Author Topic: First brisket  (Read 2053 times)

Offline rcrabb22

First brisket
« Reply #-1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »
I am doing my first brisket.  I watched Noah's video at least a dozen times. I followed all the advice. 

My plan was to have the meat hung at 8:00 am which I hit on the button but ran into a problem first thing.   When I hung my full packer brisket it was too long with the bottom 3 or 4 inches resting on the coals.  Must have been a long animal  :)   I took it off hooks and used the grate instead.  The internal temp of the barrel settled @ 297F after spiking at 378F.  The point reached 160F after 2 3/24 hours.  I am about to take it off and wrap it before it goes back on the grate with my Smoke probe in the point. 

My guess is the brisket will be 200F in another 3 hours.  I was planning for an 8 hour cook but I am estimating a 5 hour cook and I will do a 2 hour rest.

Is 5 hours cook time too fast?

Weber Kettle
PBC
Kitchen aide NG (not that happy with it
should have bought a Weber)
Thermapen MK4
ThermoWorks Smoke
Kal Clone Electric Brewery (theelectricbrewery.com)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First brisket
« on: October 08, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
It might take more than 5 hours. It is a large brisket and you have reached the "stall". Those connective tissues have to break down. I have wrapped and held briskets for up to 3 hours or more with no problems.

Be sure not to let 200 internal temp to be your guide as to when to pull it. Use a toothpick and probe the brisket in different spots.  When that toothpick goes in and out like butter and is clean, pull the brisket and let it rest.

I have been making up some au jus which I add to the foil wrap for when I rest the brisket. It is great to dip your slices (from the flat) in when serving.

You are going to have one great supper.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
I've done a couple briskets on the PBC now and the last one was about perfection! My experience has been close to yours and I think they took right around 6-6 1/2 hours +/-. With the higher temps on the PBC you don't experience as much of a stall as it just seems to push right on through. Keep us posted and let us know how it comes out.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline psousa781

First brisket
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Yeah, the higher temp, plus if you crutch, seems to keep cook times for a single brisket in the 6-8 hour window.  I’m doing two this Saturday and curious how cook time will be effected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
Putting a large pc of protein like a full packer or two full packers, you will be best served by leaving them out to come up close to room temp. This way you wont be putting a 12 lb or higher cold mass of meat into the smoker which will really make the coals get more spent early on while they come up to temp.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rcrabb22

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
Sorry for the late update. 

The brisket reached hit 202F at 2:46 pm or a total cook time of 6.75 hours.  I had wrapped and tied it in butcher paper when it reached 160 F (10:45 am per my first post).  If my math is any good  :P it took 4 hours to reach 200 F.  I did also do the tooth pick test per smokeasaurus and it seemed tender but never doing that before who knows for sure.  We had not planned dinner until 7pm so I kept it wrapped in the paper and put it in the oven on a rimmed baking sheet at 170F (lowest our oven could be set to) until 6:30 pm.  When I took it out there were a few puddles of rendered fat but I would estimate 60 - 70-% of the sheet was clean.  I shoulda taken some pictures but I was busy making the half sweet potato, half red potato garlic smashed potatoes.  I can say the brisket was fork tender and the smoked flavor came through nicely.  In fact the kitchen had a nice smoke aroma from the hold time in the oven.    I'll call it a success!
Weber Kettle
PBC
Kitchen aide NG (not that happy with it
should have bought a Weber)
Thermapen MK4
ThermoWorks Smoke
Kal Clone Electric Brewery (theelectricbrewery.com)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Sounds like that "unicorn" brisket came out great  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sorry, had to do it......we just love pictures  ;) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline phoccer

• Random bits of info
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »
Holding those in the oven at 170 makes a world of difference. Allows the connective tissue to break down more and makes them incredibly tender. Glad to hear it worked out so well for you.
Weber Premium 22 w/ a Slow N Sear Plus
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
If a brisket is too long - how about cutting it in half and hang seperately - anyone try this ?