Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub!

BASIC Chuck Roast for Sandwiches

(1/3) > >>

Hub:
Here's another one of my BASIC approaches you can learn from and then customize to your taste.  Chuck roast is overlooked, sometimes, as a great outdoor cooking target  ;D

I’m a huge fan of the humble Chuck Roast.  It is one of the least expensive beef cuts and is readily available at most meat markets and grocery store meat counters.  It’s tougher than a boot but with proper cooking will come out both tender and juicy with lots and lots of beefy flavor!  Here’s my suggested BASIC approach to cooking one.  Try it, then make your own adaptations and changes to get it just the way you want it.

Ingredients:

5-10 lb. Chuck Roast
5 large cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 12 oz. can of Beer (cheap stuff works fine)
Foil – large, heavy duty type

Preparation:

Preheat your cooker to a low, smoky setting – 180 to 200 at will do it.  Remove packaging from chuck and rinse exterior.  Apply thin to very moderate coat of Montreal Steak Seasoning. 

Cooking:

Place chuck in cooker for two hours.  Just let it absorb smokiness.  It won’t cook much at the low setting, but magic is happening anyway!

After two hours, remove the meat from cooker and double-wrap in heavy foil (see notes 3 & 4 below).  The double wrap is a precaution – sometimes the foil will snag and you don’t want to lose any juices.  With foil all around the meat but not yet closed up, scatter the garlic bits all over the top of the meat.  Pour in one half of the beer.  Do as you see fit with the other half.  Close foil over the meat, not sealing too tightly.  Return to cooker and increase temperature to 300.

Cook at 300 for 3 hours.  Loosen foil and measure meat internal temperature at thickest point.  You’re seeking 200-205 degrees.  If lower, re-seal foil and continue cooking/checking in 30 minute increments until target IT is reached. 

Once meat is 200-205, remove from cooker and allow to rest for one hour.  Do not loosen foil.

Serving:

After rest period, open foil (being careful not to spill juices) and, using long tongs (it’ll still be mighty hot!) remove any bone fragments and large chunks of un-melted fat or gristle (discard).  Move meat chunks to a large bowl or roaster bottom and shred using large serving forks (or meat rake, bear claws, etc.).  Carefully pour juices from the foil back over the shredded meat until all of it is well moistened. 

Notes and Variations:

1. Pre-chopped, minced garlic can be used (about 2 Tbsp) but is often weaker than fresh cloves.
2. Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper can be substituted for the Montreal Steak Seasoning – add a few dashes of powdered garlic and powdered onion to get a similar effect.
3. Finish the cook (the part after the first two hours of smoking) in the oven if you wish – you’re just braising and this saves on pellets.
4. You can use a disposable aluminum pan covered with foil for the second part of the cook for added convenience and easier handling.  Don’t use it for the first two hours of smoking, though.
5. I don’t recommend saucing this beef.  It’ll have a nice meat/smoke/garlic/pepper flavor that is fantastic without sauce.  Serve any sauce on the side.   

Hub

sliding_billy:
Great post.  Thanks for sharing.

Smokin Don:
Great post Hub, I'll try your method the next time I do a chuck!!! TFS! Don

HighOnSmoke:
Thanks for posting Hub! Bookmarked!

Pam Gould:
I love chuckies..and on the grill sounds wonderful..have  to try it that way. Most Excellent.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version