Author Topic: Chicken and Ribs using 3/4 of the coal basket  (Read 4256 times)

Offline DonR9

Re: Chicken and Ribs using 3/4 of the coal basket
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Hello All,
Forgive my ignorance, but I have seen the posts about using 1/2 or 3/4 basket and they all seem to block a section of the basket.
Would using the whole basket just filled less work the same, or is the stacking of the briquettes is what would be missing?

Thank you
That's a good question. My sense is spreading 1/2 the coals out over the grate isn't as efficient as stacking the same number of coals in a fire-brick-partitioned grate. It may be that I simply have to stop worrying about trying to economize on charcoal; just fill the basket every time, even if it's for only a short cook. I'll try the partitioned basket and see what happens
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Chicken and Ribs using 3/4 of the coal basket
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
  Judging from what you and others say, less than a full basket can lead to successful cooks.

Some have said I'm a few briquettes shy of a full basket of coals.

just sayin'...

Man, you've got some good ears to hear me way up here...  ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #