Author Topic: RG's Cinnamon Rolls!!  (Read 1920 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
RG's Cinnamon Rolls!!
« Reply #-1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »
So, in my never ending quest to improve on things I cook I set out to find a different Cinnamon Roll recipe than what I had used in the past. I don't make these very often, actually I've only made cinnamon rolls from scratch maybe 4-5 times in my life.

These are the real deal, no need to continue to look for another recipe. This is the one.

Once I roll them out and cut and placed into the baking dish, I wrap them in plastic wrap and let them hang out in the fridge overnight and then I take them out early to proof in my oven on "Proof" mode for an hour before baking. You can just set them on a counter for an hour or two as well before baking. I STRONGLY recommend proofing in the fridge overnight rather than just baking after the second rise in the pan/dish. It will take some patience but you'll be rewarded with a better product in the end.

Without further adieu, I give you..............RG's Cinnamon Rolls!!

Dough
1 cup (8 ounces) Lukewarm Milk
2 large eggs, Room Temperature
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) Salted Butter, cut up
4 1/2 cups (19 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) White Sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons Instant Yeast

Filling
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) Salted Butter, softened
1 cup (7 1/4 ounces) Brown Sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) Ground Cinnamon

Icing
3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup (2 ounces) Salted Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Glazing or Confectioners’ Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
*optional* 2 tablespoons Orange Juice (sounds weird, trust me though)

Kitchenaid Method: Place all dough ingredients into your Kitchenaid Bowl and mix with dough hook until a nice dough ball forms. Lightly oil your hands and remove dough from the bowl and shape the dough into a ball by continually turning it outside in, rolling the top into the bottom until it is smooth and round.  Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to grease all sides, cover the bowl with a proof cover or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 60 minutes, till it’s nearly doubled in bulk.

Manual Method: Combine all of the dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring till the mixture becomes cohesive. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and knead it for 5 to 8 minutes, till it’s smooth. Lightly oil your hands and remove and shape the dough into a ball by continually turning it outside in, rolling the top into the bottom until it is smooth and round.  Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to grease all sides, cover the bowl with a proof cover or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 60 minutes, till it’s nearly doubled in bulk.

Bread Machine Method: Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (usually, liquids first, yeast last). Program the machine for dough or manual, and press Start. After about 10 minutes of kneading, check the dough’s consistency; it should be fairly smooth, not too sticky, not dry and "gnarly." Adjust its consistency with additional flour or water, if necessary, and allow the machine to complete its cycle.

Assembly: Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and roll it into a 16 x 21-inch rectangle. Spread the dough with the 1/3 cup butter. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle it evenly over the dough.

Starting with a short end, roll the dough into a log, and cut it into 12 slices. Place the buns in a lightly buttered 9 x 13-inch pan. Cover the pan with a proof cover or plastic wrap, and let the buns rise until they’re nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. For better results, proof in refrigerator overnight.

Bake the buns in a preheated 350°F oven until they’re golden brown, about 25 minutes. You want an internal temp of 190°. While the buns are baking, make the icing.

Icing: In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla (as well as optional orange juice). Spread the icing on the buns while they’re warm. Yield: 12 big buns. Just enough for 2 people, lol!!! :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: RG's Cinnamon Rolls!!
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
I don't do much baking. Those look good Guy and know my wife would love them!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
RG,
You just knocked it out of the park!!  They look really good.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
Might have to give this a go.

The misses is the baker in our family (even though I work at the commercial bakery :P ).  I'm the family cook, a little bit of this a little bit of that, eh the food looks done to me ;)
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »
Bookmarked!!   I thank you, but my waistline does not ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

RG's Cinnamon Rolls!!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:13:57 PM »
Those look killer
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:47:24 AM »
I like how you but so much frosty on them.  I like lots of frosty.  Give me a glass of milk and back up.  Those looks super yummy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:41:41 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:30:31 AM »
Most excellent..have you tried the Vietnamese cinnamon?  really makes a difference. I love baking..   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 01:59:00 AM »
They look great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:17:07 AM »
Excellent looking rolls.

Icing is gravy for baked goods. I like gravy at least as much as Hub does and feel the same way about icing (and its close relatives - glaze, frosting, and toppings). The dough part is good but it's really only a serving vessel for the main ingredients, which can and should be eaten (separately or together) with a spoon, spatula, or finger.

I think I gained three pounds just looking at the pictures and writing this.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion