Author Topic: Country Boy brand pellets  (Read 7236 times)

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
Country Boy brand pellets
« Reply #-1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
Called a local grill dealer (the carry Traeger) today and they told me of this new brand they now carry.  Evidently made by Southern Kentucky Hardwoods.  They are a fuel pellet manufacturer and are branching out into the food grade pellet market.  I was told they currently just make oak but will soon be making a few other types.  Anyone know anything about them? 
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Country Boy brand pellets
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »

Are they food grade?  That is a oak flooring company..

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I have been told ( no idea as to the accuracy of this) that the only difference in "food grade" vs pellet stove fuel pellets is that food grade pellets have no fillers or additives in them.

If that is true, as long as the facility making them is a credible outfit - clean sawdust is all they would have in their pellets.

So - when I buy cord wood, and splits - I get no guarantee that the wood is chemical free....who knows where the trees were harvested from and what conditions the trees were subjected to......

Now - what's a mother to do? :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
I have been told ( no idea as to the accuracy of this) that the only difference in "food grade" vs pellet stove fuel pellets is that food grade pellets have no fillers or additives in them.

I think the difference is the type of wood used.  barbecue pellets are made of hardwood.  Heating pellets can be made of hard or soft woods, including woods like cedar or pine that would impart a bad taste on your food. 

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »
There are no universal definitions of "food grade" or "cooking pellets" or anything else pellet-wise.  Manufacturers of pellets are on their own with regard to what they will use for a pellet intended for use in a pellet cooker.  The four things you certainly don't want in a "cooking" pellet are finishes (varnish, paint, etc.), adhesives (glue and binders), preservatives (oils, insecticides), and resinous softwoods (pine, fir).  Heating pellets just need to burn and make heat.  Their gasses are vented out and don't wind up in anyone's food.

With the increasing popularity of pellet cookery will come, eventually, government regulation and inspection of the pellet manufacturing business.  I won't make any political comments on that.

Today, the best way to assure oneself of good quality and pure ingredients is to purchase pellets from an established manufacturing organization with a large committment to pellet cookery.  I don't pretend to know them all but right now I buy with confidence from Cookingpellets.com, Barbequer's Delight, Bear Mountain, Fast Eddy, Lumberjack and BBQ Select.  I have researched their methods and practices (in a "prior life") and have some level of confidence that they will produce a quality product.  Other pellet users may chime in with their favorites.

Traeger dealers are dropping out of the network very quickly as that company has moved to direct sales and circumvention of the dealer.  Most didn't know much about pellet cooking, anyway.  Thus, dealers may turn to cheap sources of supply of a product they don't know much about in the first place.

Be careful.  Caveat Emptor

Hub
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:36:21 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »

Well said, Hub!

Nobody here (I hope) would cook dinner for their family over a construction site burn pile..

As long as the machinery cranking out the (let's call them) 'BBQ' pellets isn't contaminated with crud/residue from the 'heating' pellets, they should be safe to use.

FWIW, Cookinpellet and BBQr's Delight are my go to pellets, as they are readily available for a fair price.
I do have some 100% Hickory Lumberjack pellets that will make a debut this weekend in our new pit.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

Well said, Hub!

Nobody here (I hope) would cook dinner for their family over a construction site burn pile..

As long as the machinery cranking out the (let's call them) 'BBQ' pellets isn't contaminated with crud/residue from the 'heating' pellets, they should be safe to use.

FWIW, Cookinpellet and BBQr's Delight are my go to pellets, as they are readily available for a fair price.
I do have some 100% Hickory Lumberjack pellets that will make a debut this weekend in our new pit.

I use lumberjack as they are made a couple hours from my house, and can get them at a good price. Did I miss a new pit? Or are you holding out on us?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

It will debut this weekend for it's initial seasoning run and mega biscuit test.   ;)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

It will debut this weekend for it's initial seasoning run and mega biscuit test.   ;)

Awesome. Love new toys.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
Well I can only say what the dealer stated and that they believe that Southern Kentucky fuel pellets are the cleanest they have ever seen so they have high hopes for their new food pellets.  They do also carry BBQ delight which they sell near retail $17/20lbs.  These new pellets (just oak atm) are sold in 40lb bags for $25.  That makes me think that in bulk this brand may even be less expensive than BBQ Delight, in bulk.  I'll be trying it sometime in the near future and will report my findings.
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
Deadwood BioFuels said the same, clean and safe 100% food grade.....My MAK hated the pellets and they had major ash build up. DWBF is out of business i guess. I have 60lbs that work good in my AMZNPS
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
Well it probably wont be my last $25 experiment!  Why exactly did your MAK hate those pellets?
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

I had the same problem with the DWBF pellets.   I still have a 8 pound container floating around up in the attic.
Something about their makeup produced an insane amount of ash.   Plugged my firepot doing a rib cook.

For 25 bucks, it's worth a shot.    And like Rick said, you can always get an AMZNPS to burn the bum pellets for supplemental smoke.

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »

I had the same problem with the DWBF pellets.   I still have a 8 pound container floating around up in the attic.
Something about their makeup produced an insane amount of ash.   Plugged my firepot doing a rib cook.

For 25 bucks, it's worth a shot.    And like Rick said, you can always get an AMZNPS to burn the bum pellets for supplemental smoke.

Is that container your looking for the one you brought up here Squirt? It made a mess in the Dragon Lady as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »

Is that container your looking for the one you brought up here Squirt? It made a mess in the Dragon Lady as well.

That was another one I had.    They sent me 3 eight pound containers to try out.