Author Topic: Cold Smoking Prior to Sous-Vide Cooking - What are the risks?  (Read 72099 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Cold Smoking Prior to Sous-Vide Cooking - What are the risks?
« Reply #-1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
Preface - The Purpose of this Discussion: While neither I nor anyone here are health experts, we owe it to ourselves to stay safe when cooking and posting to this forum. This discussion is the result of months of research, not only by me but teesquare as well. This was not done haphazardly!

There is one particular condition NOT covered by the current sous-vide guides that I've seen: Cold-smoking meat prior to sous-vide cooking.

There may be a sous-vide guide that includes this info, but we haven't seen it and felt, that since we do a lot of smoking around here, this info was needed.

While doing some research on this subject, I took a practice test of the ServSafe certification test. Ironically, one of the questions that came up was about sou-vide.

Here's a screen shot (Click to enlarge):

Don't Fear Sous-Vide!!!
Please understand, while there is some legitimate concern, this cooking method has been well researched. As long as you adhere to recommended time/temp tables, you can be assured that you are cooking safely!

YOU are responsible for your own health and safety, as well as those you cook for. PLEASE BE SAFE - STICK TO THE MINIMUM TEMPERATURE AND TIME RECOMMENDATIONS!!!

There are a few really good guides out there. This one is considered, by many, to be one of the best: Douglas Baldwin's Sous-Vide Guide

And now, on to our topic.

What prompted me to start looking into this was two different forum members who PM'ed me a few months back asking my opinion on cold-smoking some burgers, then vac-sealing them prior to cooking.

A Few Indisputable Facts:

1) Ground meat, especially pre-packaged, requires some extra precaution, NO MATTER WHAT THE COOKING METHOD.

2) Cold-smoking ANY meat not cured with nitrates/nitrites carries some risks, and special care, NO MATTER WHAT THE COOKING METHOD.

For our purposes, cold-smoking refers to smoking at temperatures below 165° F (74° C).

3) Ground meat, especially, should NEVER be cold-smoked unless it's been cured first with a nitrate/nitrite cure! It's too risky. This is an old sausage maker's rule and Sous Vide does NOT change this!

How does cold-smoking create an extra hazard?

There's a common notion that smoke, alone, will preserve meat. After all, our forefathers and natives preserved meat using smoke, right?

While it's true that smoke contains carbolic acid (phenol), which is a preservative, the meat was typically hung on racks angled over OPEN fires, NOT in a cold-smoke chamber. THERE IS A DISTINCT DIFFERENCE!

Smoking on open racks still allows for oxygen to circulate around the meat. Cold smoking in a BBQ pit or electric smoker, however, creates an oxygen-depleted environment and THIS, combined with the associated temperatures, is where the problems lies. It creates the perfect conditions for anaerobic bacteria to thrive.

What is Anaerobic Bacteria?

Aerobic means "having oxygen."  Anaerobic means "lacking oxygen."

so...

Aerobic Bacteria - are those that need oxygen to survive.

Anaerobic Bacteria - do NOT need oxygen, and can survive and/or thrive in an oxygen-depleted environment, depending upon the type.

There are two basic types of Anaerobic Bacteria:

Facultative Anaerobes - such as E. Coli & Salmonella can live in both oxygen rich or oxygen deprived environments. They are not nearly as dangerous as obligate anaerobes when it comes to cold-smoking. This is because in an oxygen-deprived environment, faculative anaerobes simply switch over into a fermentation mode until killed off by pasteurization temperatures.

Facultative Anaerobes - Wikipedia

However...

Obligate Anaerobes - such as Clostridium Botulinum, given the right temperatures, thrive and reproduce in oxygen deprived conditions. These types of anaerobes are particularly dangerous because as they propagate they release toxic spores which are resistant to temperatures below 230° F

Obligate Anaerobes - Wikipedia

Why not cold-smoke Ground Meat?

Ground meat is NOT the same as cooking a whole cut of meat.  With whole cuts of meat, bacteria that normally lives of the surface gets destroyed quickly enough under normal cooking conditions, to prevent problems. With ground meat, however, that bacteria gets mixed into and throughout the meat when it's ground, so it's now in oxygen deprived conditions. The only thing keeping the anaerobic bacteria in check are refrigeration temperatures of 40° or less.

Under normal cooking conditions, burgers, meat loaf, sausages, etc. are cooked to safe internal temperatures quickly enough to prevent problems.

Cold-smoking uncured ground meat creates a perfect breeding ground for C. Botulinum to propagate and release enough spores to exceed toxic levels. This in turn can cause botulism poisoning which can lead to paralyses and even death.

Botulism - Wikipedia

How does this tie into Sous-vide?

Sous-Vide temps, given proper time, will pasteurize the meat and reduce anaerobic bacteria to safe levels. HOWEVER, normal Sous Vide cooking temps WILL NOT destroy toxic C. Botulinum spores.

From the Wikipedia sous-vide entry:
...Pasteurization kills the botulism bacteria, but the possibility of hardy botulism spores surviving and reactivating once cool remains a concern as with many preserved foods, however processed...

Consider this for a moment: It's well known that canning green beans, and other non-acidic foods, requires Pressure Canning which allows water to reach high enough temperatures to destroy any possible C. Botulinum spores and toxin.

What Sous-Vide Time & Temps are required to destroy C. Botulinum Spores?

The following FDA data shows that, even with sous vide, C. Botulinum spores (type E.) require an exposure of 100 minutes at 158° F (70° C) for the toxic spores to be destroyed. And, of course, higher temps will destroy them quicker - exposure to temps greater than 230° F (110° C) will destroy the type E. spores in less than 1 second.

Other values to be noted are the D-value of 36.2 min (k = 0.064/min) for Bacillus cereus spores at 95 °C and 100 min (k = 0.023/min) for C. botulinum non-proteolytic Type E spores at 70 °C. When expressed at 110 °C, these D-values become 1.18 min for the B. cereus spores and less than 1 sec for the Type E spores.

Excerpt from: Section 1.2.2.2. - Thermal processes, U.S. FDA  Kinetics of Microbial Inactivation for Alternative Food Processing Technologies - FDA

Staying Safe

How can I safely get smoke flavor into ground meats?

There are a couple of easy ways:

1) Add a few drops of liquid smoke to the ground meat and mix it in.

2) Add some smoked paprika to the ground meat and mix it in. Since paprika is a dry product it cannot harbor the food-borne pathogens that cause concern (E. Coli, Salmonilla or C. Botulinum).  This trick works great!

What about whole cuts of meat - what's the risk?

Even whole cuts of meat carry extra risk if cold-smoked first.

Your choice here is quite simple. Either:

1) Don't Do it.  Instead use a little liquid smoke, or smoked paprika.

3) If you DO risk it, keep your pit as cold as possible, keep it under 30 minutes, and BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO SEAR THE OUTSIDE OF THE MEAT BEFORE serving it!

Searing temps are normally well above 230°, so a quick sear should take care of any spores present on the outside of the meat.

As with all else, when in doubt - ERR ON THE SIDE OF SAFETY and let common sense rule!

There are more resources available. If you have a good one, PLEASE post it in this thread!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:09:59 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Cold Smoking Prior to Sous-Vide Cooking - What are the risks?
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
I hope everyone with ANY interest in Sous Vide will read the above post in the spirit which it is intended.

While it is not the job or responsibility of anyone here to tell you what you should or should not do....I think of the area of risks associated with cold smoking of ground meats in the same fashion as making a sausage that is low temp. smoked.
You need to understand how, when and why curing salts are to be used in order to keep you and more importantly anyone you intend to feed safe.....right?

This is no different. But it is also not commonly discussed.

So if you need to throw rocks or rotten tomatoes...feel free. But I have tossed and turned enough nights trying to collate this information with Cliff into a format that we hope will be received well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:35:42 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the information gentlemen.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
Thanks for the information gentlemen.

X2! ;)

Very good info thanks for taking the time to research and post it.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »
Fine info,thank you very much.VERY much,advice heeded! ;)

For sure I wont cold smoke the burger. But something Im not clear on.

If its safe to smoke while adhering to the 40-140F in 4 hour rule,why wouldnt it be safe to cold smoke,say ambient temp about 60F or less for an hour or so before SV on whole muscle meat?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks for all your research on this subject. I'm new to SV and need all the safe info I can handle. Thanks again.  Pam     .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
Good information!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
Great information! Thanks Cliff and Tim!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!  Your hard work on this important subject matter is greatly appreciated!  ;)

Offline CaptJack

King of the OldSmokey

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
This information is great.  If you have not already done so, I recommend saving the Douglas-Baldwin link, and then look at the videos.  I learned a lot, and am still learning about sous vide.  This is the best guide that I have seen out there so far.  Thanks for posting.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
This is a really good question!

...something Im not clear on.

If its safe to smoke while adhering to the 40-140F in 4 hour rule,why wouldnt it be safe to cold smoke,say ambient temp about 60F or less for an hour or so before SV on whole muscle meat?

First, as far as I'm aware that "get to 140° within 4 hours" rule generally applies to Hot-smoke temps of 165° or greater, NOT cold-smoke temps.

Second, from a safety standpoint, even with a 60° pit temp, there is still at least a nominal risk when cold-smoking ANY uncured meat.

A 60° pit seems cool to you and me, but it's just within the optimal temperature range for rapid C. Botulinum growth.

Based on findings in: "Effect of temperature on... cell growth of Clostridium Botulinum."

So, as I mentioned above, if you DO choose to cold-smoke a whole cut of meat prior to sous-vide, then I'd keep my pit as cool as possible and I'd be sure to sear the outside of the meat really well before serving.

Hope this makes sense!

Cliff
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:04:40 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
Thanks Cliff. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
Excellent information and back up research - very well presented. Thank you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
Great job, Cliff!  When I get back from the beach I will look into my ServSafe book to see if there is anything to add to your research.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11