Author Topic: Makin' Bacon - First Attempt - Here we go!  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Makin' Bacon - First Attempt - Here we go!
« Reply #-1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
I was in the Business Costco last weekend and saw skinned pork belly for $1.99 a pound.  It seemed like a reasonable price to experiment with so here we go. 

I started the process last night. 5 days to cure in the fridge, will pull and rinse on Saturday PM back in fridge on drying rack to form pellicle then Sunday to the smoker at 170 degrees until IT hits 150 degrees.  Then vac seal overnight after it cools.

I sure hope this works!!!!!  ??? ??? ???

I cut the full belly into two 5 lb chunks to make it easier to handle and cure

The cure consists of a recipe I found online    2/3 Cup Kosher Salt    2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar   4 Tsp Pink Curing Salt #1   
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Makin' Bacon - First Attempt - Here we go!
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
Will be watching and looking.  Need to make a Costco run  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

Makin' Bacon - First Attempt - Here we go!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »
I found the same thing last week except mine was already sliced and at $2.99 per pound. I like what you bought better.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:34:14 PM »
I'll be watching.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »
Looking good Smoker!  Ah when you get a chance...a BLT please! :D

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:21 PM »
I read you ingredient amounts and sirens immediately started going off.

Your salt & sugar might be OK, but that is twice the amount of Cure #1 than you should be using for 10 lbs of pork belly.

I would rinse it off and start over.

For reference, if you're using using a dry-rub cure here is a really good resource to calculate salt, sugar and Cure #1.

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/

Note: 6 grams of cure #1 = 1 level tsp.

Also 5 days may not be long enough. Before doing the soak, I'd recommend slicing a piece off (towards the middle) and fry it up to test it.  That way you are not guessing.

Don't mean to sound negative, but we want folks to be safe with this stuff! :)

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
SJ - Bacon is my favorite thing to make. And you found a killer deal! I pay more than that for bellies w/skin, and I live in the No#2 pork production state in the U.S.

Here is a thread that has a lot of supportive information for curing ham - but much of the same info applies to any meat you are curing.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7137.0

Safety first- we want you to be happy...AND healthy! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
I read you ingredient amounts and sirens immediately started going off.

Your salt & sugar might be OK, but that is twice the amount of Cure #1 than you should be using for 10 lbs of pork belly.

I would rinse it off and start over.

For reference, if you're using using a dry-rub cure here is a really good resource to calculate salt, sugar and Cure #1.

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/

Note: 6 grams of cure #1 = 1 level tsp.

Also 5 days may not be long enough. Before doing the soak, I'd recommend slicing a piece off (towards the middle) and fry it up to test it.  That way you are not guessing.

Don't mean to sound negative, but we want folks to be safe with this stuff! :)

TH - No worries - not taken as negative at all.  This is why I use this site - more information is better although it can get a bit confusing.

This is my first try at it and of course I want it to turn out and more importantly BE SAFE.  The recipe I used was from Steven Reichlin's How To Grill book.  His cure was for 5 pounds of bacon and is a dry cure rub so I doubled for 10 punds of belly.  His recommendation is to cure in the fridge for 5 days turning once a day.  Rinse well then pat dry and let sit in fridge on a rack over a drip pan for 4 hrs to overnight to form the pellicle so it will pick up the smoke.  Smoke to an IT of 150 degrees and let cool.

When you say to slice a piece out of the middle and fry it up - how is that going to tell me if it is correct?  I am not sure I will know what I am tasting for since there won't be any smoke on it.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
SJ - Bacon is my favorite thing to make. And you found a killer deal! I pay more than that for bellies w/skin, and I live in the No#2 pork production state in the U.S.

Here is a thread that has a lot of supportive information for curing ham - but much of the same info applies to any meat you are curing.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7137.0

Safety first- we want you to be happy...AND healthy! ;D

Hi TeeSquare - thanks for the info.  I am still new to all this (first try at curing bacon) I guess I am a bit confused about the wet brine -vs- the recipe I found in Steven Raichlin's BBQ Bible for a dry rub cure.  I have used a lot of his recipes and methods with pretty good success but am concerned that there is question on the safety of his dry bacon cure method.  Above all - SAFETY rules for me when smoking/grilling and I thought he was a trusted source of information. 

So this begs the question - is there a difference in methods and measurements for a dry rub cure -vs- a wet brine cure bath?  That question applies to both measurements of ingredients and length of curing times.  I read the thread you attached and I guess I am a bit concerned that the spoilage factor increases with a longer curing time if I read that correctly.

I am way more concerend about safety than I am ruining a $20 slab of pork belly. 

