Author Topic: Oven Roaster Chicken In PBC ?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Oven Roaster Chicken In PBC ?
« Reply #-1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »
I thought I would buy one of the larger Perdue Oven Roaster Chickens from Publix and hang using the turkey hanger I bought last year right before Thanksgiving . I believe these chickens are packed in a mild saline solution already so no need to inject and weigh about #6 lbs. - Just put on a rub and hang using Stubs charcoal until my temp probe in the breast comes up to 165. I plan to pull all the meat and mix the dark / white meat together - maybe mix up some Alabama White Sauce to mix with the chicken and serve on the side ... *What would be your recipe or approach for cooking a large roaster chicken (without cutting it in half) on the PBC and then how would you serve it after it is cooked ? Also to use smoking wood or not ? ...Chicken is so easy to over smoke I get timid to use any smoking wood (probably because I used too much in the past ) .

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Oven Roaster Chicken In PBC ?
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
I like your plan to use the turkey hanger. Be sure to check both thighs for internal temps. Poultry is a smoke magnet and you will get more than enough flavor from the "grease fog" that the charcoal will provide.

That is my 2 cents. Looking forward to the end results.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline psousa781

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
I did exactly this a couple weeks ago, minus pulling the chicken, and it turned out great.  I just used charcoal, no wood chunks, for the cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »
I'm thinking that hanging a whole roaster chicken that the thighs would have no trouble being done in the PBC (180 degrees F.) before the breast meat hits 165 F. ?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
I will take sandwich bags and fill them with crushed ice and set the bags over the breasts in the fridge for an hour or so before the cook. this always ensure that the breasts take longer to come up to temp.....give it a try.

I always check both sides of whole chickens. I was told a very scary story about food poisoning from a Thanksgiving turkey by a pretty experienced pit master years ago and I have been super careful ever since.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline scottv

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »
I usually spatchcock the chicken and put it on the grate and flip it a few times during the cook. Seems to come out the best way to me.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk