Author Topic: Weldable Metal?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Jaxon

Weldable Metal?
« Reply #-1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
I found something they call "weldable metal" at Tractor Supply. I want to use it in my Assassin to create a charcoal snake.  I know I can't use galvanized steel.
Is this type metal safe?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Weldable Metal?
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:51 PM »
I could find any info about what it is - on the Tractor Supply site Jack....But, you might want to look at a metal supply house, or a good size welding/fabrication shop - and ask them for mild steel or carbon steel.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »
Just thinking out loud..........you can easily grab a expanded metal charcoal box on-line and then just stand up some fire brick for a snake burn..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »
  If you were to go to a welding shop they probably have some scrap they would give you that is much heavier and would have a long lifespan. Even if they charged you it is still most likely cheaper and better than TS.
 Tell them what it's for and mention you might bring in a rack of ribs and they might even tack a couple pieces together for your snake. 
To Smokes point , You can get thin firebrick which would last for years without the upkeep of the steel.   

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
I've also seen photos of charcoal snakes in the Assassin made from square steel stock.  It was just cut to length and laid in place to build the maze/snake.  This would also let you play with the width of the path to adjust how it burns.

If you have the photobucket fix add on to either chrome or firefox you can see the photo (it's from another forum and not mine so I'm using the source).  Direct URL link to the image is also here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/TwiztidOne/media/cGF0aDpBc3Nhc3NpbiA0OCBHcmlsbCBBbmQgU21va2VyL0RTQ0Y5NTE5LmpwZw==/?ref=

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:40:39 PM »
Now THAT'S what I'm lookin' for!

Off to the shop...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!