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
I am going to throw my "for what it's worth" into this.  I have made lots of Bacon and use Chris's (10.5) recipe for Maple Cured Bacon.  I am posting his recipe as he has posted it on other forums so hopefully he will not mind me posting it here.  His recipe is as follows:
    2 oz. Kosher salt (about 1/4 cup)
    2 tsp. Cure #1 (aka pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1)
    1/4 C. Maple sugar or packed brown sugar
    1/4 C. Maple syrup

5 lb. fresh pork belly
    (Makes enough for a 5 lb. belly)
His recipe and procedure is posted here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

If you note, this is for 5 pounds and used 2 teaspoons of cure #1.  Now I agree that one should use 1 teaspoon of cure #1 per 5 pounds of meat IF you are grinding and stuffing sausage.  However my thought process is that if you are using a rub to cure the meat you are not going to get all of the nitrate into the meat because of all of the liquid it is pulling out.  We are not injecting the meat like one would if making a ham.  We are rubbing the meat down and letting it cure from the outside in.

This recipe produces a lot of moisture and your meat will be sitting in quite a bit of liquid.  This liquid is going to contain a fair amount of cure #1 so it is not all going into the meat.  I will be the first to confess that I am not an expert in Bacon Makin but I have made a fair amount of it and I will not be afraid to make more of this recipe using 2 tsp of cure per 5 pounds.

I think this is a great discussion and I may be doing it all wrong.

Not trying to start an argument about the amount of cure.  Just posting my thoughts about the dry rub recipes calling for 2 tsp of cure VS wet brine processes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:21:40 PM by Sailor1 »

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
I am going to throw my "for what it's worth" into this.  I have made lots of Bacon and use Chris's (10.5) recipe for Maple Cured Bacon.  I am posting his recipe as he has posted it on other forums so hopefully he will not mind me posting it here.  His recipe is as follows:
    2 oz. Kosher salt (about 1/4 cup)
    2 tsp. Cure #1 (aka pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1)
    1/4 C. Maple sugar or packed brown sugar
    1/4 C. Maple syrup

5 lb. fresh pork belly
    (Makes enough for a 5 lb. belly)
His recipe and procedure is posted here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

If you note, this is for 5 pounds and used 2 teaspoons of cure #1.  Now I agree that one should use 1 teaspoon of cure #1 per 5 pounds of meat IF you are grinding and stuffing sausage.  However my thought process is that if you are using a rub to cure the meat you are not going to get all of the nitrate into the meat because of all of the liquid it is pulling out.  We are not injecting the meat like one would if making a ham.  We are rubbing the meat down and letting it cure from the outside in.

This recipe produces a lot of moisture and your meat will be sitting in quite a bit of liquid.  This liquid is going to contain a fair amount of cure #1 so it is not all going into the meat.  I will be the first to confess that I am not an expert in Bacon Makin but I have made a fair amount of it and I will not be afraid to make more of this recipe using 2 tsp of cure per 5 pounds.

I think this is a great discussion and I may be doing it all wrong.

Not trying to start an argument about the amount of cure.  Just posting my thoughts about the dry rub recipes calling for 2 tsp of cure VS wet brine processes.

Thanks for joining the conversation - the more info the better.  This is nearly the exact recipe I followed with the 4 tsp of pink curing salt.  The one big discrepency I am finding is that most curing times, regardless of the ingredients are 7 days and the recipe I used from Steven Raichlen is for 5 days of curing time.

Like you I did a dry brine and did not inject it into the slabs.  It is pulling a lot of the moisture out of the meat which I understood to be the goal.

Thanks everyone for the discussion - this is a great learning site and I appreciate ALL of the information.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »
It takes 5 to 7 days to cure depending on thickness and if skin on or off.  Do not drain the liquid off until it is cured and ready to rinse and smoke.  The meat should be firm if you press on it when cured.  If soft it needs more time. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
So this begs the question - is there a difference in methods and measurements for a dry rub cure -vs- a wet brine cure bath?  That question applies to both measurements of ingredients and length of curing times.  I read the thread you attached and I guess I am a bit concerned that the spoilage factor increases with a longer curing time if I read that correctly.

In short...YES. There are several folks here that are well versed in explaining the differences, Sailor being one of them, and Tenthunter. I asked Tent to write a food safety oriented thread ( the one I referred you to ) because meat curing is one of the most "tricky" aspects of our mutual love of food.
There are a lot of variables - and some rules that should be "hard and fast" for all of us. This of course are the ones about safety. There are a variety of "cures" on the market. They may be only one ingredient, or blends and at differing strengths.  ( I think nepas did a thread with pictures of most of the ones out there...?)

Just a couple of things that I can point to that I hope help:
1. Use enough cure - but no more. More is not better, it has it's own health concerns when we use too much cure. Weigh it where possible ( for larger batches ) for accuracy.

