Author Topic: It was supposed to be just a regular grocery shopping trip.........  (Read 16291 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: It was supposed to be just a regular grocery shopping trip.........
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »
I'm glad there's other folks that feel the same way I do. I love my MAK, but I HAVE to have(well at least it feels that way) a charcoal grill, a stick burner, an outside griddle and.....now... a pellet cooker at all times. Each and every one brings me joy and each and every one serves a distinct purpose.

I agree that multiple cookers are great. charcoal, IR fryers, Propane oil fryers, Gas Grills & Griddles Etc.  Just can't get into smokers at this time lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
Congrats partner.  Nice looking pit.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline akjeff

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
I'm glad there's other folks that feel the same way I do. I love my MAK, but I HAVE to have(well at least it feels that way) a charcoal grill, a stick burner, an outside griddle and.....now... a pellet cooker at all times. Each and every one brings me joy and each and every one serves a distinct purpose.

Amen!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline akjeff

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
I think you did pretty damn good on both counts. Buying the pit, and the PUI(Posting Under the Influence)! ;D

I want a stick burner something awful, but getting a good USA made one shipped to Alaska is crazy expensive. Just been watching craigslist until I find a cheap air compressor or propane tank of the proper size, and roll my own.

Good luck with the offset, and look forward to your cook reports!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff, stay diligent and watch CL constantly......something will pop up. Just insist on 1/4 inch. I know you can get by with 3/16 but 1/4 makes all the difference.

Once my pit got to 250 and I needed to add wood, I had to add smaller splits because that thick metal was holding the heat in and I did not need a large fire.

You will actually use more wood with thinner metal pits.

Appreciate the advice, and I will heed it! I think a 60-80 gallon air compressor should be close to 1/4" thick. I intend to do a reverse offset design, so the extra plate inside should add additional thermal mass to it as well.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Pappymn

It was supposed to be just a regular grocery shopping trip.........
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
Congrats buddy. Looks like you are so set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
Boy I find a $30 dollar Weber still in the box for $10 bucks and Kimmie has to think it over before I can get it  :D 

Congrats Smoke!!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »
Congrats!  Cool Story and a great Deal!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
And here I am...saying goodbye...

It just got to be too much for me to tend the fire all day.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »
Jeff

There are a lot of recycle places around these days. They come up with all kinds of cool stuff including air tanks. Talk to them and let them know what you're looking for. Maybe they will call you if one comes in.
   You can buy old Propane tanks at the gas company for scrap price most of the time. Do your homework! before you start remove any pressure first thing. Remove the valves and clean it out good before you do anything else
   I have had "The Tank" now for 18-20 years. The bottom of the tank is getting thinner now and I noticed a pinhole leak between the tank and the fire box which will be fixed with a new bead around it.  I soon (next couple years) will have to weld a new bottom in it.  It has turned out many many fun meals. 

I think you did pretty damn good on both counts. Buying the pit, and the PUI(Posting Under the Influence)! ;D

I want a stick burner something awful, but getting a good USA made one shipped to Alaska is crazy expensive. Just been watching craigslist until I find a cheap air compressor or propane tank of the proper size, and roll my own.

Good luck with the offset, and look forward to your cook reports!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff, stay diligent and watch CL constantly......something will pop up. Just insist on 1/4 inch. I know you can get by with 3/16 but 1/4 makes all the difference.

Once my pit got to 250 and I needed to add wood, I had to add smaller splits because that thick metal was holding the heat in and I did not need a large fire.

You will actually use more wood with thinner metal pits.

Appreciate the advice, and I will heed it! I think a 60-80 gallon air compressor should be close to 1/4" thick. I intend to do a reverse offset design, so the extra plate inside should add additional thermal mass to it as well.

Jeff
Terry "Way down in Alabama"