Author Topic: New to me smoker. Season and inaugural smoked dinner  (Read 68251 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Re: New to me smoker. Season and inaugural smoked dinner
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
Now if the polar vortex will piss off back north I can smoke a couple of brined chickens and some other goodies

Just wait a bit, Al Gore's global warming is going to take care of of this cold weather. In a couple of years you be able to just sit the chicken outside and it will cook without a smoker or grill.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
Chief,
my first modification was drilling a few holes in the raised edge around the water/chip tray. I have read about the smoker boiling off the water so I though that would help. I've also ordered a new regulator assembly from one of my homebrew suppliers. Has a needle valve, good psi etc. The weather here has been a little crappy so I've been making my mods ahead of my first smoke.
My page is on flickr under (thatbrewerdude) or (Dave Scarborough). It shows my homebuilt hot/ cold smoker and the gas smoker. Regarding your smoker, make sure it has the new regulator assy. There was a recall on my particular model. The guy that sold it to me (craigslist) said he got scared of it after the cabinet loaded up with LP and he restarted it. Said the boom scared him so bad he jumped off the porch into the rosebushes.

Twopockets, if it starts to get that warm, I'll just move back to Maine. Ain't no Hell strong enough to warm that place...

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »
There is another method of smoking chicken other than low and slow, check it out at <a href="http://www.smoker-cooking.com/how-to-smoke-whole-chicken.html">Smoker Cooking</a>

That sounds like a good idea. Saved it. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »
Brewer
The smoker water pan is the same as mine. I do stopped using the outside of the pan  for water, I filled it with sand and just use the cup for wood. I use a water pan from a Brinkman electric smoker that I had (element burned out) and it sits on the bottom rack rails of the smoker. I use that for my water it holds almost a gallon. I did read about the recall for the regulator but mine came with the new type. I did change my regulator to help control the temps. It has a needle valve in line just below the regulator. I use the needle valve to help with maintaining temps. I have pictures I took, I'm not sure how to post them on this site. I guess I will research that when I get done with honey-do's. I also sealed my door with a 600 deg RTV sealant to keep the door from leaking heat and smoke. It took me a few months to do the modifications but sealing the door was first. I was not sure about the sand and stuff so I read and proceeded slowly gathering data before moving to the next mod. I did something today that I did not think I would be able to do with that smoker. I cold smoked about 1 1/2 lbs of cheese in 45 min and never exceeded 76 Deg. F. I put in the refrigerator to let it age for 24 hours? So I guess tomorrow will be the test. Let me know how that mod works on your water tray.
CM         
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »
Along with the fire brick that I used..I also added sand to the water holder thing.  I use a stainless steel pan to hold water on the bottom shelf. just realize it's kinda yucky to use in the kitchen after smoking, but mine is a dedicated thing now.  Your bride may not like that. Gotta keep them brides happy.  just sayin.   Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
So, I finished up my smoker modifications and the inaugural test is on for tomorrow. I cold brined an organic chicken for about 4 hours today and now chicken is covered in rub until lunchtime tomorrow.
Fingers crossed

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
So, I finished up my smoker modifications and the inaugural test is on for tomorrow. I cold brined an organic chicken for about 4 hours today and now chicken is covered in rub until lunchtime tomorrow.
Fingers crossed

Good luck - looking forward to your "report" and pictures!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »
Fingers crossed

X2  :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 08:30:30 PM »
When will tomorrow get here?  I'm lookin' forward to seein' some results from all this...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »
You an' me both,Jaxon. I may even break out the WallyWill cold smoker for another batch of cheese while I'm waiting on the chicken.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 12:55:18 AM »
Fingers crossed

X2  :P

X3! ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »
Finished smoking the beer can chicken and also cold smoked some more cheese today. Where to start?

The modifications to the smoker were only 50% successful. Drilling the holes around the chip bowl didn't make much of a difference. I held heat at 225 degrees, 240 degrees, 265 degrees, and 300 degrees (last 15 minutes) but the water boiled off every 30 minutes.Back to the drawing board on that. The new regulator with needle valve worked fantastic

The chicken was fork tender, good smoke flavor and the maverick temperature probe worked flawlessly. I cooked the chicken for about 3.5 hours and the temp in the breast was 166 degrees

All in all, a good first smoke

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
Dave it sounds like your making progress. A couple of questions about your temps? Were you monitoring the temps after your initial settings or were you adjusting
for a smoker target range? What was the outside temperatures during the process? Did your upper door leak smoke?
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 06:51:26 PM »
I wanted to see if I could reach and hold certain temps on this particular smoker. The ambient temp was about 55 degrees F. 225 F was the lowest I could mantain for more than a block of a time. I now understand the other owners dislike of the combination chip/water pan.

If I had my wish, I could low smoke summer sausage at 120 or so and then take it up to 150. I lke the masterbuilt smoker with the big hole over the burner, and the water tray, and the wood chip tray. I'd like to mod mine like that.

I'm only smoking food for 3 people at a time so I don't need a monster smoker. Plus I don't need something that I need to feed every hour or so. Make any sort of sense?

DS

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:49 PM »
Dave
How  well did the upper door seal keep the smoke inside the cabinet? I ran into the same issues with water using the Char boil pan. I use sand in the pan around the chip cup, and a larger water water pan just above the chip pan. I found with the sand and the 1 gal. water pan that my temps hold fairly steady and return quickly to the established set temperature if I open the main door for tending to meet or adding water. On a 12 hour smoke I usually fill the water pan twice and only with hot water when the water level drops below 1/4 remaining.
CM 
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device