Author Topic: Lenora's Yeast Rolls (from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads)  (Read 22376 times)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Lenora's Yeast Rolls (from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads)
« Reply #-1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:15:17 AM »
This recipe is from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads and the recipe is from his Mother. This is my recipe from his information and I usually use TWO packages of the yeast as I like that flavor in my rolls. I also do it in my Kitchen-Aid mixer.

Lenora's Yeast Rolls:

Ingredients:

1 egg (room temperature)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed potato or prepared instant
3/4 cup milk, room temperature)
1/3 cup (5/8 stick) butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Baking sheet, muffin pans, and or cake pan.
Baking sheet or sheets for parker house, bowknots, rosettes, butterhorns and crescent rolls. Cloverleafs and fan-tans are placed in muffin tins, while pan rolls are set in  8” or 9” cake pans. Select the proper ones and grease.

By hand or mixer 15 mins.
In a large mixing or mixer bowl blend the egg and sugar. Add the potato, milk, soften butter, and salt.  Mix together either with a wooden spoon or mixer flat beater.   Add 2 cups flour and the yeast.   Beat 100 strokes, or for 1 minute in the mixer. Gradually add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, first with the wooden spoon and then by hand as the dough becomes firm. If using a mixer, attach the dough hook.

Work the flour into a moist ball until it cleans the sides of the bowl and has lost much of its stickiness.  Under the dough hook, the dough will clean the sides of the bowl and form a ball about the revolving hook.

Is is an easy dough to work because of its high butterfat content.

Kneading 8 mins.: 
If by hand, turn the soft dough onto a floured work surface and knead with a strong push-turn-fold motion until it becomes smooth and velvety  under your hands.   Or knead under the dough hook in the mixer.  If the ball of dough sticks to the sides of the bowl during kneading, add sprinkles of flour.  Knead for 8 minutes.

First rising 1 1/4 hours
Return the dough to the bowl, stretch a length of plastic wrap across the top, and leave at room temperature until the dough has risen to double in volume, 1 1/4 hours.

(If prepared with a new fast-rising yeast and at the recommended higher temperature, reduce the rising times by half. )

Shaping 20 mins.
The dough (4 cups of which will weigh about 2 pounds) can be made into one shape of dinner roll or divided among the various shapes, and desired , in about 20 minutes.

Dust the work surface with flour.  Divide the dough in half. 

Cloverleaf (12 pieces)
With your palms, roll each dough half into a 16” rope.  If the rope draws back, allow it to relax for 3 or 4 minutes before proceeding.  Cut  each rope into 18 pieces. Shape each into a  small ball; place 3, in triangle formation, in each muffin cup.

Second Rising 30 Mins.
Brush the roll tops with melted butter, cover with wax paper, and leave at room temperature until the rolls have doubled in size, 30 minutes.

Preheat
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees 20 minutes before baking

Baking 400 degrees 12-15 minutes.
Place the rolls in the oven and bake until a golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
( if using a convection oven, reduce heat 40 degrees)

Final Step
Remove from the oven and immediately brush with melted butter.  Place on a metal rack to cool.

Delicious served warm from the oven.

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts