Author Topic: Looking at a MAK  (Read 3879 times)

Offline FinsnFeathers

Looking at a MAK
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »
Think this is the right place to post this.  ;D

I have been doing a lot to research and comparisons on smokers/grills.

Since I want to stay with made in the U.S. I have been very interested in the MAK line.

So here is my question. I am one of those guys who likes to kick the tires before I buy. Is there a dealer around the Seattle area where I can go check them out?

Thanks in advance.
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Looking at a MAK
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Why dont you just drive to Dallas Oregon and go to the mak plant.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
I have seen a 1 star in person a while back in San Bernardino. The quality is off the charts good. I would buy one sight unseen. MAK is the best, nothing comes close.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
If I had the $$$$ there would be a MAK at the Bomm-a-Rossa but to much right now   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »
I bought my MAK 2-Star sight unseen.  After several years of yearning for one, watching myriad YouTube videos, and reading countless testimonials from users in this forum and others, I never had a doubt that I would love the MAK.  After 1.5 years of consistent use, it has lived up to its reputation both in performance and in MAK's customer service.  (As for the customer service, while my MAK was in transit, MAK called to notify me that they realized there was a mistake on the smoker box of my grill--the holes for the accessory rack were drilled on the wrong side.  MAK said they would ship out a corrected one in a few weeks.  I was floored that they 1. realized the mistake, and 2. offered to fix it before I even received the grill.)  If you go with a MAK, there is no way you be disappointed.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Pappymn

Looking at a MAK
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 07:40:34 PM »
Road trip to Oregon. Get the tour and buy on the spot. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
Have owned a MAK 2 Star since 2011. Right now I'm on my 2nd one ... my first one is being used by my Son  8)  8)  :thumbup:

Best product bar none and their support is fantastic!!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline rwalters

Looking at a MAK
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:27:12 AM »
MAK now sells direct from the factory, or from Big Poppa Smokers. There are no more dealers. I have a MAK...and I guarantee you will be in awe of the quality should you take the leap. They really are a "you get what you pay for" grill/smoker :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the grill. May have to take that road trip.
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
We have two and love them. I would recommend the trip to MAK

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
Many here may not know this, and I will try to be as accurate as I can, with my apologies to MAK if this is out-of-turn:

MAK Metals - the parent of MAK Grills - is one of the country's main providers of the equipment that most of us have ignored, but we pass by it every day. The big brushed stainless boxes that are on one corner of a light controlled intersection. These "boxes" contain some pretty sophisticated electronics that control the traffic lights and can link up with an entire network of others, which can be controlled remotely to alter traffic patterns/flow. So, the boxes must be robust - and the electronics MUST work.
This is the background - rugged weather durability and dependable electronics design/implementation - that MAK Metals brought into the outdoor cooking industry.

MAK is a true locally owned, American made product. It is well supported because they designed the controller themselves. ( reference above business experience - you can begin to see the relevance of their history and success in the outdoor cooking industry) The only other companies I have seen even attempt this - have been miserably poor controllers, that have needed ( and still need from everyone I know using them) constant firmware up-dates. MAK does have a few up-dates....but not because of "problems" with the previous ones. Just adding features and an occasional "tweak" . The rest of our industry buys their controller from 2 or 3 companies that make "canned" - or standard models which approximate different size pits in cooking volume. Whereas the MAK controller recognizes the air flow, and individual characteristics that make MAKS cook so evenly across the grill surface.
Just look at the awards they have won - from the same industry association that serious outdoor cooking manufacturers are part of:
https://www.makgrills.com/awards/
These are recognition by your peers/competitors that you are building a superior product, and offering the consumer great value.
Quality does not cost - it pays....because you will never need to replace a MAK because you "wore it out". Their focus is not the same as many companies - whose philosophy is based on "life cycle" . Those companies plan on trying to sell you another, and then another, and another grill when you "wear out" your grill.
Again - my apologies to MAK if I mis-spoke here....But they are one of those quiet, focused companies that does not do much advertising. They don't need to I suppose, when their customers are their marketing dept! :D

I am the 2nd owner of the 23rd ( #48 ) MAK ever sold. I have a thread here showing it's "refresh" - bringing it up to current model features and finish. I do not know of any other manufacturer that offers the up-gradeablity that MAK does. ( the photos are gone now...will show those on the next one )
I now have a 2nd one - first generation also - that I am about to embark on bringing it up to the same current condition.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:31:38 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
So well put Tim.

In the pellet grill world, there is MAK and then there is everybody else.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
Thanks Scott ( or should I say..."Tex"... ;D)
I am not trying to "shamelessly promote" MAK. I believe in their products because I owned them before they ever became a sponsor here. Or - said differently, they were asked to become a sponsor because of how well they perform - both as a company - and a product.
Perfect? No - I don't think that is a fair descriptor of anything or anyone. But - the degree of thoughtful design, engineering and purposeful customer service/support is exceptional in this industry - or any industry I would bet.
MAK is a small company in terms of how many people you will speak to when you call. That is clearly by design. It allows the customer to have as direct a connection as possible with the folks that create, design and build the MAK pellet grills. This promotes constant attention to the details that can make a big difference in overall customer satisfaction.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
Thanks for that background Teesquare. I think I am starting to win over the CFO.
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline rwalters

Looking at a MAK
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
Thanks Scott ( or should I say..."Tex"... ;D)
I am not trying to "shamelessly promote" MAK. I believe in their products because I owned them before they ever became a sponsor here. Or - said differently, they were asked to become a sponsor because of how well they perform - both as a company - and a product.
Perfect? No - I don't think that is a fair descriptor of anything or anyone. But - the degree of thoughtful design, engineering and purposeful customer service/support is exceptional in this industry - or any industry I would bet.
MAK is a small company in terms of how many people you will speak to when you call. That is clearly by design. It allows the customer to have as direct a connection as possible with the folks that create, design and build the MAK pellet grills. This promotes constant attention to the details that can make a big difference in overall customer satisfaction.
Many here may not know this, and I will try to be as accurate as I can, with my apologies to MAK if this is out-of-turn:

MAK Metals - the parent of MAK Grills - is one of the country's main providers of the equipment that most of us have ignored, but we pass by it every day. The big brushed stainless boxes that are on one corner of a light controlled intersection. These "boxes" contain some pretty sophisticated electronics that control the traffic lights and can link up with an entire network of others, which can be controlled remotely to alter traffic patterns/flow. So, the boxes must be robust - and the electronics MUST work.
This is the background - rugged weather durability and dependable electronics design/implementation - that MAK Metals brought into the outdoor cooking industry.

MAK is a true locally owned, American made product. It is well supported because they designed the controller themselves. ( reference above business experience - you can begin to see the relevance of their history and success in the outdoor cooking industry) The only other companies I have seen even attempt this - have been miserably poor controllers, that have needed ( and still need from everyone I know using them) constant firmware up-dates. MAK does have a few up-dates....but not because of "problems" with the previous ones. Just adding features and an occasional "tweak" . The rest of our industry buys their controller from 2 or 3 companies that make "canned" - or standard models which approximate different size pits in cooking volume. Whereas the MAK controller recognizes the air flow, and individual characteristics that make MAKS cook so evenly across the grill surface.
Just look at the awards they have won - from the same industry association that serious outdoor cooking manufacturers are part of:
https://www.makgrills.com/awards/
These are recognition by your peers/competitors that you are building a superior product, and offering the consumer great value.
Quality does not cost - it pays....because you will never need to replace a MAK because you "wore it out". Their focus is not the same as many companies - whose philosophy is based on "life cycle" . Those companies plan on trying to sell you another, and then another, and another grill when you "wear out" your grill.
Again - my apologies to MAK if I mis-spoke here....But they are one of those quiet, focused companies that does not do much advertising. They don't need to I suppose, when their customers are their marketing dept! :D

I am the 2nd owner of the 23rd ( #48 ) MAK ever sold. I have a thread here showing it's "refresh" - bringing it up to current model features and finish. I do not know of any other manufacturer that offers the up-gradeablity that MAK does. ( the photos are gone now...will show those on the next one )
I now have a 2nd one - first generation also - that I am about to embark on bringing it up to the same current condition.
Fantastic post...well written and VERY informative!   Not that I wasn't already thrilled with my MAK, but this is the icing on the cake :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)