Author Topic: Artisan Bread in 5 Peasant Loaf  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Artisan Bread in 5 Peasant Loaf
« Reply #-1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:38:40 PM »
Mar 23 2015

About two years ago I discovered no knead bread by Jim Leahy that you baked covered in a Dutch oven. It turned out nice crusty loaves but you had to mix it the day before and let set overnight. Besides that a 5 quart Dutch oven is heavy to mess with. I baked about a half dozen loaves this way then discovered Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.

I like it a lot better, one batch mixed up will make 4 loaves and it lasts two weeks in the fridge. It only needs a two hour rise and then it says you can bake a loaf then but the dough is easier to handle after overnight in the fridge. When I am ready to bake a loaf I can do it in less than two hours.  Just form your ball and let rise for 20 to 40 minutes then bake at 450 deg. for about 35 minutes. I bake mine on a Lodge cast iron griddle I preheat in the oven. I lay some parchment paper on my metal bread peel and lay the ball on it to rise. Then I just slide it and the parchment onto the griddle and remove the parchment paper after 20 minutes.

Winter is my time to bake bread but with my back operation I never got any baked. The last loaf I baked last winter was a peasant loaf; it has a ½ cup each of whole wheat and rye flour added to white flour. I had the flour left I kept in the fridge so I wanted to do a batch before it got warm and I got busy with outdoor cooking.

I mixed the dough up Sunday afternoon and wanted to bake a loaf today to go with our supper tonight. I didn’t have the dough mixed good enough; had some dry spots in it and had trouble getting a nice ball cloaked right. It was not the prettiest loaf I have done but turned out good, nice texture and a crisp crust.

It tasted good with our supper and with the over 2 inches of snow we got this afternoon it looks like I won’t be getting outside to cook for another week with cooler weather predicted.

My flour and yeast

Dough mixed up

After a two hour rise

A forty minute rise, cut and ready to bake

Cooling

Sliced for supper

The recipe for the standard loaf is on the back of a Gold Medal All Purpose flour bag.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Artisan Bread in 5 Peasant Loaf
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »
Real nice Don! I'd love a slice buttered up your way!  :D

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
I have the 5 minute book but am still doing the overnight loaves for now. yours look great.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:19:01 AM »
I have the 5 minute book but am still doing the overnight loaves for now. yours look great.
I really think the overnight and in a Dutch oven does a little better but I love that now for two weeks I can have a loaf baked in a couple hours notice or whim. That suites me since I may just decide in the am what I am having for supper that night. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:11:25 AM »
Nice looking loaf Don!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
Really good looking loaf, Don. Nice job!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »
WTG Don..I have had that book for a few years now and it's excellent...just let'r rise and bake...beautiful Boule you have there.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ིྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
Looking great
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:46:49 AM »
I really think the overnight and in a Dutch oven does a little better but I love that now for two weeks I can have a loaf baked in a couple hours notice or whim. That suites me since I may just decide in the am what I am having for supper that night. Don

I hear you, I'll just be happy when things slow down enough to start baking any bread.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Don..get a squirt bottle and some water for the dry parts...works great. Bread looks perfect tho..love rustic breads and pies and cakes, desserts and foods.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Northshore

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 02:09:22 PM »
Just dug out my 5 minute book and started fist batch of dough.  Hope to make a loaf tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi