Author Topic: Cornell chicken  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Durham Smoker

Cornell chicken
« Reply #-1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
I am going to try Cornell chicken this weekend.  Any advice?  I have a garden of fresh herbs.  Should I use fresh or just go with what the recipe calls for which is dried?

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Cornell chicken
« on: September 18, 2015, 01:45:29 AM »
That was a new one on me, Cornell chicken. I looked it up and most all the recipes I found the seasoning was, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. What is your recipe? If it were me I would use fresh when available. Be sure and post a pic of your chicken. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
I have seen articles on this and have never tried it. Will be curious as to how it turns out.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
I looked up the recipe and it didn't call for herbs..if your gonna grill it, I would go easy on the fresh herbs because they tend to burn on a long cook. I like the vinegar based sauce tho..I would mix it up and put in a spray bottle and spray it a lot, like I do for wangs. The vinegar will tenderize the meat, gonna have to try it. thanks for sharing this recipe..I'm thinking spatchcoked chicken on the Weber.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »
Here is a recipe that I got from Steve Raichlen's book:

1  egg
1  cup extra virgin olive oil
1  cup fresh lemon juice
1  cup tarragon vinegar or red wine vinegar
3  Tbl. kosher or sea salt
3  Tbl. chopped fresh tarragon or rosemary
3  cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Spatchcock chicken. Mix ingredients in blender, place chicken in baking dish, pour one-half of marinate over chicken, and put in refrigerator for 4 to 12 hours.  Grill on indirect heat basting with the marinate as you cook.

I have not tried this recipe so cannot comment.  Would like to hear comments from others who have tried it.

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »
I'm seeing one of the keys to this is to baste every few minutes with the sauce.  I'm sure my best bet is to use my Kettle and baby sit it until its perfect.  That will never happen with my wife and kids needing my help.

I am going to marinate it in the Cornell sauce, chunk it in the PBC and let her go.  I'll hit it once more with the sauce  a few minutes before I pull.  May not be perfect but the reason I got the PBC is so I can eat well without the wife complaining about me spending too much time outside leaving her with kid duty.

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
Yes, I have the same issue if having to baste regularly.  And they say that if your lookin, your not cookin.  On the other hand, I think regular basting can be good.

Offline Pappymn

Cornell chicken
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »
I have not heard of this before. Recipe sounds like a winner. Not sure about the egg though
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »
Here is a link to the original recipe developed by the late Robert C. Baker, Professor of Poultry Science and Food Science.
Don

http://cornell-classic.univcomm.cornell.edu/search/?id=132&q=&tab=facts
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline amshepar

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
My advice:  Always use fresh herbs if possible.  They provide a much richer flavor than the dried herbs.  I cooked a whole turkey on the PBC using the herbs found in Herbs de Provence mix plus salt and pepper.  I chopped the herbs up and mixed them, the salt and pepper, and some olive oil to make a paste.  It was one of the best things I've ever cooked on the PBC. 

If you have ever had the rotisserie chicken from La Madeleine it's a similar flavor profile.

Good luck on your cook.  Looking forward to pics.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »
My advice:  Always use fresh herbs if possible.  They provide a much richer flavor than the dried herbs.  I cooked a whole turkey on the PBC using the herbs found in Herbs de Provence mix plus salt and pepper.  I chopped the herbs up and mixed them, the salt and pepper, and some olive oil to make a paste.  It was one of the best things I've ever cooked on the PBC. 

If you have ever had the rotisserie chicken from La Madeleine it's a similar flavor profile.

Good luck on your cook.  Looking forward to pics.
X2,fresh is always our preferences here at Spuds central.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »
Here is some more history on Cornell chicken that I found in Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA.  I thought some may like to read it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
I am postponing my Cornell chicken attempt.  Decided to make some PBC pulled chicken with a Lexington, North Carolina style sauce.

Chicken was really good.  Buttery moist.  since i was going to use the dirty rag method I let the chicken rest in a dutch oven for 30 minutes prior to pulling.  I knew this would ruin the awesome skin but I wasn't planning on using the skin in my meat.  next time I will blend some of the crispy skin into the pulled meat. Never had skin this great without even trying.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:46:39 PM by Durham Smoker »