow you to get it to your liking. For me, I experimented with not trimming any fat before cooking and it turned out that fat is real easy to trim after cooking. As someone all ready said, be sure to put a pan under it to collect the drippings and not kill the fire. Another thing I discovered is that you can take the internal temp up real high like 210 -215. I keep testing the meat by poking it with a long toothpick. When it slides in like soft butter, it is very tender and ready for some good eating.

Your brisket looks great and that PBC will give you many good cooks. Keep experimenting.

Offline Jim_R

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 11:31:19 PM »
Fortunately, I had a good coach (you know who you are!) and mine have been moist, well flavored, and consistently in the mid to low 20's.  And now I'm even cooking them just for family get-togethers.

Sorry for the n00b question, but what do you mean by "consistently in the mid to low 20's"?  I can think of many possible units of measurement (years? pounds?  degrees?  scoville units?), but none of them make any sense in this context.  I'm bumfuzzled.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »

Sorry for the n00b question, but what do you mean by "consistently in the mid to low 20's"?  I can think of many possible units of measurement (years? pounds?  degrees?  scoville units?), but none of them make any sense in this context.  I'm bumfuzzled.

No apology needed ! ! !

I can see where that really didn't make much sense.

I'm referring to my position in recent KCBS cooking contests.  For instance, in my last contest, I came in 22nd out of 64 competitors.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

No apology needed ! ! !

I can see where that really didn't make much sense.

I'm referring to my position in recent KCBS cooking contests.  For instance, in my last contest, I came in 22nd out of 64 competitors.

BD

Way back in my younger days I consistently did low to mid 20's too, now they run away from me.  :P :P :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)