Author Topic: First Cook this Weekend Need Advice  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Santiman21

First Cook this Weekend Need Advice
« Reply #-1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:04:43 AM »
Ok, so I am gearing up for my first cook this weekend, I'm still undecided on what I want to cook but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for adding smoke whether it be with chips/chunks or other methods and how best to go about it. Also was wondering if there is a way (if its even necessary) to catch drippings.

Thanks in advance!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: First Cook this Weekend Need Advice
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
You need to know, I am a fairly simple cook. So my recco' for a first PBC cook is chicken.

In my mind it is hard to make a better chicken than the PBC. I would follow Noah's advice for this first cook - no extra wood / chips / etc. The "drippings" fall on the coals and create a "grease fog" which imparts the unique flavor of the PBC (and why many people never feel the need to add wood.)

Try the flavor of the PBC as it was designed, then start to play with modifications. The chicken is easy to do and turns out perfectly.

Whatever you do, please let us know and if you can, include some pictures.

Enjoy!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:56 AM »
Why don't you try your first cook without wood so you can experience the great flavor the PBC was designed for.  Go for halved chickens. Inexpensive and oh so good.

Noahs excellent videos are good to visit before attempting a cook......

Catch Drippings......what makes the PBC unique is that the drippings from the meat fall onto the lit charcoal below giving you a "grease fog" which is that old time Grand-pappy type pit flavor...let em fall onto the coals........

Watch the videos on how to operate the PBC and you will be a happy camper.......... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:10:27 AM »
I was typing out my reply and D-Holly got in first with his excellent advice. Do what The Smoke and The Holly says and you will be super happy with your PBC  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:13 AM »
Great minds...  ;D ;D ;D

Fact is, I follow Noah's videos and Amber's advice and I don't know how many cooks I've done, but I have been happy almost every time. When I wasn't, it was usually some shortcut or goofy thing I did. The PBC just works. Not saying the mods and other changes people make aren't good - just for me, I can happily eat for a very long time just following the videos.  ;) ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Santiman21

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:37 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I've watched all the videos, its what made me want one of these so bad. I will give it a go on your recommendations, just wanted to hear from y'all since experience is a valuable commodity.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 12:24:53 AM »
BTW - If I haven't already welcomed you to the forum - welcome from Minnesota. I look forward to hearing about your experiences and for what it's worth sharing my own.
Member #

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:26:03 AM »
Tri-tip is a easy cook.  Chicken is also a good first cook just make sure you let the coals get up to temp, otherwise the dripping juice cools the fire.
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:51:42 AM »
Start with the lighter fluid method, full bed of coals, and a couple chickens 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 01:09:21 AM »
Start with the lighter fluid method, full bed of coals, and a couple chickens 8)

X2 - you can always get "fancy"... but the PBC was built on a certain way of doing things - it is proven and works. I suggest try that first - play after you get the basics down. Just sayin'....
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 07:51:47 AM »
You need to know, I am a fairly simple cook. So my recco' for a first PBC cook is chicken.

In my mind it is hard to make a better chicken than the PBC. I would follow Noah's advice for this first cook - no extra wood / chips / etc. The "drippings" fall on the coals and create a "grease fog" which imparts the unique flavor of the PBC (and why many people never feel the need to add wood.)

Try the flavor of the PBC as it was designed, then start to play with modifications. The chicken is easy to do and turns out perfectly.

Whatever you do, please let us know and if you can, include some pictures.

Enjoy!

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!  Don't mess with success.  PBC's need extra smoke like Washington needs more politicians  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
I don't think any better advice can be given here!  Good luck and remember we like pictures ....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
I've had mine for just a little while and tried to change a couple of things, but went back to noah's way. Believe me ,Noah and Amber knows best. Just go by their videos and you will not go wrong. I have tried lighting the charcoal both ways and I find the lighter fluid method works best for me....never runs cold and I don't care what anyone says "it does not leave a after taste".
Just take your time any enjoy the good food cooked on the PBC.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »
You have gotten some great advice here.
I have followed this advice and I will caution you -- cooking on the PBC is addictive.

The best part is the results are so good no seems to complain that you are doing it.

Good luck.

Chris
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
Amber and Noah's advice is a "gospel starting point" - if I can abuse that phrase on a Sunday ;D

But, understand that after you become comfortable with this method, and your familiarity with your pit and it's personality - it is o.k. to try other methods.

However..... :-\
I've had mine for just a little while and tried to change a couple of things, but went back to noah's way. Believe me ,Noah and Amber knows best. Just go by their videos and you will not go wrong. I have tried lighting the charcoal both ways and I find the lighter fluid method works best for me....never runs cold and I don't care what anyone says "it does not leave a after taste".
Just take your time any enjoy the good food cooked on the PBC.

Well...I am going to offer admonish you to CARE what others say because you don't want to set yourself up for being perceived as  "that guy" ;) ;D....Just as your color vision and mine will probably test differently - your ability to taste - and mine will also be different.
This is true for all of us.
So, respectfully - remember - LTBBQ does not exist to create hard core absolutes, nor "fan-boy" attitudes. We are all here to expand our knowledge and capabilities, not narrow our viewpoints and perspectives.

I can assure your that Noah and Amber are in agreement that - they teach a fool-proof method to get you started, and be successful. What you do to continue learning about additional methods that may - or may not be your personal, preferred method are entirely within your purview.

Is it necessary to try other methods? Depends on your individual comfort and confidence in your own skills. You may want to try something different sometime....Or, you might simply run out of lighter fluid ;) - and NEED to have another method as a back up. Isn't great that we have the ability to make the choices - and have so many folks to share their ideas...

It is how we learn and grow folks..... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401