Author Topic: Country Boy brand pellets  (Read 7239 times)

Offline KyNola

Re: Country Boy brand pellets
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
I have been told ( no idea as to the accuracy of this) that the only difference in "food grade" vs pellet stove fuel pellets is that food grade pellets have no fillers or additives in them.
I'm a little late on this discussion but I must respectfully disagree with your statement Tee.  The machines that are used to compress the sawdust to make food grade pellets also need to be using food grade lubricants in and on their machines.  The stove fuel pellets are compressed with machines that may be using petroleum based lubricants.  Also, the stove fuel pellets that are manufactured by folks such as a hardwood flooring company using their byproduct may very well contain varnish, lacquer or dyes.

Hornzbee, if I were you I would do some research before I would be purchasing pellets from a hardwood flooring company to be certain they are doing all the right things.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 12:35:54 PM »
Deadwood BioFuels said the same, clean and safe 100% food grade.....My MAK hated the pellets and they had major ash build up. DWBF is out of business i guess. I have 60lbs that work good in my AMZNPS
I also had problems with Deadwood Pellets.
They sent me these for my testing:

And this is what happened after a three hour cook.

That being said, I will still try any new brand of pellets for pellets grills/smokers.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
I have been told ( no idea as to the accuracy of this) that the only difference in "food grade" vs pellet stove fuel pellets is that food grade pellets have no fillers or additives in them.

Hornzbee, if I were you I would do some research before I would be purchasing pellets from a hardwood flooring company to be certain they are doing all the right things.

Oh, dont worry I wont buy any quantity at all.  How does one really know?  Is there a lab somewhere that could test/analyze the composition of pellets?
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline KyNola

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
They are located in Gamaliel KY.  As of the 2000 census the population was 439.  Southern Kentucky Hardwoods is a small business in a very small community in Kentucky.  I live in Western Kentucky surrounded by communities of that size.  All you have to do is pick up the phone and ask 'em.  111 Holland Street Gamaliel KY 42140 Telephone number is 270-457-3618.

Until you verify how they are manufactured I would advise you purchase none.  However it's your life, your food and your money.

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
What kind of questions should I ask?  The binder type? Lubrications? What else?
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline KyNola

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
Where is the sawdust coming from, meaning is it coming from where they initially are sawing the logs prior to any type of stain, varnish, etc being applied or is it coming from where they are sawing it to floorboard length afterward or both?  Some hardwood flooring comes prestained and varnished before it is shipped to the contractor.  Some is not.  Also, ask if they are manufacturing the pellets on site or are they shippng their sawdust to someone else to make the pellets for them.  If they are shipping it elsewhere ask them if they will tell you to whom they are shipping and where they are located.  One final question, is it a 100% flavor wood pellet or is it a blend such as a 70% base wood and 30% flavor wood.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I just received delivery of Country Boy's Hickory Pellets from Amazon.com for $19.95 per 40 pound bag including shipping.

I have read some good reviews in a couple forums so I decided to give them a try.

Rather than ruin a brisket or a pork shoulder I will be smoking chicken thighs tomorrow using the Country Boy's.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline PoolSmart

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I just received delivery of Country Boy's Hickory Pellets from Amazon.com for $19.95 per 40 pound bag including shipping.

I have read some good reviews in a couple forums so I decided to give them a try.

Rather than ruin a brisket or a pork shoulder I will be smoking chicken thighs tomorrow using the Country Boy's.

Hello. Have you had a chance to use the County boy pellets. I had some delivered.  After a long butt smoke I had a burn pot full of ashes similar to you above pic, but not quite as bad.  That was with the Savannah Stoker on low fan speed through the night.  On high speed it seems much better though.  Smoke and flavor seems nice though.  Just curious what you found.

Rick
Dream Werks 1600ss w/ Savannah Stoker II
Weber Genesis E-330
Maverick 732

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Just interject... ;D

We have some pellet dealers that are forum sponsors. I know that at least one of them ( www.cookinpellets.com ) Is running a special - including shipping for LTBBQ forum members.

Please give them a look. Fine quality pellets!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline PoolSmart

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »
I've tried a 20 lb sample of Cookinpellets and liked them. Great smoke and flavor.  Long smoke on low speed fan with Cookinpellets was fine with minimal ash build up.  My next purchase of pellets will probably be an order from cookinpellets.com.
I Recently received an order of country boy brand and curious of others results. 
Dream Werks 1600ss w/ Savannah Stoker II
Weber Genesis E-330
Maverick 732