Author Topic: Fathers Day Turkey  (Read 2904 times)

Offline SPAM

Fathers Day Turkey
« Reply #-1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:56:05 AM »
After reading numerous postings here on turkey, it seems as though people are getting mixed results. This added to my nervousness (is that a word?) as I would be cooking my first turkey in the PBC for a crowd of family on Fathers Day. And pork butt, but that was in the egg so I won't talk about that here. I was apprehensive and almost didn't do it, but man am I glad I did!
My brother picked up a 21lb bird and the adventure was underway. Stuffed the cavity with lemons, apples, and onions. Covered the bird in peanut oil and rubbed it down with Plowboys Yard Bird Rub. I thought about injecting the breast in an attempt to keep it from drying out, since the bird hangs breast down in the PBC, but I decided against it because the chicken I cook on the PBC is always juicy.
Put one fist sized chunk of cherry wood and one fist sized chunk of Apple wood and two quartered onions on the fire. Hung the bird and now we're cookin!
4 1/2 hours in I had to add a small chimney of lit coals ( I still don't understand why this happens to me, I'm always having to add coals on longer cooks when it seems others don't have to). Pulled the bird at 6 hours 35 minutes, tented and let rest for 30.
Results: AMAZING! Every part of this bird was flavorful and juicy. PBC loves birds!
I want to thank everybody that posts on this site. If not for you, my learning curve would be crazy. Can't thank you enough for all the help, ideas, and instruction.  http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u420/lakers13666/th_2DFB39FB-F4C3-437D-8FD6-F505F4049769_zpsk2ptp0bt.jpg
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Fathers Day Turkey
« on: June 24, 2015, 05:04:09 AM »
Great looking turkey!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
That is a great looking Turkey!

Nice job!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
Nice job, looks like you are ready for Thanksgiving PBC style
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
Way to go - that looks great!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
Looks great.  The leftovers will be great, too.  That turkey carcass will make some outstanding turkey soup.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Looks great! Hopefully you got to save some of those juicy leftovers!
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline amshepar

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »

4 1/2 hours in I had to add a small chimney of lit coals ( I still don't understand why this happens to me, I'm always having to add coals on longer cooks when it seems others don't have to). Pulled the bird at 6 hours 35 minutes, tented and let rest for 30.
Results: AMAZING! Every part of this bird was flavorful and juicy. PBC loves birds!

1) Maybe your vent hole at the bottom is open too much and more air is getting into the PBC than it should.
2) Maybe you need to rotate your PBC so that wind isn't blowing into the vent hole. 
3) Counter intuitively, if you aren't letting the coals burn long enough at the beginning they aren't able to settle down to the right temperature once the lid is placed on the PBC. 
4) If you open the lid multiple times during a cook the temperature will increase and cause the charcoal to burn faster.

Maybe it's all of the above or none of the above.  These are just some factors that can effect both cooking temp and length of charcoal burn. 

For your next cook, if you have the patience, take pictures from start to finish.  Include pictures of the vent, the charcoal basket, provide a count of how many times you open the lid during a cook.  Collectively, somebody on here can probably help point out any flaws in the cooking method that is causing you to have to use more charcoal. 

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:32:04 PM »
Nice looking turkey...so far haven't had to add charcoal on a cook. If you find the problem be sure to let us know...might help some of us.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline SPAM

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:49:25 AM »
Thanks everybody....looks like PBC Thanksgiving will be happening this year!
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline SPAM

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:55:29 AM »

1) Maybe your vent hole at the bottom is open too much and more air is getting into the PBC than it should.

2) Maybe you need to rotate your PBC so that wind isn't blowing into the vent hole. 
3) Counter intuitively, if you aren't letting the coals burn long enough at the beginning they aren't able to settle down to the right temperature once the lid is placed on the PBC. 
4) If you open the lid multiple times during a cook the temperature will increase and cause the charcoal to burn faster.

Maybe it's all of the above or none of the above.  These are just some factors that can effect both cooking temp and length of charcoal burn. 

For your next cook, if you have the patience, take pictures from start to finish.  Include pictures of the vent, the charcoal basket, provide a count of how many times you open the lid during a cook.  Collectively, somebody on here can probably help point out any flaws in the cooking method that is causing you to have to use more charcoal.

I'm not sure...I've tried both lighting options and different lengths of time letting the coals get hot, etc...the next thing I will try is closing the vent down as low as it will go, which appears to be about an eighth of the way open or so. I have had it a quarter open as recommended for every cook. I don't open the lid unless necessary. I will keep you posted if I figure it out. Food still comes out great, just using a bit extra coal. Thanks for the ideas.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline SPAM

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 01:56:48 AM »
Nice looking turkey...so far haven't had to add charcoal on a cook. If you find the problem be sure to let us know...might help some of us.

I will definitely keep ya in the loop if I figure it out...thanks
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »
i think your turkey looks great!!!

if i may offer another differential diagnosis for your coal dilemma.  sometimes with more moisture heavy cooks perhaps you are turning off some coal from the moisture dripping on coal.  i remember when i first started that happened to me a lot as I would wonder why some cooks were taking longer.  for example, i did a boneless leg of lamb that I wet marinated night before.  some time after hanging, my temps in cooker were lowering much sooner than usual.  when I checked the pbc, the drippings had put out a quarter of the basket!! because of that i have steered away from wet marinating my cooks

Offline SPAM

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
i think your turkey looks great!!!

if i may offer another differential diagnosis for your coal dilemma.  sometimes with more moisture heavy cooks perhaps you are turning off some coal from the moisture dripping on coal.  i remember when i first started that happened to me a lot as I would wonder why some cooks were taking longer.  for example, i did a boneless leg of lamb that I wet marinated night before.  some time after hanging, my temps in cooker were lowering much sooner than usual.  when I checked the pbc, the drippings had put out a quarter of the basket!! because of that i have steered away from wet marinating my cooks

Yes, this is definitely happening. It's happened with the turkey and the two briskets I have done. After doing a couple of chickens since the turkey, I think adding hot coals during the cook is helping get the skin nice and crispy on the birds, so I am adding that to the cooking process on all my birds now. It is what it is. I love this cooker. I just went to Home Depot and picked up 20 bags of KB for $106.00 so we are all stocked up and good to go! Thanks for your help. Much appreciated input.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC