Author Topic: Hikerman...Re: bent old smoky  (Read 57665 times)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Hikerman...Re: bent old smoky
« Reply #-1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »
 I saw your post about your OS falling in the wind. and bending out of shape. I have a Brinkman smoke and grill and they are bent out of shape on purpose. Can't smoke or build heat because of the stupid design. Here is how I fixed it. I got a gasket that goes on the door of a woodstove at the hardware store. Got some high temp gasket glue. I think it's called RV high temp. It's red. Glued and clamped the gasket around the lid and now no leakage of smoke or heat loss.

Don't use the glue that comes with the gasket, use the RV one. It holds better. Hope this helps.

Fred
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline hikerman

Re: Hikerman...Re: bent old smoky
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Fred, thank you very much for your advice! I just had it in my mind that it had to be bent back into a perfectly round circle again. But the thinness of the metal would not allow reshaping. I will give this a shot.  Sounds like a good fix!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
Good to know information, thanks for posting this.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
Thanks, will send on to my younger son.   His wife bought him one of those El Cheapo Brinkmanns and he isn't the happiest camper with it, BUT has to use it until his wife thinks he was used it all up!   LOL    Anyway, will tell him of your fix.   Those things are very difficult to keep up to temp, much less get the right amount of smoke, IMHO.   Tried two of them--gave up.   Both were cast offs from others.   Now I know why they got rid of them! 

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
Do a search for for...... Brinkman smoker mods-Comcast.
The guys an engineer and he shows you how, for about $20-$30 to turn it into a Weber like grill. I followed his advice and pictures and can set mine at any temp I want for hours on end. Turned a $50 piece of junk into something great.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »
Thats real good info,but a question,would Old Smokey do all that,and cheaper than modifying a brinkman?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Mr. Michael

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Thats real good info,but a question,would Old Smokey do all that,and cheaper than modifying a brinkman?

Yes. I think the author of that article is an engineer (he is), and he enjoys tinkering. Same reason I built a radio out of a cooler, rather than buy a pre-fab "block-rocker" for our annual float trip. ;D
Low and Slow, that's the Tempo!

- The Beastie Boys

Weber Genesis 310
Weber Kettle 22.5
Kenmore propane smoker
Pit Barrel Cooker