Author Topic: Grease fog taste - too much  (Read 8807 times)

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
Grease fog taste - too much
« Reply #-1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:53:45 PM »
I would like to know how to reduce the taste of grease fog/smoke, which is obviously the result of drippings hitting hot coals. I know this is a feature of the PBC, but evidently I'm doing something wrong, because the resulting flavor is just too strong.

This my cook went today:

2 racks of St. Louis pork ribs, split into 4 total pieces (on 4 hooks)
3 chicken leg quarters (on 3 hooks)

Charcoal: Full basket
Wood chips: About 6 medium/small ones placed low throughout unlit coals.
Lighting process:
  • Removed 40 coals from charcoal basket
  • Started them in charcoal chimney
  • Poured them into charcoal basket after top coals were 75% ashed over
  • Distributed them evenly over top of unlit coals
  • Waited 10 minutes with lid off PBC
  • Hung ribs
  • Placed temp probe in one rebar hole

Time 0:45 - 261 deg
Time 1:00 - 251 deg: Hung chicken
Time 1:15 - 257 deg
Time 1:45 - 232 deg

Time 3:00 - 218 deg
Didn't like the temp drop, so I opened the bottom vent a little
Original factory setting was 1/4 open (I'm at 35 feet above sea level)
I opened it to about 3/8 (according to illustrations in PBC instructions).

Time 3:30 - 205 deg
Obviously, the new wider vent opening didn't raise inside temp
Cracked the lid 1/2" on one side with a wood chunk

Time 4:00 - 282 deg
Time 4:30 - 237 deg: Chicken was 170 deg internal, so I pulled it

Time 4:45 - 262 deg, ribs were sauced
Time 5:20 - 245 deg, ribs pulled
Before replacing lid, flame erupted in coals, possibly due to grease burning off.

So, as you can see, I had a temp drop three hours in, and had to revive it by cracking the lid. Also, the PBC was rolling smoke pretty good the final hour. I thought it was the wood chunks finally getting ignited, but in retrospect, it was likely fog/smoke from the drippings.

Chicken cooked a total of 3hrs 30min
Ribs cooked 5hrs 20min
All meat had a grease smoke flavor that was just too strong.

• What am I doing wrong, to cause that temp drop and require cracking the lid?
  • Are these cook times too long, compared to what you're able to do in your PBC?
  • If so, do you think this long cook time is what's causing the excessive grease fog/smoke taste, or should I add a water pan to catch drippings?

Your advice will be appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:15:52 AM by Bart57266 »
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Grease fog taste - too much
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:43:45 AM »
I am stumped on this one. You could try the cooking grate in place with a smaller pan in it to cut down on the drippins falling to the coals..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:01:37 AM »
Bart, I do not have a PBC so no expert help here but I used gas fired water smokers for about 20 years, they had a gas burner, and lava rock pan over. I found I got the best smoke from wrapping in foil and poking a couple holes in I got the best smoke and slower burn time. I used from chips to hunks this way. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 02:28:07 AM »
My problem was not getting my coals fully lit before pouring them into the pan of coals,and then getting the pan fulling lit before applying lid.Since then,no temp problems pretty much,before mine ran just like yours.Also,sometimes,I will still very slightly prop open lid,dont know why i have to,but a little tweeking you will dial it in.Im at 5000 feet.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
Bart, it seems to me that you did everything correctly. But your description just sounds like the coals weren't hot enough to sustain temp while getting the juices/grease dripped on them. Two thoughts...
The coals needed longer to get going good before hanging meat, and/or
You may have a bag of charcoal that had acquired moisture. How are you storing your coals? Could humidity be an issue?
This is a fuel problem for sure. 

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »
I think the coals are fully lit. They're mostly ashed over, red hot, and distributed evenly across the top of the unlit coals in the basket. After 10 minutes with the lid off, the top layer of coals in the basket looks 90% ashed. Compared to what others have posted, it almost seems as if I'm getting them too hot, but obviously something is still out of balance here.

Regarding my charcoal absorbing moisture, it's a possibility. I've never considered it, because it performs great when grilling in a Weber kettle. It is stored outside, in a deck box, in the original bag. The bag seems crisp (not damp in any way), and the top is rolled tight. I do live in an extremely humid climate, though: Central Florida.

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline Pappymn

Grease fog taste - too much
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »

I think the coals are fully lit. They're mostly ashed over, red hot, and distributed evenly across the top of the unlit coals in the basket. After 10 minutes with the lid off, the top layer of coals in the basket looks 90% ashed. Compared to what others have posted, it almost seems as if I'm getting them too hot, but obviously something is still out of balance here.

Regarding my charcoal absorbing moisture, it's a possibility. I've never considered it, because it performs great when grilling in a Weber kettle. It is stored outside, in a deck box, in the original bag. The bag seems crisp (not damp in any way), and the top is rolled tight. I do live in an extremely humid climate, though: Central Florida.

I'd get a 5 gallon bucket with a gasket seal for storage. Works for me
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »
That's easy. I'll definitely do that each time I open a new bag. I wonder if the un-opened bags need to be stored this way, as well?

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
It's very possible it was that way before you purchased it.

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »
If it was a problem with moisture in the charcoal, would the charcoal heat up real nice when cracking the lid?

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »
I normally get my charcoal on the big three days:  Memorial, July 4th and Labor day. I usually load myself and I make a point to get them from the middle of the pallet. This way I know those bags have never been exposed to moisture................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Moisture huh? Ive never made any issue to protect against it,so Ive been letting them get moist by sitting on back porch in bag after opening and they just dont dry out right going forward?? Like said above,I never noticed any issue in open cookers,I never knew it made much difference?

Tell me more guys about moisture!

There is no limit within reason how hot you can get the PBC by cracking the lid various heights,Id like mine to have a valve/vent on lid for just that reason.Sounds like something our experts with out of box cooking/ mechanical skills like Tommy or Bigg ER needs to perfect for us.

I know the PBC philosophy is KISS,but a vent option perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:53:10 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 01:17:38 PM »
I have on rare occasions gotten a clunker bag of Kingsford. By clunker I mean slow to light,  just never gets to peak temps and fades fast. I have not had a bad bag since I've been using the PBC or PK grill but I would assume that any grill being used with the lid on would be affected more.

I think these clunker bags have more moisture than normal. The pallet could have been rained on, or exposed to high humidity. Charcoal is like a sponge when it comes to moisture. It can get rather humid at times where I live, Illinois.
But I've only taken a few precautions and not had any issues since doing this.
When it's humid, garage floors being cooler than the air, get damp, so if you store bags on floor make sure that you have a moisture barrier under the charcoal. A sheet of styrofoam works great but a sheet of plastic works good too. Most of my charcoal and wood pellets are up in the loft of my garage where it's much drier. Containers with lids such as buckets work well, as do Rubbermaid barrels etc.
Hope this helps!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
Charcoal already contains a certain amount of moisture in it otherwise it would not hold together. It will absorb more moisture. In a cooker like the PBC more moisture can have an effect on the cooking process. Also ambient humidity could also be a factor.

I would like to hear Noah or Amber's opinion on this...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
When I meant moisture, I should have said the bags getting wet. I had a bag of KBB not burn worth a darn and I noticed the water ring on the one section of the bag....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven