Author Topic: Adding Fuel  (Read 2017 times)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
Adding Fuel
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
This past weekend I cooked up a 9.7lbs pork butt.  It took about 8.5 hrs to get it where I like it.  I wrapped it and put it in a small cooler to rest.  While it rest I wanted to cook some corn and potatoes, but the barrel was running low.  I scrapped what was left into a small pile and added about 12 unlit coals to it.  Then left the lid off for a few minutes before adding the corn and potatoes.  I ended up pulling the bars and cracking the lid, to keep it at 225.  This was my first time adding charcoal, I think next time I will add it sooner.  What has been everyone else's experience?
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Adding Fuel
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:17 PM »
Gosh - have not had this experience - so I will be very interested to hear about others' experiences... Thanks for raising the question.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »
Never had to add (yet)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »
I just made a 10lb pork butt on the PBC after 6 hours I wrapped it and while the meat was off the grate, I added about a chimney's worth more coals to the basket. I put the coals on right after I took the pork off and left the lid off.  I wrapped the pork then put it on the grate and then kept the rebar out but the lid back on. 

In total the lid was off for about 10 minutes.  I didn't need the charcoal right away but I wanted it to catch and get hot because I was going to hang some chicken while the pork was resting.  I also wanted to add them early and when nothing could drip on them until they were fully lit and the chicken was on. I left the wrapped pork on the pit for another hour or so until I hit 201F,  I start checking the the looseness of bone starting at 195.  Chicken took 90 minutes to cook when the pork was done.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
No matter what kind of charcoal/wood smoker I use...after wrapping in foil and if my charcoal is spent or if I get tired of feeding sticks.....I just move it to the oven inside. After foiling all ya need is heat anyhows...might as well save on charcoal and wood..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:51:11 AM »
No matter what kind of charcoal/wood smoker I use...after wrapping in foil and if my charcoal is spent or if I get tired of feeding sticks.....I just move it to the oven inside. After foiling all ya need is heat anyhows...might as well save on charcoal and wood..............

I am with The Smoke...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »
Just an idea.  Whenever I want to add more coals to my Weber, I will light them, separately, in a chimney, about 15 - 20 minutes before I need them. Then I can add the hot coals to the pit and never skip a beat.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »

I am with The Smoke...

I do too, however I needed the PBC for some chicken to finish off my day long cook for Fantasy Football draft, and I didn't want to have to snuff it out just to restart it 30 minutes later.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
I had more cooking to do also.  I might try lighting some of it before adding next time. I don't typically run the barrel for 10hrs, but it does happen from time to time. 
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite