Author Topic: MY PBC starts very hot, how about you?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Tinzebra

MY PBC starts very hot, how about you?
« Reply #-1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »
My PBC runs rather hot  at the beginning of a cook.  With a full basket, the temp in the cooker at the beginning of my cooks tends to be 410 - 425 degrees.  I have to cover the air vent to get it close to 300 degrees.  Do other people have similar experiences?

I cooked a 5lbs flat brisket today and the results were good.  A little dryer than I wanted, but it was a lean piece of meat.  I was also trying to keep my tinkering with the air flow to a minimum, so it was running hotter than the 250-260 degrees that I used last time.

Offline jjjonz

Re: MY PBC starts very hot, how about you?
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
It does start hot ....if you put the lighter fluid on a let her burn for about 20 to 25 minutes, depending on your location an outside temp,  then with the rebar in, put the cover on the temp will come down. Adding the meat might bring it down some.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
The very first time I used my PBC  my remote thermometer read 528 deg. Was my thermometer correct I do not now because I have never had anything to compare it too at that temp. Using it with the range oven it was reading about 7 degrees higher than the oven set at 475 deg. So who knows what it was but it was over 475 deg. I keep data on all my cooks and I can tell you that within the first hour after starting up the PBC with Charcoal lighter my PBC  will be somewhere between  385 - 410 deg. I have only used a chimney 2X and 1 of those times was my first start up which I stated above where the temp was over 500 deg. The 2ND time I used a chimney was 2 weeks ago, when I realized I was out of starter fluid. The start temp this time was about 450 deg.  Going back to my notes my PBC temps have usually cooled to about 350 deg. within 40 minutes of setting the lid down on the barrel. I really do not mess with the holes when I am doing a cook that's going to take 4 hours or longer. If I am going to experiment with rebar holes I do it with out anything in the PBC then put sausage, hot dogs, hamburgers on at the end of my test so I have not wasted charcoal.
I have never used a chimney before and I am learning how to keep it lit and determine when it is ready for the basket. I tend to wait to long to make sure that the basket has good hot charcoals so the meat juices and fats do not cool the fire to much. But on serious cooks for an event,  cooking something  for the first time I use charcoal lighter fluid, cause I feel confident with the results I have had up till now.  ;)  ;)  ;)   
CM   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:42:58 PM by Chief Mac »
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »
That's not a problem at all, it is supposed to start hot.
Once you hang the food, the drippings and low food temp will stabilize the PBC.
If you start with low temp you risk dropping the temp even further after hanging the food.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:51 AM »
I personally think the PBC cooks best at higher temps anyways.

As long as you get a good established coal bed don't fret about the temps. Just put the food into the barrel and let it work its magic. The food is done when it's done.

It becomes such a humid environment in that cooker that things drying out is not an issue.

As Bigg stated those drippings help stabilize the temps and create the perfect cooking environment.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
I don't think thermometers should be allowed near the PBC :).....unless they are to check the meat. Noah darn near flied out to California to toss out all my thermos. I was way too freaked out about temps. Now I just light the coals and hang the meat and enjoy my grub...............
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:25:02 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
Don't tell Noah,but I still use my therm...... I am doing my best to quit though.  ;D
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
The first 6 months I used a thermometer on every cook. Now, not so much. I'm One with the PBC. LOL
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer