Author Topic: A special night (Oktoberfest) at our Yacht Club.  (Read 989 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

A special night (Oktoberfest) at our Yacht Club.
« Reply #-1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Sometimes in life you have a special night & when it includes amazing food it does not get much better than that.

Barbara & I went to our little club (80 members) on the Housatonic river for our annual Oktoberfest evening with a German band, German draft beer, German wines & some great club members. They also had plenty of outdoor games including cornhole.

The Setting: A full moon with the temps in the 70’s with a slight breeze. It was just perfect. I almost forgot on the river (salt water is my second love).

Barbara & I were sitting by ourselves at a large table when two couples came over to join us for dinner. We all got along so well we did not want the night to end.

They had an open bar of German wine & German draft beer along with sodas & water.  I did the wine & as my wife drove so she had water.

First, we had warm pretzels with German mustard with our drinks.

The buffet meal included:  An amazing garden salad with fresh tomatoes & homemade dressing, sauerkraut & fresh German sausage, German meat in sauce (best I have ever had including some of the top restaurants in NYC.) It was so good I went back four times. Potato pancakes, German potato salad, wonderful Spätzle, Fresh apple sauce that was sauce & slices mixed together & I know Don will be proud of me …….fresh Rye bread with Lots & Lots of butter.

For dessert we had homemade apple strudel with cinnamon & walnuts…..Plus I had more of the meat (five times) don’t tell my wife as it was hidden on my strudel plate.

The only thing missing this year was the red cabbage.....don't know why but the meal was AAA without it

It was one of those nights I will remember for a long time. With all the stress there is in all our lives this type of night is needed from time to time.

When I joined four years ago I knew our chef was special for a club our size I was fortunate to be there during his last year (He was there for nine years) as he left the next year to open his own restaurant. We have gone through four chefs since then.  So far, he comes back once a year to cook for this event. In fact, last week he joined the club so I hope next year I will have the boat slip next to him. Hey i am not too proud to beg for leftovers LOL.

This had to be one of the three best nights out I have ever had with my beautiful wife.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:26:16 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Re: A special night (Oktoberfest) at our Yacht Club.
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
How could I forget the cabbage & sausage soup with potatoes........Three cups for me ....wow did I really eat that much ??? ??? ??? My wife is right I am a pig ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D & loving it
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!    :D     if I coukld get off  ;)

Sounds like a great time had by all!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »

I'm with ya! That all sounds just excellent! Happy for you that you get to indulge in something as wonderful as that. Very cool write up, I felt like I was there with you :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 01:00:14 AM »
That all sounds great.  Learning to sail is something I'd love to do.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking the other night that if I had won powerball I could have had everyone on the forum up for the night. Then go to New Haven the next day for Pizza.       Why is it that the wrong people always win the big Lotto's ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill