Author Topic: 3 months in...  (Read 3818 times)

Offline thunndarr

3 months in...
« Reply #-1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »
Hey, just an update. I got the PBC way back in July and sadly my SRG is gathering dust. And I had a friend visiting from Colorado a couple weeks ago that introduced me to the food heaven of pulled pork, so we made some of that. Wow. Unbelievable.

The conversation was pretty funny, I said to him, "What do you feel like eating this weekend? Ribs?" His response, "I actually don't prefer ribs these days." After I came to, I asked him to explain a little further, and we got onto the topic of pulled pork. Being from North Dakota, I don't think I've ever had a decent pulled pork in my life, but I figured, let's give it a whirl.

We ended up with two 3.5 pound bone-in pork shoulders, dry brined overnight and then coated with Memphis Dust. Placed into PBC at about 4 o'clock. Around 6 or so the natives were getting hungry, so I pulled a rebar out to speed things along. Around 7, the internal temp was only about 180, but everyone was too hungry to wait. So, we took them out, let them rest for about ten minutes, and pulled it. It was a little too tough, and we all knew it was going to be, but the bark and the flavor were amazing. We topped it with some SC mustard BBQ sauce. Absolute heaven.

Also, the absolute best chicken and ribs I've ever had in my life have been in the last three months as a result of the PBC. Big thanks to this forum for sharing information and results of this amazing device, as well as to the guys who came up with it.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: 3 months in...
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
Glad you enjoy your PBC :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »
 I love ribs, chicken and pulled pork....   Glad your learning on that PBC and enjoying it so much...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:07 PM »
Happy that you are lovin' you PBC! It is a joy to use for me...

I thnk the best magic is that when believe we see everything going on, so we base our expectations on a presumed outcome....then the magician produces something that is remarkable and beyond what we imagined....

THAT... is what the PBC does. Every time.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »

I thnk the best magic is that when believe we see everything going on, so we base our expectations on a presumed outcome....then the magician produces something that is remarkable and beyond what we imagined....

Good thing you like it, it is probably too heavy to throw off your back deck (you would have to be around awhile to understand).
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
Glad to hear your enjoying your PBC!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

Good thing you like it, it is probably too heavy to throw off your back deck (you would have to be around awhile to understand).

What does it take to live that down...? I guess it will live in your memory as long as the A&M game vs Alabama in 2012?  ( TAMU 29 - Alabama 24 ).... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »

What does it take to live that down...? I guess it will live in your memory as long as the A&M game vs Alabama in 2012?  ( TAMU 29 - Alabama 24 ).... :D :D :D

I'm guessing there are enough of us here to ensure you NEVER live it down... as Jack would say... "just sayin'.." :)

BTW - good for you thunndarr on your PBC - I love mine as well! Look forward to reading and seeing more of your cooks.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
I've had mine about four months now and as of right now it is the best smoker I have owned in my 72 years. Just wait until you have time to cook a butt to about 205 degrees,wrap in a cooler and rest for a couple of hrs.....won't be tough then. By the way I sold my SRG a couple of weeks ago. lol
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline thunndarr

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »
I've had mine about four months now and as of right now it is the best smoker I have owned in my 72 years. Just wait until you have time to cook a butt to about 205 degrees,wrap in a cooler and rest for a couple of hrs.....won't be tough then. By the way I sold my SRG a couple of weeks ago. lol

My SRG is gathering dust right now, sadly. In other news, ribs are dry brining as we speak, and if the weather cooperates, two more pork butts is the plan for tomorrow.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »

I had to go back and look that one up.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »

I had to go back and look that one up.

Bet you don't have to look up the Ole Miss vs Alabama score from this season..... ;) ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:59:42 AM »

I don't know, that Jenn-Air was pretty heavy.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »
That story must have been told before I came along.  I'll bet y'all will have fun sharing it with us next weekend at the Cookout with Bremer where we are auctioning off a brand new PBC.

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline thunndarr

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
The pulled pork I said I was going to do last weekend. Dry brined overnight, Memphis dust, then 6 hours in the PBC.

Pulled at IT of around 200, rested, and then forgot to take a picture of the meat after we'd pulled it. Those bones pulled out clean and was absolutely the best pulled pork I've ever had.

I do need to work at being more patient and getting some decent pics taken, but I was so hungry I couldn't be bothered. I guess the solution is to BBQ more.