Author Topic: What I'm I doing wrong  (Read 8629 times)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: What I'm I doing wrong
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »

I usually only use one rebar in place too. That raises the temp about 50F in my experience.

Muebe, Why does it run hotter with one rebar removed?  Is it that the holes allow more airflow?

Yes. The air shutter on the bottom does very little. Adding air openings at the top is what really makes a difference.

Taking the rebar out or cracking the lid open creates a draft that in turn pulls air/oxygen for the coals to to use i.e. burn hotter.
Opening the bottom vent alone doesn't next to nothing.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »
To Boyer513, I'd suggest you experiment and find a sweet spot that works for you. Become one with your PBC, it might take a tries but it will pay off.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
Lets all keep in mind that briquettes have a heat curve. They can get to 900 degrees but this is early on and then it is slowly downhill from there...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »
Don't feel alone. I got my PBC about a month ago and am going through the same issues as you. 3 cooks exactly by the videos with under cooked meat. Also got the 12 minute chimney light instructions and immediately hang meat. It doesn't work like that in real life. Look at how others do it, most seem to wait for hot colas with the top off before loading apparently.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
Seems like everything I cook takes a lot longer than it's suppose to. 

Do you wait until all to coals are nice and red before cooking ?  I have usually waited 20 minutes before doing so. I'm at about 700 feet and have the vent 1/4 open.

Yesterday I did a 5 pound chicken cut in half and cook time was around 3 hours.

Are you using the chimney method to light the coals? Basket completely filled?

I wait until the coal bed is white hot and ashes over before adding chicken. I usually only use one rebar in place too. That raises the temp about 50F in my experience.

When cooking chicken it is important to have an established bed if coals. There is a lot of moisture that will drip down onto the coal bed. This will cool the bed some so if the coal bed is weak that will really lower temps.

Whole chickens usually run me about 90 minutes max.

I only use the lighter fluid method on my PBC.
I do like Mike on the coals only with a chimney,basket full with ashes just forming,both rebars in.PBC's times did NOT work for me,Im at 5000 feet for that matter,but their times and mine,not close.As Bigg says,you must become one with YOUR machine,and environment.Practice will get the right setup for you.

Leaving a rebar out will REALLY up those temps,be careful on that for that reason,I have in the past just barely propped open lid,since I went with coals fully lit,light ash,no more issues.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:59:15 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
I am going throw something into the discussion that we may have lost sight of....we cook to temperature - not time. That does not mean that you can, and should continue to "tune" your methods to save some time. You don't have as much fun when you feel time pressured as well. Plan ahead. It is easier to keep something warm than it is to rush in order to "meet a deadline".
But - regardless of the amount of time involved in your cook - PLEASE check the temperature at the hip/thigh joint, and deep in the thickest part of the breast. You need to know that the chicken is at 165F minimum for food safety reasons. not too much more as no one wants it dry. I have gone to 180 in the breast using the PBC - and the chicken was juicy and tender as you can imagine.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
I have always over-cooked my chicken for those reasons Tim. The PBC is one of the few cookers that lets you overcook your chicken and still have juicy results..... 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
If coals aren't remaining hot for several hours, then something isn't right and changes must be made.

If they are remaining hot, though, we can't all expect the same results under different conditions (elevation, outdoor temp, humidity, wind, quantity of meat, meat temp at start of cook, volume of juices dripping on coals, etc.). There are just too many variables.

Cooking to temp is by far the best approach.
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline boyer513

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »
For sure I was cooking to temp but knew I had issues when my chicken was at 3 hours to get to the correct temp.

Thanks everyone for the insight and tips.
Ohio
Down by the river

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »
Same here, my "under cooked" meats are tested via Maverick 732 and a Thermopen. I jumped in here to say essentially "your mileage may vary" on the PBC timing.

I'm at sea level, full basket KBB, chimney lighting per instructions, but not getting the results expected. My chicken takes 2.5 hours with my technique. I want to reduce the time, but always cook to temp.

Thanks y'all! Great forum here!

