Author Topic: Cook time for beef ribs  (Read 1846 times)

Offline SteelerFanInTexas

Cook time for beef ribs
« Reply #-1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
Hello folks-

My PBC arrived this week.  My son took the lead on our first cook - a 12 lb brisket.  It came out fantastic.  A couple of pics attached.

Up today: one rack of beef ribs.  I see on the PBC site, the cooking instructions ffor beef ribs are ~ 90 minutes (60 with rub, 30 additional after putting on bbq sauce).  He mentions that pork ribs are more like 3-4 hours.  However, I also see on that site Ballistic BBQ says he did his for about 2.5 hours plus another half an hour after putting BBQ sauce on.  In looking at cooks here on the PBC forum, I don't see much mention to whether the ribs are beef or pork (gentle suggestion - that would be helpful for people posting cook times in the future to mention which type of ribs) - but I see longer cook times. 

I know it's all guesswork, but I'm trying to get an idea of cook time so I can try to time it to a reasonable dinnertime estimate. 

What do you folks do for beef ribs?  And do you measure the meat temp or do you just go by look?

Thanks to all for the help.

Chris

Offline Kona

Re: Cook time for beef ribs
« on: October 09, 2017, 01:47:46 PM »
What type of beef ribs do you have? Back ribs, short ribs or plate ribs? Beef ribs I've cooked haven't had much meat on them but I've done some fairly meaty short ribs and took about 3 hours. I do wrap my beef ribs for a bit during the cook.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Back ribs. 

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
It's probably safe to assume roughly 3 hours depending on meatiness. I know some back ribs are pretty thin when it comes to the amount of meat. Some people may wrap their ribs to help with tenderness after they've taken on enough smoke. I've always gone by visual when determining if they are done but some people will use the probe test, if you stick a toothpick etc in the meat and it goes in like butter with no resistance, they are done. I'll take a good beef rib over pork any day.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the help, Kona.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
Brisket looks  :thumbup:   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »

Thanks.  It was (and still is) delicious.  I think my son might have put just a bit too much wood in, but it was still moist and delicious...which reminds me, need to add some wood into the briquettes for ribs I just started!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »

Thanks.  It was (and still is) delicious.  I think my son might have put just a bit too much wood in, but it was still moist and delicious...which reminds me, need to add some wood into the briquettes for ribs I just started!
Looking forward to seeing thos done  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »

Looking forward to seeing thos done  ;)

I just threw some whiskey barrel wood chips on there.  I'll post some before/after pics when I'm done.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:24 PM »
Well, today's beef ribs were disappointing - no fault of the PBC, certainly.

First, the ribs had very little meat on them.  I think I'm going to have to try some pork ribs next time. 

Second, I put too much rub on - they were very salty. 

Despite that, a few bites were good  :D  and I could tell how good ribs could be if done properly.

Live and learn.  I don't have time to use the PBC during the week, but am tentatively planning some fish and/or spatchcocked chicken. 

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
Yes, the brisket definitely looks awesome! We try to put as much helpful information on our website as possible and you can always give us a call as well if you ever have questions or concerns. Here is the link to some helpful videos if you would like to go there: https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/resources/.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
I can never find beef back ribs that seem like they have any decent amount of meat on them.

For me, the show stopper is Beef Chuck Ribs (similar to Plate Ribs), but I can only get them at Restaurant Depot. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC