Author Topic: to cook or not to cook.......  (Read 4875 times)

Offline bill sack

Re: to cook or not to cook.......
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
    thank you HUB for your thoughts i appreciate it........i'm looking for that first grand and to learn just what judges are looking for ..... i'll take this class very serious as well as my cooking.

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »
Morning Bill,

As a long time judge, most would tell you that it doesn't make any difference in your pork selection as long as it is cooked well. In the real world, most are cooking just plain pork butts.

The St. Louis cut spare ribs are the most popular turn in at the present time in the rib category with loin backs the second choice. A judge rarely sees real baby back ribs that weigh 1-3/4 down as all of these go to restaurants. Most loin backs will weigh about 2.25 to 2.50 down to about 3.00 pounds per whole 13 bone slab.

Chicken thighs are winning most contests with legs showing up once in a while. You also see some white meat as well.

Taking the judging class will help you with your contest cooking but probably not like you think. You will learn HOW to judge a contest.....not how to cook for a contest. They will teach you what is legal how to judge each class of meat. As far as the meat presented at the class, it's only as good as the cook selected to cook it for the class. He could be a great cook or maybe a lousy cook.

Now, here is where you WILL learn....as a KCBS judge, you are now allowed to judge contests and you want to do some as soon as possible. You will see what your competition is turning in. How the meat is presented in the box and just what cuts they are using. How spicy or sweet the meat tastes and how tender is it as compared to yours etc. My friend, it's all there in front of you!! I think you will find that a lot of the turn in taste and look about the same as most good cooks are taking classes on competition cooking.

Congrats in walking in three of the meats this year. I can tell you what is winning in brisket at most contests.

Most cooks are cooking full packer cuts and presenting both slices and burnt ends in the box. Remember, you must nail both of these cuts as each judge will judge both cuts if that is what is presented. If you screw up the burnt ends, don't put them in the box. It's twice as tough when you need to get two cuts of meat right!

The winning cooks, (your competition) are probably cooking the Kobe Wagyu briskets. These are expensive at about $10.00-11.00 a pound shipped to your home. I like the larger ones at about 14 pounds and each one costs me about $150.00 from Snake River Farms. I usually cook one of these and one good CAB brisket for each contest.

You mentioned you wanted to learn just what the judges are looking for....so do all of the other competition cooks. When you get it figured out, please write a book or give a class as I have been trying to figure it out for years!

Have fun at the judging class...

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline bill sack

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
thanks hub for the reply,its as i suspected that all cooks are doing mostly the same things.just looking to improve what i am doing. i see alot of teams winning alot and figure they got it right in what there are doing........probably not alot of secrets out there.......

Offline Hub

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
thanks hub for the reply,its as i suspected that all cooks are doing mostly the same things.just looking to improve what i am doing. i see alot of teams winning alot and figure they got it right in what there are doing........probably not alot of secrets out there.......

Winning teams are characterized by consistency and broad food appeal.  Au Contraire . . . there are many, many secrets out there and the pros don't swap all information  :-X

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
I had a guy tell me once that if he saw a "Good" team turning in at a certain table he would try to turn in at a different table.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bill sack

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
hey smoke, i heard that also....and then i have heard try to turn boxes in asap so judges dont get used to certain tastes on their palate......not so sure about that one........in any case i'm going to cook competitions and continue to get those walks.....

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
In KCBS the boxes are turned in at a table away from the judges.  They mark each with the competitor's number and make sure that each competitor's entry goes to a different judging table each time.  You don't get to pick your table to turn in.  Only one of your entries will be judged by a group of judges.  It is "blind judging" by design.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Hub

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
I had a guy tell me once that if he saw a "Good" team turning in at a certain table he would try to turn in at a different table.

One of the games some of the pro teams play at the turn in table is waiting and watching.  If they see a tough competitor turn in, they may hold back and try to avoid winding up in the same juding tray.  Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the size of the contest and how fast and furious the turn-ins are coming.  I worked turn in at the Cumming, GA contest in November and there was lots of this "wait and pounce" going on.  It's just one of the fun things about contests.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline bill sack

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
   hmmm, just saw the words "Pro team"   what makes them a Pro ? i cook in a contest that is not kcbs sponsored and win big , go to a KCBS contest and do fairly well , at least i'm happy with it for now since i've only just started in 2010....so what is a PRO.?

Offline Hub

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
"Pro" doesn't mean a full-time-do-nothing-but-contest-team.  "Pro" is used to separate the divisions.  Some contests have a "backyard" division for new or less serious cooks.  It doesn't include brisket and typically has a smaller entry fee and prizes.  I've judged backyard several times and it is usually pretty good food, even some that could compete "pro".

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
No reason why "Championship" quality grub can't be cooked in your own back-yard.
Heck, your pit doesn't know where it's at and sometimes the toughest "judges" is your own family...they can be down-right brutal when they don't like something :o
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bill sack

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
your right about the critics at home for sure, thats why i like the comment cards at cook-offs. how else are you going to know what your doing unless somebody tells you......good point.....

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
You can all send samples to my house - and I will tell you you did good! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401