Author Topic: What I'm I doing wrong  (Read 8622 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: What I'm I doing wrong
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 08:40:18 AM »
Ok so here is my two cents...

The majority of times that I see complaints about the coals not being hot enough, longer cook times, problems with temps, etc is when someone is new to the PBC and is using the chimney method to light the coals. There is a learning curve to it. Not that it won't work just as well as the lighter fluid method but to me it is not as simple to get it right.

When using the lighter fluid method I first make sure that the charcoal basket is full and level. Then while the basket is located outside of the PBC I apply a liberal coating of quality fluid like Kingsford. I take the time to make sure I give a complete coating over the coals.

I then move the basket of coals over to the bottom of the PBC right away. I do not give time to let the fluid soak in. That is a mistake. You want the fluid to burn off within a few minutes and light the coals and not soak in.

I light 4 points around the basket and then the center. Then leave the lid off and wait a full 20 minutes.

This 20 minutes is critical because the drum is being heated by the flaming coals while the fluid is burning off. You do not get this happening from using the chimney method therefore you need to leave the coals in there longer to allow the drum to warm up before placing your food in there.

Cold air wants to fall while hot air wants to rise. A cold drum will cause the hot coals to battle with the cold air. This battle will slow things down tremendously and extend cooking times by lowering temps.

Now this is my two cents and back to our regularly scheduled program. :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline boyer513

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
Did some chicken halves this week and it turned out fantastic, used the lighter fluid method and let the coals burn for about 15 minutes and then hung the meat.

I also went out and purchased the Maverick 733 and that thing is fantastic, easy for you tell what is going on inside the PBC.
Ohio
Down by the river

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
Ok so here is my two cents...

The majority of times that I see complaints about the coals not being hot enough, longer cook times, problems with temps, etc is when someone is new to the PBC and is using the chimney method to light the coals. There is a learning curve to it. Not that it won't work just as well as the lighter fluid method but to me it is not as simple to get it right.

When using the lighter fluid method I first make sure that the charcoal basket is full and level. Then while the basket is located outside of the PBC I apply a liberal coating of quality fluid like Kingsford. I take the time to make sure I give a complete coating over the coals.

I then move the basket of coals over to the bottom of the PBC right away. I do not give time to let the fluid soak in. That is a mistake. You want the fluid to burn off within a few minutes and light the coals and not soak in.

I light 4 points around the basket and then the center. Then leave the lid off and wait a full 20 minutes.

This 20 minutes is critical because the drum is being heated by the flaming coals while the fluid is burning off. You do not get this happening from using the chimney method therefore you need to leave the coals in there longer to allow the drum to warm up before placing your food in there.

Cold air wants to fall while hot air wants to rise. A cold drum will cause the hot coals to battle with the cold air. This battle will slow things down tremendously and extend cooking times by lowering temps.

Now this is my two cents and back to our regularly scheduled program. :P

I am with muebe. Noah went through hundreds of trials / prototypes to get this right. So, in my mind, following his instructions (at least while I am learning) just makes sense. I mean NO offense to those who try different things, but sometimes just following the instructions works. I haven't had a bad cook (other than when I made some bad decisions on rubs / spices...  ??? )

I might get some more interesting results with some experimentation, but this works for me, and I really like it.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »
Yesterday I had the phenomenon of a right to left burn in my coal basket in the PBC...strange because we actually no winds to speak of..........same great results though........just make sure you got a good hot coal base and get to hanging.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline amshepar

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
Yesterday I had the phenomenon of a right to left burn in my coal basket in the PBC...strange because we actually no winds to speak of..........same great results though........just make sure you got a good hot coal base and get to hanging.....

I think you mean left to right, depending on which side of the barrel you are on!!!  I've had this happen quite a bit too.  It doesn't effect my cooks whatsover.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »

I think you mean left to right, depending on which side of the barrel you are on!!!  I've had this happen quite a bit too.  It doesn't effect my cooks whatsover.

:D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »
Boyer513...my photos from Sunday's cook.  Sorry no pork pictures....too dark.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
Boyer513...apologies about the disjointed post.  New to site and just learning.  But anyway, you aren't doing anything wrong.  Remember, Noah made a video about "one" chicken.  And God made all chickens different so each will take their own time to get tasty and wonderful.  Just be patient and you will find this is the best cooker ever.

I've been using the Pit Barrel for about 8 months and I've learned a few things that have served me well.  Let me share...First, start your fire exactly like Noah said to.  I use the chimney method and it works perfectly.  Second, get you cook to room temp before you put it on the grill. Nothing sucks the life out of your fire like cold meat.  And thirdly, beside making sure the bottom of the pit is clean, smooth and unobstructed, place a single 1/4 inch ceramic tile under each foot of the coal basket.  I'm at 693.3 and the barometric pressure has been in the low 29's all summer.  With the air being this heavy it gets a little sluggish and the extra room under the coal basket seems to give it some more room to move.  I've been doing this about 4 months now and I'm holding 295-310 for a good 7 hours and completely burning all the coals. Not even little chucks left over unless I cork the holes. Also never have to remove bars or crack the lid.

The disjointed photos show a prime rib after 3.5 hours, followed by 2 hours of chicken wings, and still had enough heat for a 5.5 lb pork shoulder.  Sorry no photos of the pork...to dark and I was tired by then.

Anyway, just my thoughts and they seem to work awesome for me.  Good luck and enjoy this terrific product.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 09:07:43 PM »
Papa looks like you got it tuned in....nice looking cooks. :P
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
Papa looks like you got it tuned in....nice looking cooks. :P
X2 - For sure.... now get some sleep!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline boyer513

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
This was my weekend pork loin and ribs.

Thanks for all the help, the method I used was filling basket and using lighter fluid and letting it go for about 13 minutes.  Using my new maverick 733 temp was running about 315.

Sorry for all the pics.
Ohio
Down by the river

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
And yet everybody says that the PBC is easy. LOL
You have to spend some time with it, there's no way around it.
Practice makes perfect.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »
Papabob, what's that grate you're using for the wings? Looks like something I could use.

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
It's just an 18" pizza grate that I got at Gordon's for 3.99.  Seemed to make sense at the time and it turned out to be pretty good.  Fit right inside the PBC perfectly.  Works great for shrimp too and other small stuff..