Author Topic: NEED ADVICE -soft side coolers  (Read 2226 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
NEED ADVICE -soft side coolers
« Reply #-1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
I am looking to get a soft side cooler. I see prices from $15 to $299 (YETI). I know the Yeti are probably very good but I don't need to have the ice last forever. Looking for something that will keep things cold most of the day.
Quality is more important than cost from the standpoint I don't want to go cheap and be disappointed. With that said, I don't see spending $299 for a YETI.
Anyone have experience with these and can make any recommendations.?
Thanks
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline rexster314

Re: NEED ADVICE -soft side coolers
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
I had a Yeti 30 soft sider for about a year, hated every minute, especially when trying to get a cool one out of it. The zipper and top are so stiff you will scratch up your arms reaching in and coming out. Sold it back in the spring. I just recently purchased an RTIC 20 soft side. Much better design, the entire top flips back for easy entry. Ice will last about a day and a half, soda cans stay extremely cold. I put some 48 small ice cream cups in it yesterday, iced them down and then salted the ice. The ice cream was still frozen hard after a couple of hours. Best part is it's half the price of a Yeti and appears to be just as good a quality. It also has molle loops so you can hang a bottle opener on the bag for your Coronas
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
Glad you asked this one Gus...I have had the same thing on my mind -and thanks rester for the heads up about the RTIC.

Glad to see some other brands enter the market at comparable performance and better price point.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
Fellas check out IceMule coolers. 99.9 % of soft-side coolers leak. This one doesn't!  It's a rolltop, easy access, very insulated. Have had mine over a year and nary a problem. It's an ice saver! And won't break the bank.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
I am sure you have seen this but just in-case http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Soft-Cooler-Reviews/Polar-Bear-Coolers-24-Pack

Another one   http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-soft-cooler/

One more that boaters use     https://www.aocoolers.com/

I have bought many over the years & I never have been happy with any. As a boater I wanted one that would last a weekend & I did not need it to be bear proof. I have never found one that lasts that long.

Now that being said I have not bought any in the last five years (still recovering)*** except a $12.00 one this year that lasted 6 hours. It was for my family for a beach day.
Lasted six hours.

My therapist says it is time to buy a new one ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am in a market for one also for my little air boat if I ever get it in the water. So let is know what you get? In the mean time I will check the fall boat shows for what is new on the market.

I still feel the best cooler for value IMO is a hard cooler the Coleman six day cooler I have used it for tailgating, work parties & it has held up very well but I take care of it. It is a great cooler even if you can't throw it off a mountain or let a bear play with it. but again it is a hard cooler.

The problem with soft sided coolers is they smell, leak, fall over & don't keep things cold for long enough.  Plus, they are not easy to empty the melted water when things are still in them.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
I guess this would be in the one I would buy today if I was buying but not in my budget so I will keep looking LOL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YKDIA8/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH4155
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline stalag

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
You get what you pay for.  However I might suggest Engel.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
Not Coolers but I've been very happy with the cheap WM Ozark mountain cups and they compare to Yeti for 1/4 of the price. Lots of stuff online with guys comparing the tumblers and coolers.

Love to cook and eat