Offline viscera912

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
just my 2 cents but ive noticed many of the folk who have posted in the past in regards to potential cook time problems have used the chimney lighting method.  im not saying its a bad way to go but, imho, the lighter fluid method is far superior and somewhat quicker.  i follow bigg's advice on chicken and have never had a bad chicken cook.  chicken drums, wings, quarters, all seem to take approx 30 min to reach about 168 or so and my temps in barrel are about 450's using lump and some kb blue

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
I was wondering about starting methods too and its initial effects on getting the coals/barrel going. I think I'll get some starter fluid and do a couple tests just too see...

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
From what I've read you will get a hotter cook if you use lighter fluid.   I use the chimney method and get a 275-280° temp which I like for most cook's.   I start with 36 red hot briquettes.  If I want a 260ish I start with 34 red hot briquettes.  When cooking chicken I crack the lid to get a hotter temperature the last 30 minutes to crisp the skin.
Personally I wouldn't use lighter fluid but I trust the use of it because I've read enough from people who use it and get great results.   I just don't like hotter temps when cooking.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
just my 2 cents but ive noticed many of the folk who have posted in the past in regards to potential cook time problems have used the chimney lighting method.  im not saying its a bad way to go but, imho, the lighter fluid method is far superior and somewhat quicker.  i follow bigg's advice on chicken and have never had a bad chicken cook.  chicken drums, wings, quarters, all seem to take approx 30 min to reach about 168 or so and my temps in barrel are about 450's using lump and some kb blue

Quicker to light and get up to temp...yes. After all - petroleum based fluids to have a high octane rating ;D "far superior"??? - uh...no, just faster. And if you like using lighter fluid - o.k. I have never needed to use it - and have zero issues with cooking times or temps.

From what I've read you will get a hotter cook if you use lighter fluid.   I use the chimney method and get a 275-280° temp which I like for most cook's.   I start with 36 red hot briquettes.  If I want a 260ish I start with 34 red hot briquettes.  When cooking chicken I crack the lid to get a hotter temperature the last 30 minutes to crisp the skin.
Personally I wouldn't use lighter fluid but I trust the use of it because I've read enough from people who use it and get great results.   I just don't like hotter temps when cooking.

Hotter? No - but, "hotter - faster". In other words - yes, you can expedite the speed at which you get all of the charcoal going. But, if given a little extra time, the non-lighter fluid started charcoal will reach the same temps. Why? Because the same amount of stored energy is contained in the charcoal whether we put lighter fluid on it or not. We add temporary therms/BTUS's when we use lighter fluid, but - that sonly going to benefit us with a "jump start". Having said that - I fill 2 large Weber chimneys, and use newspaper to start them - and within 15 minute, I dump the 'coals in the PBC.( I have never counted charcoal - I just fill 'er up.) I wait another 10 min. or so, and hang chicken. 1-1/2  to 2 hrs. later - we eat.
Are we concerned about "microwave" times - or are we going to try and enjoy the process? ;) :D I am not telling you one is right, and the other is wrong...just that in general - time should not be the priority, temperature should be. Recognizing that - if a cook takes an extra 2 hours...it can cause some stress with the spouse -huh? ???
But, anyone that comes to my house to eat, and I am cooking outdoors knows...We will eat "when it's ready" - and that we should be a little flexible on our timing/expectations. Relax...enjoy the process.. Otherwise - go out for fast food. 8) Because if you are stressing too much  - you will have indigestion anyway ::) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:53 AM »
Hmmm, now you got me thinking. No stress though, you're right, it's about the journey, LOL...

Anyway I'm curious why it takes somebody an hour longer to cook a chicken using the same process and materials, without significant environmental factors. And how to adjust my technique so I understand the effects on my PBC.

So saying the lighting methods don't affect the temperature "hotness" makes me think: why not? If I light all the charcoal with fluid and the coals start simultaneously, wouldn't that be "hotter" than lighting a portion of the coals then having the others light later in the process similar to the minion method?

Thanks for all the input guys. Getting ready for a major cook this Labor Day.