Author Topic: Temperature control  (Read 5451 times)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Temperature control
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 11:09:59 PM »
Plugging the holes will prevent the PBC from "breathing", you are going to have bad smoke circulating around the meat with no way to exit..............

Not plugging all of them. I hang ribs on one rebar and plug the other 2 when I want to cook low and slow. Never plug all four. That's asking for trouble
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline DonR9

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »
OK. I tried my experiment. Did a partial basket of coals, using fire bricks to partition the basket. Cut up a chicken, put all purpose rub on all the dark meat pieces (my wife only eats white meat and doesn't like rubs of any kind). Put chicken on the grate and used my 1/2 inch bolts to impede airflow from all 4 holes. Note, the holes were not plugged. They were filled with the same impediment to airflow as if the rebar for hanging had been inserted. As you can see from the 4th picture below, smoke was venting from the barrel quite nicely. Initially, the barrel spiked to just under 400 degrees before settling down to just under 300 degrees. The final results were fine, but I think it's easier to KISS it. Cut the chickens in half, season them to taste, hang them and take them out of the barrel when the Thermapen says the thigh meat's at 160 degrees. The partial basket idea seemed to work fine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »
Looks like a very tasty experiment gone right!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
Great looking cook and I am sure glad to see you had a good supper.

The PBC was designed for nice easy cooking...while fun to tweak things a bit, it is always fun to just light,hang,smoke and eat  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
So are you saying the bolts are taking the place of the rebar ? You are just making it easier to check and remove the chicken on the grate . Good idea.....
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline DonR9

Temperature control
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

So are you saying the bolts are taking the place of the rebar ? You are just making it easier to check and remove the chicken on the grate . Good idea.....
That's what I'm saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »
Ah I get it now. Nice experiment!

Another thing you can try is removing the rebar and instead of partially plugging the holes wiyh bolts to simulate rebar, just use a leather glove or something similar to partially cover the intake vent cap.  This will lower the amount of air coming into the PBC and keep temps lower as well.