Author Topic: Pigs and Cows and Chickens, Oh My  (Read 756 times)

Offline scottingaround

Pigs and Cows and Chickens, Oh My
« Reply #-1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
I celebrated my 6 decade birthday a week ago and as has become tradition, I do dinner for the family. This time, I had the bright idea to do multiple meats on the PBC so that everything was ready come early dinner (4PM). I began plotting what to cook and how long each would take a few weeks in advance. I determined that I would cook 4 racks pork spare ribs, 2 chickens and my first ever packer brisket. When I took this brilliant idea to the financial department, she, in her most supportive way possible, advised me that the plan's scale was well beyond practicality. In short, I was nuts. But,since she new of my mental state when she married me, she had no choice but fund the endeavor.

The brisket was a prime cut from Costco, which was surprising reasonable and weighed in at just over 15 lbs (before trimming). I used to only cook pork loin or baby back ribs but since the PBC, have been doing the full spare rib, slightly trimmed. Love those tender ends :). We used 2 chickens of similar size we already had.

I trimmed everything the day before, cold and fresh from the refrigerator to make it easier to work with. I used PBC meat and game for the ribs, all purpose for the chicken and just salt and pepper for the brisket, no injection. Brisket in at 7AM, spritzed with apple cider vinegar every hour and out at noon with a temp of 170F, wrapped in foil with no added liquids. Set in gas grill at 300F temp until the brisket hit 200 and was tender when probed, then wrapped in a towel and sentenced to solitaire in the cooler until the ribs and chicken were ready. Dumped the PBC coals and started a new batch, ribs in at 12:30, spritz with apple juice every hour. Chicken halves went in at 2PM, no basting. Both ready at 4:50PM - about an hour later than planned but everything was just right. Brisket was still plenty hot when removed from the cooler and I meant to but did not measure the temp to see what that resting stage added. My eldest son really enjoys doing BBQ and was eager to cut it all up for me (plus the tasting that goes with the cutting). He did the ribs and I did the chicken and brisket. Too much food but that was by design. There would be no running out of one thing over another and allowed for take home to boot. We all ate too much. And, as usual, I forgot to take pictures. Try harder next time.

There was also a home made potato salad and doctored up Bush's beans as well as a store-bought cake. I'm a pie fan normally and really not the person to go out of my way for a grocery store cake but I will recommend if you have a Ralph's or Kroger nearby, try their tuxedo layered mousse cake. It's decadent.

Happy Trails,
Scott
If it's smokin', it's cooking. If it's black, it's done.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Pigs and Cows and Chickens, Oh My
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »
Everything sounds great. I do not see the pictures though............. ;) :D :)

I am sure this excellent sounding cook happened................. ;)

I mean, it had to happen, you just don't make this smokey goodness stuff up.................

Just pulling your tail....but pleeeeeaaassseee, pictures next time buddy  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »
Everything sounds great. I do not see the pictures though............. ;) :D :)

I am sure this excellent sounding cook happened................. ;)

I mean, it had to happen, you just don't make this smokey goodness stuff up.................

Just pulling your tail....but pleeeeeaaassseee, pictures next time buddy  :)
X2
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline scottingaround

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
I accept my wet noodle whipping for the (lack of) photos and vow to rectify that next time.

Happy Trails,
Scott
If it's smokin', it's cooking. If it's black, it's done.