Author Topic: Charcoal  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Kona

Re: Charcoal
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
Sorry it took so long I've been out of town, here is where mine is set

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 12:02:50 AM »
Let me encourage you to try different settings - after you run a few cooks. What you will find is that the top of the PBC, and the 4 holes where the rebar rods go - are far more influential in determining your cooking temps. Why?

Because much the same as a car engine - you can hold the throat on the carburetor wide open and pour fuel thru it - but if the exhaust system is clogged, or restricted...the car is not going to do much more than shudder, cough, back fire and sputter.

Think of your lowest vent - the intake vent-  as the intake of your car. And those 4 holes for rebar - and the tight fitting lid as the exhaust system. The fuel being the oxygenated air that will be pulled into the PBC thru the intake vent. SO - you can open the vent as much as you want - but - unless you allow the exhaust from the combustion that occurs when we get our coals going well - you will not see much of a temp rise.

This is the reasoning for my previous post about how to run your PBC hotter - or cooler than the nearly automatic mode that it works in so well - by just following the instructions from PBC. Just for fun...experiment with it after you gain some confidence in knowing it's tendencies.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Thank you all for the information. I will give all your suggestions a go once I get more experience with the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slothritis

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
How long will one cook last ? For example, if I wanted to do a brisket, would I have to refill the charcoal basket?

Offline Kona

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:24 AM »
How long will one cook last ? For example, if I wanted to do a brisket, would I have to refill the charcoal basket?

I recently did a 8lb pork butt that took 10 hours and still had some coals left over
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
The lighting process is key to consistent temperatures. Since you are so close to sea level, for longer cooks especially, be sure your food is in at 12 minutes and no later than 15 minutes. Never hesitate to contact us at the office if you have questions or concerns. Enjoy, and thank you for choosing Pit Barrel Cooker.

Offline Kona

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
The lighting process is key to consistent temperatures. Since you are so close to sea level, for longer cooks especially, be sure your food is in at 12 minutes and no later than 15 minutes. Never hesitate to contact us at the office if you have questions or concerns. Enjoy, and thank you for choosing Pit Barrel Cooker.

I swear by this ever since I spoke to Noah over the phone about issues I was having early on. They go on at 12 minutes or sooner depending on what my coals look like.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline psousa781

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »

I swear by this ever since I spoke to Noah over the phone about issues I was having early on. They go on at 12 minutes or sooner depending on what my coals look like.

For my own clarification can you confirm if it should be Example A, B, or something else from below?

A: Light the chimney and let the coals heat in it for 12 minutes, dump them and hang the meat right away.

B: Light the chimney, let the coals heat up (12-15 minutes) then dump the coals and let the barrel heat up for 12 minutes (covered) and hang the meat.

Offline Kona

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
I don't use a chimney I've always used lighter fluid. I light and will check roughly at the 8 minute mark and depending on how white the coals are, I'll either let it go to 12 or hang accordingly but never longer than 12 minutes
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »

For my own clarification can you confirm if it should be Example A, B, or something else from below?

A: Light the chimney and let the coals heat in it for 12 minutes, dump them and hang the meat right away.

B: Light the chimney, let the coals heat up (12-15 minutes) then dump the coals and let the barrel heat up for 12 minutes (covered) and hang the meat.

Option A is how I do it, though occasionally I will let the chimney go 15 minutes when it's cold out.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Royal Oak brands do very well in the Pit Barrel Cooker. Go for the briquettes when doing longer cooks.

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »
I do really like the Royal Oak charcoal.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline phoccer

• Random bits of info
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
I've read good things about B&B briquettes, lasting 10 to 12 hours, but I haven't tried them myself yet.

I use Kingsford Professional and have had no issues getting 6 to 8 hours out of a basket. I light 40 in a PBC chimney, let them go for 12 minutes, dump the coals on, add the meat.
Weber Premium 22 w/ a Slow N Sear Plus
Pit Barrel Cooker