Author Topic: Bark on Pork Shoulder  (Read 9863 times)

Offline Sharpsburg

Bark on Pork Shoulder
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »

Would there really be much of a difference between leaving it hung for the entire cook or putting it on the rack unfoiled at the stall?

I would think that it might not stay on the hooks if taken to a pull-able temperature.

What about using butcher twine to tie it beforehand?  I am doing my first shoulder tomorrow and want to just let it hang the entire cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jani80k

• Hamburg, Germany (Origin of the Hamburger)
Re: Bark on Pork Shoulder
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
Last week on my family vacation trip, I had some pulled pork from a stick burner. I must say that the taste was really good. So when I got back, I tried to figure out how to get that pure wood smoke taste from the PBC (without the drippings hitting the fire) and still get a great bark.
What I finally decided to do was to put the pork neck in a tray to catch the drippings. I had to use some butter fat to get an initial grease cover of the tray to prevent small pieces or juices that come off the pork meat from burning when they first hit the hot tray. These can quickly turn into a black crust that smells unbelievably awful (had it happen to me on my Kamado during one of the first cooks). I used a teaspoon to baste the piece of meat with the drippings inside the tray. I should have done it more often because one side got a bit dry on the outside. I added two pouches of apple wood chips to the fire. Next time I will add even more.
The taste and the bark both were outstanding (sorry for the missing image of the actual pulling of the meat).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:27:55 PM by jani80k »
Dragon Fire Kamado
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:45 AM »
Looks like you ended up getting some great bark on that butt!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 12:25:06 AM »
Looks really good!