2. You can leave a meat product in brine ( wet or dry) longer than recommended - but not less.  The osmotic process ensures that you will reach an equilibrium once the meat has adsorbed the cure, and expressed fluids back out, but it will not become more "salty" if you leave it longer. Again, osmosis - and an accurate amount of cure.
If you try a pice of anything you have cured and find it tastes too salty for you - don't be afraid to rinse it off, and soak it in clean - preferably filtered, dechlorinated water. Distilled or reverse osmosis processed works best - because there are not chemicals or salts to alter the flavor or interfere with the de-salting via immersion in clean water. You will not be "un-curing" the meat, that process once complete is not easily reversed, but the osmotic effect will help you remove too much salt ( not curing salt so much as sodium chloride).

There are studies that suggest ( some say they are conclusive -  (I am not an "absolutist"...but I try to err on the side of prudence) using too much cure can be detrimental to your health. Without scaring you, I recommend that you research the links in the threads at the top of the cCharcuterie section, and even on the USDA sits pertaining to curing meat, and - as always...we are here to help you be successful, not make anyone feel inept. I have no tolerance for anyone feeling like they have been talked down to. You can post any questions you have - and trust this body of members will do their absolute best to help you get the best, and safe results.
Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:10:25 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »

In short...YES. There are several folks here that are well versed in explaining the differences, Sailor being one of them, and Tenthunter. I asked Tent to write a food safety oriented thread ( the one I referred you to ) because meat curing is one of the most "tricky" aspects of our mutual love of food.
There are a lot of variables - and some rules that should be "hard and fast" for all of us. This of course are the ones about safety. There are a variety of "cures" on the market. They may be only one ingredient, or blends and at differing strengths.  ( I think nepas did a thread with pictures of most of the ones out there...?)

Just a couple of things that I can point to that I hope help:
1. Use enough cure - but no more. More is not better, it has it's own health concerns when we use too much cure. Weigh it where possible ( for larger batches ) for accuracy.

2. You can leave a meat product in brine ( wet or dry) longer than recommended - but not less.  The osmotic process ensures that you will reach an equilibrium once the meat has adsorbed the cure, and expressed fluids back out, but it will not become more "salty" if you leave it longer. Again, osmosis - and an accurate amount of cure.
If you try a pice of anything you have cured and find it tastes too salty for you - don't be afraid to rinse it off, and soak it in clean - preferably filtered, dechlorinated water. Distilled or reverse osmosis processed works best - because there are not chemicals or salts to alter the flavor or interfere with the de-salting via immersion in clean water. You will not be "un-curing" the meat, that process once complete is not easily reversed, but the osmotic effect will help you remove too much salt ( not curing salt so much as sodium chloride).

There are studies that suggest ( some say they are conclusive -  (I am not an "absolutist"...but I try to err on the side of prudence) using too much cure can be detrimental to your health. Without scaring you, I recommend that you research the links in the threads at the top of the cCharcuterie section, and even on the USDA sits pertaining to curing meat, and - as always...we are here to help you be successful, not make anyone feel inept. I have no tolerance for anyone feeling like they have been talked down to. You can post any questions you have - and trust this body of members will do their absolute best to help you get the best, and safe results.
Keep up the good work!

WOW - so much GREAT information - Tee thank you for taking the time to dig into that - I am feeling more comfortable now and less confused.  I too like to err on the side of being overly-cautious (especially when it comes to the health and safety of my family).  It sounds like a longer curing time is a better way to go so I will check it at 5 days but likely push it more to the seven day cure as it seems that is recommended on nearly every site I have read.

Thanks again EVERYONE - I love this site and the information and help provided.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:19 PM »
You are always welcome!

I don't get to contribute like I wish - but every now and then I catch a few minutes to actually sit and think....and then my head hurts :D :D :D :D

Seriously - fire away with your questions, and you will get a lot of responses.  And while we can cook any number of ways and have good results - we also want you to be safe when dealing with meat curing. It need not be intimidating, nor particularly difficult - but the waiting time is aggravating, because you just want to get 'er done and eat! ;) But patience pays off.

For me - the wet brining of bacon ( the Cider Mill Recipe in the Charcuterie section ) is my favorite. A balance of sweet/salt and then I like to cold smoke with 100% cherry wood, then finish hot  ( 165-175F until belly IT ruche 150-155F )smoking with the same. The color and flavor this step adds are hard to beat - for my taste buds.
And, I feel that full immersion - is most likely to give you an evenly cured product in a predictable time, due to the entire slab of pork belly being submerged. But, this is only my preference, and experimenting is the fun part.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401